PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes -- May 2018 Challenge

Pages : [1] 2

ColinS
05-01-2018, 12:26 AM
WELCOME TO THE DIFFERENT STROKES CHALLENGE FOR MAY 2018

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302516)

Few rules -

All entries must be for this challenge and in acrylics - any type of acrylic.

Join in the discussion about the project - it's friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images!

A 'reveal' date for all is 21st of the month - that gives us 3 weeks to make the work, plus an extra week for latecomers.

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 21ST OF THE MONTH.**
If work is uploaded early it will be moved to a safe place until 21st.

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations - that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!
By all means ask questions in the thread or initiate discussion about the challenge - just don't post images!!!

The theme for this month is ………….

Vermeer

Johannes Vermeer (1632 -1675) has become known as one of the most celebrated artists of the Dutch Golden Age.

Some of is paintings, like the Girl With the Pearl Earring have become iconic (there was even a movie about it), and there has been much speculation as to whether Vermeer made use of optical devices such as the camera obscura to assist his drawing (there was even a movie about it).

So what is the challenge?

To produce something inspired by Johannes Vermeer.

I like to give you several options, so you may:

1. Do a Master Copy of a Vermeer painting.
2. Do a Copy of a Vermeer painting (pinch his subject) but, do it in your own style!
3. Paint your own painting of a person or scene that interests you, but do it in a way that reflects the influence of Vermeer.

Portrait?

Girl with a Pearl Earring

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2018/1183569-800px-Meisje_met_de_parel.jpg

Interior?

Woman Writing a Letter with her Maid

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2018/1183569-800px-Woman_writing_a_letter,_with_her_maid,_by_Johannes_Vermeer.jpg

Landscape?

View of Delft
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2018/1183569-Vermeer-view-of-delft.jpg

Streetscape?

The Little Street

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2018/1183569-800px-Johannes_Vermeer_-_Gezicht_op_huizen_in_Delft,_bekend_als_Het_straatje_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

How would Vermeer have handled the subject?

Now have fun! Or as the Dutch might say: Sich amuseren!

WoodyWelch
05-01-2018, 04:09 AM
Oh Lordy what I could do with this....it's called THE PROCURESS - but I ain't a-gonna 'cause it's too damn easy.

WoodyWelch
05-01-2018, 04:17 AM
ALSO....putting a buxom wench riding on one of these things is sorta stretching it so I won't do this. :)

(What? It's a Vermeer....what?)

WoodyWelch
05-01-2018, 04:23 AM
I have TWO (Count 'em....2 :clap: ) Vermeers that I can do, so instead of tossing a coin to see which one, I'll just do BOTH! I won't tell ya which two paintings I am going to "update" but I will post each painting with its original Vermeer inspiration..

This'll be fun :clap: :clap:

bluefish
05-01-2018, 07:00 AM
Woody....we know the two paintings you are working on......."EVIL FAT GIRL WITH AN EARING AND A BRA'" and "SMILING SKINNY GIRL WITH AN EARING AND NO BRA".....:angel: :lol: :wave:

Charlie's Mum
05-01-2018, 08:35 AM
Oh dear Colin - you know that saying about 'famous last words' and your final comment in April's thread? .......... well. look who showed up here and with what ideas!!!!!!! :lol:

For me - I just love this idea - don't usually copy things but always wanted to copy a Vermeer, just to see if I could! .......... 'course, it may well turn out just to be 'my style' instead!
Thank you for a blessedly 'normal' challenge!

maryinasia
05-01-2018, 08:40 AM
yay! and I have time! Looking forward to this!

ColinS
05-01-2018, 09:08 AM
:lol: Woody

Well it's good to know that someone is inspired!

ColinS
05-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Woody....we know the two paintings you are working on......."EVIL FAT GIRL WITH AN EARING AND A BRA'" and "SMILING SKINNY GIRL WITH AN EARING AND NO BRA".....:angel: :lol: :wave:

How about throwing in a harpsichord? :lol:

ColinS
05-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Maureen I hope you try that copy to see how it goes.

ColinS
05-01-2018, 09:14 AM
yay! and I have time! Looking forward to this!

Glad you're in, Mary! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

talisman
05-01-2018, 09:28 AM
Cool Challenge and good variations, I'd love to be able to do a master copy, but it might be outside my skill set.
So I'll think on what to do.

bluefish
05-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Dianna...it would make Maureen happy if you did..."Fat Man with an Earing but no Mask!"......:lol: :lol: :smug:

LavenderFrost
05-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Woody, that is what my husband thought of when we saw the name Vermeer, called it a ditch witch lol. He also thinks of balers. I said most people would think of the Girl with a Pearl Earring? Never heard of it. :lol:

Good challenge Colin.

Attalus
05-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Okay, I admire Vermeer more than any other artist. One of my clandestine hobbies is snarking to Susie about various people's attempts to capture "Girl With a Pearl Earring." I'll have to think about it long and hard.
PS: Woody: that guy on the far left of "The Procuress" is wearing the same tunic as the artist in "The Artist's Studio." :clear:

Attalus
05-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Okay, got an idea. I am excited, now. Hint: It is not to try and redo "Girl With a Pearl Earring." :D

WoodyWelch
05-01-2018, 03:51 PM

LOLOLOL.....:lol::lol::lol:

no...:cool:

I am using the lovely and talented Victoria X Rave as the basis for GIRL WITH A SILVER NOSE RING (I'm not kidding) and am doing a variation on "Guitar Player" with MY updating being Joan Jett (from a picture from the late eighties) So those are my two. Seriously. :wave:

WoodyWelch
05-01-2018, 03:53 PM

Well it's good to know that someone is inspired!

:thumbsup:

WoodyWelch
05-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Woody, that is what my husband thought of when we saw the name Vermeer, called it a ditch witch lol. He also thinks of balers. I said most people would think of the Girl with a Pearl Earring? Never heard of it. :lol:

Good challenge Colin.

:lol::rolleyes:

Margaretta
05-01-2018, 04:41 PM
My uncle was Flemish and he and my aunt took my cousin and I for our first trip abroad to Bruges when I was 14 years old. I have loved the old buildings and Vermeer's paintings have been very relevant since then. It's a great opportunity to try his palette and recall visits to Bruges. Thank you Colin.

Mayfly
05-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Oh Awesome Vermer....I know nothing about the artist. Time to learn.:clap: Sounds fun.

