PDA

View Full Version : Glossy, Translucent Acrylic effect

LilMark
05-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Hi guys ---

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for creating a smooth, glossy/glassy (as streak-free as possible), translucent layer? I'm painting a lollipop, and I want the BG (which will be matte/satin) and the lollipop stick to be partially visible through the translucent lolly/candy circle.

Would adding a gloss medium would do the trick, and if so, any estimates on the ratio/how much to add? My original thought was to thin it with water and then varnish, but I'm thinking the medium would be the better way. I don't have much experience with using them.

Thanks in advance!!

Artchrispy
05-02-2018, 01:42 PM
In the lolly pops try using only transparent or semi transparent pigments to mix your colors and don't use white. I know they sell a glazing medium but I've never tried it. A gloss medium would help thin the paint and shouldn't hurt. I think the trick is using the right tube colors to keep the lollipops looking translucent.

LilMark
05-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Thank you, Artchrispy! I always go for opaque pigments so I will get some transparent ones. :)

Ellis Ammons
05-02-2018, 02:11 PM
nice work there.

liquitex glazing medium and a little bit of transparent pigment is sort of like painting with glass. It dries very quick though. I wouldn't mix any water with it.

Mix it up and then apply it with a different brush. You'll get streaky glazes otherwise.

LilMark
05-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Thank you for those tips, Ellis! Definitely helpful; especially the mixing with separate brushes.
And just FYI, I guess it's too late to edit my first post, but the lollipop picture isn't my work, it's just visual reference for the look I'm aiming for.

cliff.kachinske
05-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Adding just a little bit of flow improver should help get brush mark free glazes.

Here's how little: premix 20 parts water to 1 part flow improver. Then use very little of the pre-mixed solution.

Zinc white is fairly transparent and it lightens other colors without making them chalky.

As always with a new technique, test first.

LilMark
05-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Thank you, Cliff -- I am definitely taking notes here. Though I'll have to test the zinc white first -- I wasn't looking to lighten the lollipop color per se, but that might help it 'pop' (no pun intended) a bit more against the BG...hmmm. All good tips!

Cindy Schnackel
05-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Golden makes a Leveling Gel that spreads out nicely if you don't keep disturbing it, and dries very clear and glossy. https://www.goldenpaints.com/technicalinfo_selfgel

old_hobbyist
05-04-2018, 08:45 AM
Here's a trick I've used. Put some subtle folds in the "film" in the form of highlights. It will give the appearance of a glossy film.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81YDYdjeZdL._SX355_.jpg

theBongolian
05-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Add some specular highlights.
A specular highlight is the bright spot of light that appears on shiny objects when illuminated.

talisman
05-05-2018, 07:02 AM
Interesting question and great advice.
Please post your results, I'm curious.

LilMark
05-06-2018, 01:30 AM
Thank you for the advice, everybody!

old_hobbyist and theBongolian, at this time, I'm looking to create the actual physical effect I'm describing, but I like those ideas and will keep 'em in the bank. :)

Cindy -- I think the leveling gel might do the trick. I obtained a sample from my local art store.

My original plan was to mask the circle and pour or gently brush the gel/paint mixture over it - though the gel's spreading/leveling properties might make the mask removal difficult. Then I thought about creating a makeshift mold (like a cardboard tape roll) and lining it with parchment or wax paper to prevent sticking, and do a 'pour'. If successful, it would produce a bit of a raised 3-D look...I wonder if it's doable. So, for anyone who's still reading, any ideas on a smooth, non-stick barrier that won't disrupt the outline of the circle?

LavenderFrost
05-07-2018, 11:41 AM
I would paint them to look like the photo and then use something like Glossy Accents or resin to make them 3D.