ColinS
05-01-2018, 10:11 PM
Okay, got an idea. I am excited, now. Hint: It is not to try and redo "Girl With a Pearl Earring." :D

Great to hear you are already into it, Bill. :thumbsup:

ColinS
05-01-2018, 10:14 PM
My uncle was Flemish and he and my aunt took my cousin and I for our first trip abroad to Bruges when I was 14 years old. I have loved the old buildings and Vermeer's paintings have been very relevant since then. It's a great opportunity to try his palette and recall visits to Bruges. Thank you Colin.

That is cool that you have a kind of personal connection Margaretta. Can't wait to see your brush with Bruges. :D

ColinS
05-01-2018, 10:16 PM
Oh Awesome Vermer....I know nothing about the artist. Time to learn.:clap: Sounds fun.

If you use Google just avoid the farm machinery hits.

:lol:

bluefish
05-02-2018, 07:29 AM
you could paint a Vermer tractor with the operator wearing an earring! :angel: :lol: :music:

tinalewis
05-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Hello, thanks for the challenge Colin. I think I'll join in this month, I've been wanting to do a copy of Girl With A Pearl Earring for ages.

Imogene Thomas
05-02-2018, 08:06 AM
Well, it is like I just woke up and wonder what happened to April! Bong! I am hoping the month of May will allow time to paint. This sounds interesting! :)

Margaretta
05-02-2018, 08:23 AM
I have been reading about Vermeer's methods. He used the camera oscura and usually started with a light grey background and placed light blue or yellow on top for the area behind the figure. I'll give it a try!:) :clear:

ColinS
05-02-2018, 09:58 AM
Hello, thanks for the challenge Colin. I think I'll join in this month, I've been wanting to do a copy of Girl With A Pearl Earring for ages.
:clap:

Excellent! Welcome aboard Tina!

ColinS
05-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Well, it is like I just woke up and wonder what happened to April! Bong! I am hoping the month of May will allow time to paint. This sounds interesting! :)

I hope you do jump in. The water in Delft looks cold, but invigorating!

ColinS
05-02-2018, 10:03 AM
I have been reading about Vermeer's methods. He used the camera oscura and usually started with a light grey background and placed light blue or yellow on top for the area behind the figure. I'll give it a try!:) :clear:

And if you look at his interiors, he often shows the window on the left side with that cool natural light falling on the subject(s).

ColinS
05-02-2018, 10:06 AM
you could paint a Vermer tractor with the operator wearing an earring! :angel: :lol: :music:

Great idea, and very meta! We'll all look forward to seeing your creation, Blue! :D

Chrisha12
05-02-2018, 12:22 PM
I m in for the May challenge. Fingers crossed.

old_hobbyist
05-02-2018, 02:44 PM
How about a fur meer kat?

cliff.kachinske
05-02-2018, 03:58 PM

Ouch. Or 'au,' according to Google translate.

ColinS
05-02-2018, 03:59 PM
I m in for the May challenge. Fingers crossed.

Welcome to the Challenge. :wave:

ColinS
05-02-2018, 04:01 PM

Put a pearl earring and a blue turban on it, and it works!

Attalus
05-03-2018, 10:22 PM
Aw rat! I had a good afternoon and not only got my entry blocked out but worked on the background like a good boy! :angel: New drawing desk is working a lot better than an easel. It doesn't move under my brush. Still smells a bit, but only faintly. Doubt if I would notice if it hadn't been so bad at first.

ColinS
05-04-2018, 12:46 AM
Cool Challenge and good variations, I'd love to be able to do a master copy, but it might be outside my skill set.
So I'll think on what to do.

I hope you join us Dianna.

koksie
05-04-2018, 03:37 AM
Maybe I take part this time. I am painting Vermeer's "Earring" for several months!

SusietheModel
05-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Aw rat! I had a good afternoon and not only got my entry blocked out but worked on the background like a good boy! :angel: New drawing desk is working a lot better than an easel. It doesn't move under my brush. Still smells a bit, but only faintly. Doubt if I would notice if it hadn't been so bad at first.Just think of it as a variation on 'New Car Smell,' big boy! :angel:

cliff.kachinske
05-04-2018, 12:39 PM
Maybe I take part this time. I am painting Vermeer's "Earring" for several months!

Now that gives me an idea. Maybe I should paint the earring and omit the girl. Hmmm ....

Charlie's Mum
05-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Welcome Crisha and Koksie ..............
I'm not surprised about the 'several months' for the painting ........ a month for the earring sounds more like it Cliff!:lol:

Attalus
05-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Just think of it as a variation on 'New Car Smell,' big boy! :angel:That's all right for you, smurf, but you weren't there when I first opened the thing. Wooo-EEE! Stinkum!

Myse
05-04-2018, 01:38 PM
I want to paint the girl with an earring for a long time... perheaps now?
But I have a commission too. I want to paint all I want!!!

Charlie's Mum
05-04-2018, 04:46 PM
Good Maryse! .. if only we could increase time! :)

Attalus
05-04-2018, 08:18 PM
I think I have got the colors right on my pic. Maybe. :clear:

ColinS
05-05-2018, 12:54 AM
Now that gives me an idea. Maybe I should paint the earring and omit the girl. Hmmm ....

Works for me. Hope you join in Cliff. :)

ColinS
05-05-2018, 12:55 AM

Cliff is gong to paint the other earring. :D

Welcome to the Challenge. :thumbsup:

ColinS
05-05-2018, 12:56 AM
I want to paint the girl with an earring for a long time... perheaps now?
But I have a commission too. I want to paint all I want!!!

Welcome Myse. Will hope you get time to do your dream Vermeer. :wave:

ColinS
05-05-2018, 12:57 AM
I think I have got the colors right on my pic. Maybe. :clear:

Well done. :thumbsup:

Attalus
05-05-2018, 01:15 AM
Well done. :thumbsup:We'll see. I hope you are right:clear:

LavenderFrost
05-05-2018, 10:08 AM

I just had the same thought lol.

Mayfly
05-05-2018, 10:12 AM
So, what other artist out there painted in a similar style as Vermeer? Just curious.

Attalus
05-05-2018, 10:43 AM
So, what other artist out there painted in a similar style as Vermeer? Just curious."Until 1860, the painting was considered to be by Vermeer's contemporary Pieter de Hooch" - Wiki

ColinS
05-05-2018, 02:09 PM
"Until 1860, the painting was considered to be by Vermeer's contemporary Pieter de Hooch" - Wiki

In landscape I think Vermeer resembles Jacob van Ruisdael.

For interiors there is Pieter de Hooch and an echo of Vermeer in Nicolaes Maes.

But Vermeer is Vermeer.

Attalus
05-05-2018, 04:50 PM
But Vermeer is Vermeer.Couldn't agree more :thumbsup:

talisman
05-05-2018, 08:22 PM
I am so lost on this one.
I love the artist but I am really not coming up with how to do this....still have several days to think.
I hope inspiration strikes.

ColinS
05-05-2018, 09:17 PM
I love the artist but I am really not coming up with how to do this....still have several days to think.
I hope inspiration strikes.

You could:

Take a scene from a Vermeer painting.

Transport the people in the scene back to 1000 AD more or less.

Shift the location from Holland to the Celtic fringe.

Paint the scene with attention to the effects of daylight through a window on the scene.

Voilà.

Mayfly
05-05-2018, 11:00 PM

Yep and why this is such an awesome challenge.....I am in the same conundrum. Thus the reason I was looking for other, similar, ideas for Vermeer. I have a few thoughts but the details and photo image accuracy he did is my stuck part. And, way beyond my abilities. Is there like a challenged teaching class?

Maybe I will do only a small pearl :) .

WoodyWelch
05-06-2018, 03:14 AM
My links to the Vermeer choices I have made are two-fold.....one, they are a send up of his titles and pictures but they are done in my style using model reference from "modern" times...and two, Vermeer used a camera obscura and I use, in the first few minutes of my work, an overhead projector. to make the portraits "just right" and to cut down on time consumption. Life is too short and in my many years in being an illustrator, everybody wanted it YESTERDAY. So.....

Also, a third connection...

Vermeer was Flemish

I'm getting over Bronchitis and am Phlegmish.

I think you should do whatever your gut instinct tells ya to do....have fun with the challenges. The diversity is what makes 'em fun to do and fun to see what others have done. That's why I seldom, if ever, do the "Draw The Pirate" type of challenges on some of the other sub forums....

I once did a challenge to Draw The Parrot and I put it on the shoulder of a sexy pirate girl 'cause that's the kind of guy I am...(Kept me out of the better schools :D )

bluefish
05-06-2018, 08:35 AM
there you go, people who can't decide....Woody did it for you......"sexy pirate girl, with EARRING and parrot on her shoulder".....now start painting....:wink2:

Woody......always here to help....:thumbsup: :lol: :wave:

WoodyWelch
05-06-2018, 09:59 AM
Uhhh....wha? Ummm....I uhh...HUH???:eek:

Just be original...do what you want....:)

SusietheModel
05-06-2018, 10:06 AM
I always do. :D

Charlie's Mum
05-06-2018, 02:34 PM
Carl and Dianna - painting from the Masters is good practice - whichever aspect you take ..... so even if you took 'THE earring, or tiled floor, or the mandolin, or some folds in a gown - all and any would be good practice:)

I haven't decided yet ........ came to the study this evening to do research and find myself here instead!:lol:

fedetony
05-06-2018, 02:52 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_paintings_by_Johannes_Vermeer

WoodyWelch
05-07-2018, 02:32 AM
I finished my "guitar player" painting over the weekend...it was easy...except because I can't draw a straight line, I had trouble with the strings on the neck of the instrument....but I decided not to "fret" over it.:cool:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:confused:

:envy: AWWW, PLEASE YOURSELVES!!!

Now onto THE GIRL WITH THE SILVER NOSE RING.:smug:

Charlie's Mum
05-07-2018, 07:44 AM
:lol: Woody!

found my reference last night so will get cracking- painting - when the weather changes - won't be long!:lol:

ColinS
05-07-2018, 09:39 AM

I am expecting
Girl with the Edam Cheese Tattoo

I have started on mine. Hurray. :)

LavenderFrost
05-07-2018, 10:50 AM
lol Phlegmish.

I have no ideas for this project but I can only do one a time anyway so I guess my fantasy project will be done first. Still time to think. He painted people a lot which I don't, so I was thinking about just doing an interior, maybe try to find my own reference, though today's everyday interiors aren't as charming as the old days. Morning light streaming in on the Keurig?

Attalus
05-07-2018, 12:20 PM
lol Phlegmish.

I have no ideas for this project but I can only do one a time anyway so I guess my fantasy project will be done first. Still time to think. He painted people a lot which I don't, so I was thinking about just doing an interior, maybe try to find my own reference, though today's everyday interiors aren't as charming as the old days. Morning light streaming in on the Keurig?Get refs from Architectural Digest and House Beautiful? :angel:
Mine is almost done background-wise, and then I get to start on the fun stuff: the people!

talisman
05-07-2018, 07:36 PM
I found what I'm going to do, so now I can start.

talisman
05-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Morning light streaming in on the Keurig?

I like this idea!

Attalus
05-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Done with my SciFi Challenge entry, back to my Acrylics work.

cliff.kachinske
05-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Started my entry. It's a little unconventional.

Margaretta
05-08-2018, 11:49 AM
Looking forward to OH's 'furry meer-kat'.:lol: I have set the scene on canvas but now need the model.... who is extremely reluctant!:( :rolleyes: Thinking of a bribe...did artists of olden days have to do that?

cliff.kachinske
05-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Looking forward to OH's 'furry meer-kat'.:lol: I have set the scene on canvas but now need the model.... who is extremely reluctant!:( :rolleyes: Thinking of a bribe...did artists of olden days have to do that?

You have a meerkat too?

Margaretta
05-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Cripes! No way!:eek: No, my model is a fiery 'mademoiselle' without furry ears although they are much pierced! I wonder whether ladies had their ears pierced in Vermeer's time?:)

Charlie's Mum
05-08-2018, 05:14 PM
I think they'd always be pierced rather than clip-on earrings Margaretta!:D

I have two meerkats ....... sadly, not real live ones!:) .. not using them as models though :eek: .......
have just started mine - not got far, but have started :smug:

Attalus
05-08-2018, 08:37 PM
I think they'd always be pierced rather than clip-on earrings Margaretta!:D

The ancients, both the Egyptians and the Hebrews, pierced both ears and noses! :eek:

Margaretta
05-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Thank you. Memories of pinching clip-ons when I was in my late teens: "Ouch!" Piercing really is the most comfortable way to wear earrings but I'm sure the methods in historic times were more uncomfortable than today. Of course Meerkats don't have to put up with that sort of thing. But if you are a Steiff bear.....:eek: :cat:

Charlie's Mum
05-09-2018, 12:46 PM
The ancients, both the Egyptians and the Hebrews, pierced both ears and noses! :eek:
Not so different from today then!:lol:

tuscanny
05-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Great theme! So glad we don't need to paint a master copy:angel:
I'll go for a Vermeer inspiration.

Attalus
05-09-2018, 02:21 PM
Not so different from today then!:lol:Looking over the history of jewelry fashion, I find very few new things under the sun

bluefish
05-09-2018, 03:03 PM
only Price!:lol:

Charlie's Mum
05-09-2018, 03:44 PM
Christel, glad you're joining us this month.:)

WoodyWelch
05-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Well, speaking as an old artist :lol:.....yes. (In my case, by the hour):D

WoodyWelch
05-09-2018, 05:04 PM
I was looking for Vermeer stuff and came across this painting by DARR SANDBERG entitled "Meerkat With A Pearl Earring.

Attalus
05-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Well, speaking as an old artist :lol:.....yes. (In my case, by the hour):DAlas, women willing to pose nude for an hour or so without a fee are few and far between. But they exist :)

SusietheModel
05-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Alas, women willing to pose nude for an hour or so without a fee are few and far between. But they exist :)Lucky for you, cheapskate :p:evil::smug:

Mayfly
05-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Think I have an idea.....now to learn to paint faces. Any tips besides Google it :lol:

Attalus
05-09-2018, 09:17 PM
Think I have an idea.....now to learn to paint faces. Any tips besides Google it :lol:I have some titles for books if you want links. :) Jack Hamm's Drawing the Head and Figure is the best IMHO but there are others.

Mayfly
05-09-2018, 09:31 PM
Sure give me a highly recommended title or 2. Thanks

ColinS
05-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Started my entry. It's a little unconventional.

Sounds intriguing Cliff!

ColinS
05-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Great theme! So glad we don't need to paint a master copy:angel:
I'll go for a Vermeer inspiration.

Sounds great Christel. Welcome aboard. :wave:

ColinS
05-09-2018, 10:15 PM
Love the Meerkat Woody.

Attalus
05-10-2018, 12:25 AM
Sure give me a highly recommended title or 2. Thankshttps://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Head-Figure-How-Handbook/dp/0399507914 (Jack Hamm's Drawing the Head and Figure) and https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Head-Hands-Andrew-Loomis/dp/0857680978/ref=pd_sim_14_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0857680978&pd_rd_r=9ADA97KTDPQYKS6YFH5J&pd_rd_w=W4w0X&pd_rd_wg=hNo83&psc=1&refRID=9ADA97KTDPQYKS6YFH5J

LavenderFrost
05-10-2018, 10:11 AM
I was looking for Vermeer stuff and came across this painting by DARR SANDBERG entitled "Meerkat With A Pearl Earring.

Omg, I think I found my inspiration.

Charlie's Mum
05-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Love that Meerkat and her earring!:lol:

Carl - try the figure forum on here and also portraiture forum - they'll be delighted to give you tips!:)

Attalus
05-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Got a lot done on my submission this morning. Looking better than I was afraid it would just a few days ago. Wonder if "Mona Lisa" went through "the Uglies?" :confused:

Attalus
05-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Okay! I think I am through with mine. I have gone from #4 brushes to 10-0, and now I can't find anything to niggle at. :clap:

maryinasia
05-11-2018, 06:23 PM
I've got mine started! But the lighting is from the right, not the left. I could just reverse the photo of my painting before posting...

ColinS
05-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Got a lot done on my submission this morning. Looking better than I was afraid it would just a few days ago. Wonder if "Mona Lisa" went through "the Uglies?" :confused:

Yup. Luckily Leo took a quick pic with his Kodak Instamatic so we have proof.

:evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2018/1183569-image.jpg

ColinS
05-11-2018, 09:11 PM
I've got mine started! But the lighting is from the right, not the left. I could just reverse the photo of my painting before posting...

Or we could look at it in a mirror.

Well done!

Attalus
05-11-2018, 09:24 PM
Yup. Luckily Leo took a quick pic with his Kodak Instamatic so we have proof.

Heh, well I guess I don't have to feel such a journeyman now. :wink2:

Mayfly
05-11-2018, 09:44 PM
And it is now worth $5,000,000.00......

Attalus
05-11-2018, 11:50 PM
Worst thing is, if it is by Leonardo, even if it was just graffiti in some dank jakes in Rome, it is worth 50 million billion kazillion zlotniks. :clear:

bluefish
05-12-2018, 07:01 AM
I think that is a picture of a 'blind date' I had in college....:lol: :)

ColinS
05-12-2018, 11:20 AM
I think that is a picture of a 'blind date' I had in college....:lol: :)

Charlie's Mum
05-12-2018, 12:40 PM
If Leo did that then there's hope for all of us yet!!

Dare I say I'm enjoying painting mine? ?... but had ti stop when I got interrupted and now must eat before friends come this evening.!

WoodyWelch
05-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Of course you guys know where that weird face photoshopped onto the Mona Lisa comes from...or you should. There was this Fresco that was falling apart (it might've been in Rome or someplace like that) and this very elderly lady volunteered to restore it. And there you have it! :lol:

It boggles the mind that some people have no ability to gauge their talents or lack thereof....When I saw this on the news I couldn't believe it....:eek:

It's one of the funniest "art" stories in recent times. :D

Attalus
05-12-2018, 04:38 PM
Of course you guys know where that weird face photoshopped onto the Mona Lisa comes from...or you should. There was this Fresco that was falling apart (it might've been in Rome or someplace like that) and this very elderly lady volunteered to restore it. And there you have it! :lol:

It boggles the mind that some people have no ability to gauge their talents or lack thereof....When I saw this on the news I couldn't believe it....:eek:

It's one of the funniest "art" stories in recent times. :DOkay, THAT's funny! :lol:

cliff.kachinske
05-12-2018, 04:57 PM
It's the way of the human, Woody. The less people know about a topic, the more likely they are to overestimate their skill. Google Dunning-Kruger effect for more info.

Alternatively, consider any random business exec who has declared bankruptcy four times.

ColinS
05-12-2018, 06:19 PM
It was a small church in rural Spain. I had googled to see if anyone had turned the "updated" Jesus into a copy of Girl with a Pearl, and Lo and behold beheld the Mona Lisa just in time to post a reply on point!

WoodyWelch
05-13-2018, 05:31 AM
More internet comedy I found while surfing the web..... :D

ColinS
05-14-2018, 12:04 AM

Made good progress on mine today but it is a big beast. It is actually coming along the way I want, so with some time management I can hopefully keep pushing during the week and get it done in time. Yikes already half way through May!!!

Charlie's Mum
05-14-2018, 06:00 AM
:lol: Woody!

Yes Colin, my thoughts are like yours! I'm really enjoying the way mine is progressing - but it is, after all, just a copy!
What's frustrating me is the lack of high res images and the quality of trying to reproduce those images for refs ........ even on screen the colours from one version to another vary greatly!
Never mind though, it's still good practice and making me enjoy painting again!:lol:

LavenderFrost
05-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Well, I got a reference at least, which wasn't easy because my model is very stubborn.

Attalus
05-14-2018, 11:57 AM
Heh, so is mine, but, luckily, she was in a good mood because of the stuff I let her/got her to wear. This was fun

cliff.kachinske
05-14-2018, 03:25 PM
More internet comedy I found while surfing the web..... :D

:lol: :lol:

Attalus
05-14-2018, 06:03 PM
More internet comedy I found while surfing the web..... :DGotta admit that if I were not, and I am happy to say that I am, in a steady committed relationship, I would much rather have a date with the "Girl with the Pearl Earring" than Mona. :wink2:

WoodyWelch
05-15-2018, 11:32 AM
Agreed. The girl with the pearl earring has a Scarlett Johansson vibe while the Mona Lisa looks like John Lennon in drag. To me, at any rate.:rolleyes:

WoodyWelch
05-15-2018, 11:44 AM
I have three paintings for the Vermeer challenge and so as not to clog up the postings I will post the best one ("best" on account of humor) on the 21rst.:cool:

Below is a "runner up"...Girl With A Silver Nose Ring....which is ok, I guess, but didn't make the final cut. Hopefully when you see my contribution on the 21rst you'll see why this is a runner up and not the one I chose. Hopefully.

Oh and I chose a low rez snapshot of Victoria to show that this little creature actually exists.....

bluefish
05-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Woody....where do you find these 'enchanting ladies' ?....in Sunday School? :confused: :smug:

Charlie's Mum
05-15-2018, 04:05 PM
All I can say is I'm glad I'm painting a Vermeer and not this model!:lol:

WoodyWelch
05-15-2018, 04:17 PM
Woody....where do you find these 'enchanting ladies' ?....in Sunday School? :confused: :smug:

:lol: I live in Hollywood, CA.

Next question?:cool:

Charlie's Mum
05-15-2018, 04:20 PM
Finished mine!:)

WoodyWelch
05-15-2018, 04:22 PM
All I can say is I'm glad I'm painting a Vermeer and not this model!:lol:

Wait 'til you see my final post on the 21rst....You'll LOVE that model :lol:

She'll bring out the animal in ya...:D

I can't tell you the title because that would give it away but it is most definitely inspired by GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING.

bluefish
05-15-2018, 06:44 PM
O'boy, I can't wait till the 21st...the mild little lamb in me will become a ferocious tiger!:eek: :lol: :wave:

Attalus
05-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Wait 'til you see my final post on the 21rst....You'll LOVE that model :lol:

She'll bring out the animal in ya...:D

I can't tell you the title because that would give it away but it is most definitely inspired by GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING.If it's scarier than that tattooed chick, I'm ringing my shotgun. :clear:

WoodyWelch
05-15-2018, 10:40 PM
It is. :lol:

Charlie's Mum
05-16-2018, 06:48 AM
5 days! :eek:

bluefish
05-16-2018, 09:37 AM
Maureen....I can just picture you 'curtsying to the Queen' with your flaming red hair and tattoos all exposed....:lol: :lol: :evil: :wave:

LavenderFrost
05-16-2018, 10:04 AM
Wow, that hair would require some neon paint.

I think I'm done. It's a mini, in more ways than one, and didn't take long.

maryinasia
05-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Vermeer painted minis :)

Attalus
05-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Okay, I am getting the strange urge to paint TattooGirl to where she look, um, normal. Normative, anyway. But I would like to work ˈɪkθəs into it. Hmmmm

WoodyWelch
05-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Vermeer painted minis :)

I didn't know he was into Little People. :rolleyes:

WoodyWelch
05-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Okay, I am getting the strange urge to paint TattooGirl to where she look, um, normal. Normative, anyway. But I would like to work ˈɪkθəs into it. Hmmmm

VICTORIA AIN'T NORMAL BUT SHE IS EXTREMELY SWEET & PRETTY :D Tattoos are hard to paint and NOT make them look like a newspaper cartoon....they have to conform to the body shape and reflect light and shadow... my goal is to do a nude of Michelle "Bombshell" McGee" once I can get enough photo references and pick an angle.

Attalus
05-16-2018, 10:11 PM
VICTORIA AIN'T NORMAL BUT SHE IS EXTREMELY SWEET & PRETTY :D Tattoos are hard to paint and NOT make them look like a newspaper cartoon....I believe it. That's why I am so tempted to paint her without them. Life is tough enough :wink2:

ColinS
05-17-2018, 12:05 AM
5 days! :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why didn't I do a mini?

SusietheModel
05-17-2018, 01:19 AM
VICTORIA AIN'T NORMAL BUT SHE IS EXTREMELY SWEET & PRETTY :D Tattoos are hard to paint and NOT make them look like a newspaper cartoon....they have to conform to the body shape and reflect light and shadow..Oh, Woody, don't worry. He is just teasing you. The key word is "paint." He would never waste paint and canvas on something just to irritate you. Rest assured.:angel:

WoodyWelch
05-17-2018, 05:29 AM
Why in the world would I worry? And more importantly, what am I supposed to be worried about? Lookit, some woman on "the figure" sub forum got her panties in a bunch because I did a nude drawing and called it A CLASSY CHASSIS. Her shock at my titling the picture with an old cliche' stirred up some doody, but as usual, I found it hilarious as I do with most SJW's. The complaining individual, who obviously doesn't know anything about strippers, pin-up models and slang terms from the 1940's, made me laugh. When she said that she thought my calling a lady by a car part was demeaning, I responded with..."I like automobiles....especially those with big headlights.":lol:

One of the moderators said, "Woody doesn't care what we think."

I don't. Life is too short to fumble through it without a sense of humor. :D

One old British guy in "Portraiture" said of a post I made that the ear was too low on the head. My response was a laughing icon:lol: and my succinct, "I don't care."

So, in closing.....

bluefish
05-17-2018, 06:36 AM
Woody...love your outlook on life as well as your incredible drawings.....:thumbsup:

PS...I'm from the 'classy chassis' era!:lol: :wave:

Attalus
05-17-2018, 12:03 PM
Ah, low-set ears. We learned about them in med school. :wink2:

WoodyWelch
05-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Woody...love your outlook on life as well as your incredible drawings.....:thumbsup:

PS...I'm from the 'classy chassis' era!:lol: :wave:

:D Thanks!!!

WoodyWelch
05-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Ah, low-set ears. We learned about them in med school. :wink2:

old_hobbyist
05-18-2018, 10:49 PM
I won't be joining everyone this month I had a severe medcal issue a week back that has affected the fine motor skills n my painting hand and arm. I've been painting with my non-dominant hand but I sure will need a lot more practice,

ColinS
05-18-2018, 11:44 PM
I won't be joining everyone this month I had a severe medcal issue a week back that has affected the fine motor skills n my painting hand and arm. I've been painting with my non-dominant hand but I sure will need a lot more practice,

That sounds like a real setback, Jim. Sorry that you are going through this. Hope all goes well. Will you get the fine motor skills back in your dominant hand?

Attalus
05-19-2018, 12:11 AM
I'll say a prayer, Jim :(

talisman
05-19-2018, 08:49 AM
Oh, Jim I'm so sorry!
I hope things improve for you, and as quickly as possible.

maryinasia
05-19-2018, 03:57 PM
old hobbyist, so sorry! looking forward to the paintings from your other hand in the meantime.

maryinasia
05-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Well, I've almost finished mine, except for her face. It looks partly like a Vermeer and mostly like a Mary...

Attalus
05-20-2018, 12:41 AM
Mine's done. And the female half of the sketch couldn't look less like Mary :angel:

ColinS
05-20-2018, 12:58 AM
Looking forward to seeing all your contributions. :clap:

Mine isn't done yet and I am now out of town for the Victoria Day weekend. Hopefully I can get home and finish it on the 21st!!

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2018, 09:03 AM
Jim - so sorry to hear about your health issues and hope they are resolved very soon - I'll miss your contribution.:(

Have to photo mine and re-size for tomorrow!:)

ColinS
05-20-2018, 09:58 AM
I should have brought my paint with me! We were awakened at 5:30am by a noisy gang from a bus tour in the hallway outside our room and I have been awake since. :(

LavenderFrost
05-20-2018, 10:47 AM
Very sorry for your health problems Jim. Was it you that hosted the non dominant hand challenge? Well, some of us know how hard that is.

SusietheModel
05-20-2018, 02:12 PM
Mine's done. And the female half of the sketch couldn't look less like Mary :angel:Don't feel much like her, either, today. :p

cliff.kachinske
05-20-2018, 03:04 PM
Jim, sorry to hear about this. I know you'll be back.

Charlie's Mum
05-20-2018, 03:51 PM
Sending some prayer and good wishes across to you Jim.:)

bluefish
05-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Jim .....it's amazing what you can develope utilizing your left arm....I had a similar situation happen to me ,some years ago...I fell off a ladder, damaging the tendons in my right arm...couldn't utilize it to paint for quite a while, so I learned to paint with my left arm....and I think the left arm paintings sold quicker than the old right arm ones....:lol:.......best of luck to you....:thumbsup: :wave:

maryinasia
05-20-2018, 09:56 PM
mine is finished! I think.

maryinasia
05-20-2018, 09:56 PM

ColinS
05-20-2018, 11:15 PM

:clap: :thumbsup:

tuscanny
05-20-2018, 11:38 PM
Based on a Vermeer inspiration. A4. Not perfect but actually I'm reasonably happy with the skintones
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2018/1256189-a4_ac_may_vermeer_inspirations.jpg

ColinS
05-21-2018, 12:16 AM
Based on a Vermeer inspiration. A4. Not perfect but actually I'm reasonably happy with the skintones
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2018/1256189-a4_ac_may_vermeer_inspirations.jpg

A girl, a pearl, a saucy ear
A well done take on Jan Vermeer!

:clap:

Charlie's Mum
05-21-2018, 06:48 AM
Well done Christel - you've changed it to your own viewpoint and made her look healthy! Nice one!:)

Here's mine - looking very pale and wan!
Done to a very similar size of Vermeer's original but on a piece of mountboard and in acrylics, of course!:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2018/30494-GWPE_3_light_adjusted.jpg

maryinasia
05-21-2018, 07:42 AM
love these women with earrings! so well painted! gorgeous light.

maryinasia
05-21-2018, 07:43 AM
Here's mine, inspired by Vermeer.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2018/185672-vermeer_finaljpg.jpg

ColinS
05-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Maureen- That's wonderful! Really mirrors the original very well!

Mary - Love your painting of the woman at her sewing work.

talisman
05-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Here's mine based on a reference in the references on WC posted by Yorky.
I thought it looked sort of like a Vermeer, the quiet everyday moments.

cem
05-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Christel.....Terrific version of the "girl". Yes, great skin tones and angle.

Maureen....So well done! A masterful rendition.

Mary....Oh my goodness...excellent work.

talisman
05-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Christel - Well done! It has the feel of that work and is very lovely. I like your deep colors.

Maureen -Lovely, the colors are so soft and well blended. The expression is perfect and great drapery also.

Mary - Your lady works so well, working on something, a wonderful take on the challenge, well done!

cem
05-21-2018, 10:25 AM
I tried but failed miserably. Really didn't have enough time to spend on such an ambitious challenge. But I'll show it anyway...incomplete. Plus my former version of the "girl" from a previous challenge here. 857114857115

talisman
05-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Cindy the lighting is great in your new one and lighting was always such a big thing in his artworks.

I like your "Modern" take on the girl from another challenge, fun and very well done.

tuscanny
05-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Maureen - she glows! Beautiful
Mary- love your woman at work!
Dianna - great concentration on the face of that lovely lady
Cindy - great start on the first landscape. Hope you finish it. Lovely modern version of the girl!

LavenderFrost
05-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Christel, nicely done. Very much a Vermeer but also your own.

Maureen, good work on yours too. Hey, ladies in the past would have been envious of that skin.

Mary, good work, a good example of a Vermeer inspired subject.

Dianna, another good example. Well done.

Cindy, I like what you started there. Please do finish it. It looks like it is nearly done. And good job on your version of the girl with the pearl earring.

tinalewis
05-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Jim - so sorry to hear that. Hope it gets better soon.

Christel - that's quite a success, I love it!
Maureen - great, and it looks like the original too.
maryinasia - nice scene, well painted.
Dianna - another lovely 'woman at work' painting.
Cindy - look forward to seeing your completed painting. Nice work (and crop) on the older piece.

Here's mine, 7.5 x 11.5 inches on 140lb CP watercolour paper. She looks like a completely different person, my eyeballing skills need some work!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2018/1207025-vemeer-girl-pearl-small.jpg

LavenderFrost
05-21-2018, 11:47 AM
Ok, here's my take... Dachshund with a Pearl Earring.

First challenge was getting my model to pose just right. Thank goodness for digital cameras lol. Only problem was she wasn't looking at me so my next challenge was to change the direction of her gaze in the painting. Took some fiddling. Also not easy to paint detail at this size, 3.5 inches square.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2018/104871-DachshundWithPearlEarring700x700.jpg

Here is a smaller version of the image in case you are looking at a large screen. On my 24" monitor this one is more like the real size.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2018/104871-DachshundWithPearlEarring350x350.jpg

And what it looks like in the pretty yard sale frame I found. lol
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2018/104871-DachshundWithPearlEarringframe.jpg

LavenderFrost
05-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Tina, she looks very much like the same person, good job!

tuscanny
05-21-2018, 11:51 AM
Tina - lovely version!
Michelle - Aww, beautiful!

Attalus
05-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Good work so far, all

Here's mine:
Titled: "Self Portrait with an Allegory of Painting."

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2018/1992124-Self-Portrait_as_Allegory_of_Painting.JPG

This was cut off by the scanner. Another 2" or so is on the left

Charlie's Mum
05-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Mary - this lady would equally say 'contentment'! Lovely!

Dianna - I like this - a good subject for Vermeer - nicely done!

Cindy - I remember your lady - nice to see her again! Love the alleyway - soft light, intimate - I do hope you finish.

Tina - definitely the same lady - nice work and glad you joined us.:)

Michelle - she's adorable - and a great version of the Vermeer!!! Lovely mini!

Bill - :lol: - you forgot to put your specs on!!!:D

Thank you for your comments on my work everyone.:)

ColinS
05-21-2018, 01:10 PM
Here's mine based on a reference in the references on WC posted by Yorky.
I thought it looked sort of like a Vermeer, the quiet everyday moments.

Looks very much like a subject Vermeer would have picked. Nicely done Dianna.

Attalus
05-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Bill - :lol: - you forgot to put your specs on!!!:D

Don't wear specs unless I am reading or out in the sun, milady. :p

Attalus
05-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Christel- Great expression and nice cloth folds

Maureen- nice eyes

Mary - good handling of the light

Dianna - looks like someone that Vermeer would have enjoyed painting.

Cindy - good street scene, nice tat

Tina - better than usual handling of the mouth

Michelle - sweet expression, cute pose

maryinasia
05-21-2018, 02:48 PM
talisman -- beautiful! love the quietness

cem -- beautiful road and buildings...leads the eye in....and love your take on the girl with a pearl earring

tina -- love your use of patches of color and light

lavenderfrost -- perfect. just perfect.

attalus -- fun! and love your Vermeer use of interior space

Attalus
05-21-2018, 04:09 PM
attalus -- fun! and love your Vermeer use of interior spaceThanks a bunch, Mary. Glad you noticed :)

Imogene Thomas
05-21-2018, 05:45 PM
According to history, Vermeer did this self-portrait. I found it interesting. First is the photo of his original, followed by my version. C &C Welcome always.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2018/157219-Cropped_version_of_Jan_Vermeer_van_Delft_002.jpg

My painting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2018/157219-Jan_Vermeer_Van_Delft_by_Jean_001.JPG

Attalus
05-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Nice, Jean. Great resemblance :)

tmwilliams
05-21-2018, 07:22 PM
You all did such amazing work! I may soon trust my skills enough to join one of these...

Attalus
05-21-2018, 07:24 PM
You all did such amazing work! I may soon trust my skills enough to join one of these...C'mon in, the water's fine! It's fun. :)

ColinS
05-21-2018, 08:22 PM
Here is mine finally (sort of) finished.

View of Victoria based, inspired on Vermeer's View of Deflt (I copied his sky)

24" x 30" stretched canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2018/1183569-FullSizeRender1.jpg

It needs a lot of tweaking, but I wanted to get it up today since I am the host after all how would it look if I had nothing when you have all done such a great job with your 'Vermeers'. :lol:

ColinS
05-21-2018, 08:50 PM
I tried but failed miserably. Really didn't have enough time to spend on such an ambitious challenge. But I'll show it anyway...incomplete. Plus my former version of the "girl" from a previous challenge here.

Good for you Cindy. I was planning to try a cityscape as well. Good start to it and do feel free to post any progress you make until the end of the month.

I remember the other one you had done for a challenge a few years ago. You did a very good job with that.

ColinS
05-21-2018, 08:51 PM
Tina - Wow that's really good!! :clap:

Michelle - That is very good. What a lovely painting of the dog. The fur is wonderful. :)

Bill - Nice. Reminds me of Vermeer's Geographer.

Jean - Nice work. You matched the portrait very well. :thumbsup:

Attalus
05-21-2018, 10:23 PM
Bill - Nice. Reminds me of Vermeer's Geographer.

Thanks, Colin. :clap:
I think you managed a nice Vermeer-like light:)

tuscanny
05-21-2018, 11:34 PM
Bill - love your scene!
Jean - lovely version of his portrait
Colin - impressive!
Thanks everyone for the lovely comments on my attempt.

Attalus
05-22-2018, 01:09 AM
Why, thanks, Christal! I liked yours, is all :)

Charlie's Mum
05-22-2018, 06:43 AM
Colin - that's a really impressive view and nicely delft with too!;) :)

Jean - good find! Well done from a fairly poor ref!

One of the nice things I've found with this challenge is that people who died a long time ago, and their lives/times have been given thought and remembrance .......
.. wonder if we might get that same consideration a couple of centuries hence! Nah!!!:lol:

maryinasia
05-22-2018, 07:58 AM
Imogene Thomas, fun! you caught his expression

ColinS, gorgeous light on the trees and water and buildings

ColinS
05-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Colin - that's a really impressive view and nicely delft with too!;) :)

...One of the nice things I've found with this challenge is that people who died a long time ago, and their lives/times have been given thought and remembrance .......
.. wonder if we might get that same consideration a couple of centuries hence! Nah!!!:lol:

You might, Maureen. :)

LavenderFrost
05-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Bill, a very good interpretation.

Imogene, good work. Not an easy subject. From what I read, that may be his only self portrait with his face in it.

Colin, looks great!

Charlie's Mum
05-22-2018, 11:10 AM
Colin - :lol: :D

Attalus
05-22-2018, 11:51 AM

You might, Maureen. :)Don't forget Vermeer was forgotten for umpteen years till he was discovered and "rehabilitated" in the 19th century. So there is hope. :)

talisman
05-22-2018, 12:35 PM
Michelle - What a charming and original take on the challenge. The frame just makes it that much more wonderful.

Bill - you put a great deal of yourself and Susie in this and pride in your State.

Imogene - Love that hat! I want one! Nicely done on that curly hair, that's always so hard to paint.

tmwilliams - do join in playing on these challenges has pushed me and made me a better artist. Plus the deadlines keep you from getting too fussy.

Collin - Wow! That is fantastic it has that wondeful vista and all the cool buildings and the tranquility of the water in the foreground, well done!

bluefish
05-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Maureen ..if you weren't discovered and 'rehabilitated' during the 19th century.....forget about It......lol!

Attalus
05-22-2018, 02:10 PM
Bill - you put a great deal of yourself and Susie in this and pride in your State. Why, thank you, Dianna. Yes, I tried. :)

bluefish
05-22-2018, 03:38 PM
I agree 100%....it was so nice to see you, Susie and the outline of Texas on the wall....great painting!:thumbsup:

SusietheModel
05-22-2018, 04:30 PM
- you put a great deal of yourself and Susie in this and pride in your State.

That i so sweet! He really put a lot of thought into it, and I enjoyed it, too. That is my old high school cheer tank, I had to go over to my Mom's and dig it out. Couldn't find the little skirt, though, so I had to go with shorts. That is supposed to be a flag in my hands. I told him that we didn't carry flags, so he just made it up. Lucky the scan cut it off. :):clap::wave:

SusietheModel
05-22-2018, 04:31 PM
I agree 100%....it was so nice to see you, Susie and the outline of Texas on the wall....great painting!:thumbsup:And thanks to you, too, blue! :):clap::music::wave:

Vivien Maloney
05-22-2018, 07:41 PM
Just having a quick look-in to see what you've all been up too with your Challenge for this month! And I'm lost in admiration! What wonderful acrylic work from everyone - and especially all those who did portraits! Superb blending techniques from everyone and a fabulous sky Colin, and what a gorgeous Dachshund with her pearl earing Michelle! Beautiful work! :clap:

ColinS
05-22-2018, 09:11 PM
Just having a quick look-in to see what you've all been up too with your Challenge for this month! And I'm lost in admiration! What wonderful acrylic work from everyone - and especially all those who did portraits! Superb blending techniques from everyone and a fabulous sky Colin, and what a gorgeous Dachshund with her pearl earing Michelle! Beautiful work! :clap:

Thanks Vivien. It's a real talent show here this month.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my painting.

ColinS
05-22-2018, 09:26 PM
Colin - :lol: :D

Well, think about it. This is one of the oldest websites on the Internet that was set up to provide a home for artists.

So,when someone goes to write their Master's thesis on the history of the Internet in 200 years, or the history of art in the early 21st century, this Website might have a unique place in the history.

You have been labouring here for a good long while, and have shared countless paintings, and they are all of a high quality. So you are very likely to be "noticed" by some grad student studying this place in the context of 21st century art, Internet, social media or popular history. :thumbsup:

cliff.kachinske
05-23-2018, 07:48 AM
I would add the first class encouragement and mentoring you have consistently provided.

Charlie's Mum
05-23-2018, 10:29 AM
I'm graciously saying 'thank you' both!:o:o :)

bluefish
05-23-2018, 11:11 AM
A real class act!....:thumbsup: :wave:

cem
05-23-2018, 05:11 PM
Okay, I'm calling this finished now. Tired of working on it. Still wet 8.5x11.5 watercolor paper (wish I had painted on canvas!)857149

cem
05-23-2018, 05:25 PM
Dianna....Colorful rendering of the woman at work. Nicely done.

Tina....Your girl with the pearl earring is very well done.

Michelle.....Great take on the pearl earring. Such a sweet looking pup.

Attalus.....I noticed the maps in many of Vermeer's paintings and found them intimidating but you had a great idea of showing our Texas.

Imogene....Wow, I did not see his self portrait when I was researching. Brave soul you. Well done.

Colin...You certainly did well with your View of Victoria. Very ambitious endeavor. Super job.

maryinasia
05-23-2018, 06:22 PM
beautiful!

Attalus
05-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Attalus.....I noticed the maps in many of Vermeer's paintings and found them intimidating but you had a great idea of showing our Texas.

Cindy, as you guessed, I got the idea from Vermeer's map obsession, and that old map of the Republic has always been a fave of mine. Thanks, from one (or two) Texans to another. :)

I like yours for the claustrophobic feeling it gives, relieved by the patch of sky. Well done

Mayfly
05-23-2018, 10:23 PM
WOW - tons of inspiration this month!!! A stunning showing of serious artist's present in this group!!!! Talent abounds. Awesome by all. :clap:

traysee
05-23-2018, 10:47 PM
After seeing everyone else's beautiful entries, I was hesitant but decided to show mine http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2018/1976956-IMG_20180518_164028_308.jpg

maryinasia
05-23-2018, 10:55 PM
I like her expression

tuscanny
05-24-2018, 01:14 AM
Cindy - beautiful finish.
Traysee - great going. I like the spontaneity of your painting.

LavenderFrost
05-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Nice finish Cindy.

Traysee, good work!

ColinS
05-24-2018, 10:58 AM
Cindy- glad you finished the streetscape (or alleyscape). I have always liked Vermeer's Little Street from when I was a kid and it was one of the paintings featured in the Parker Brothers game "Masterpiece". I like where you took this. :)

Traysee - glad you joined in with yours! I like it. There is some strong brushwork in your painting. A very different approach but all the more interesting.

ColinS
05-24-2018, 11:10 AM
I watched Tim's Vermeer last night on our Knowledge Network. Really fascinating how he "solved" the problem of creating a series of mirrors and lenses that allowed him to reproduce the Music Lesson in painstaking detail. Also interesting in how, as he worked, he gained insights into how the use of mirrors and lenses allowed him to achieve effects of lighting that are not typically visible because of the differences in what a camera "sees" compared to the human eye.

Another interesting point that came out in the movie is that we don't really know where Vermeer trained in art.

It took Tim months to paint his Vermeer, so congrats to all who did such skookum work in 21 days!!!

talisman
05-24-2018, 11:40 AM
Cindy- The street scene is lovely, so glad you finished it. The light is fantastic!

Trayee - I'm so glad you posted. We are all learning and striving to to better in each work. Joining in on these Challenges is a great way to improve.
On your girl, her eyes are lovely and the drapery is well done, she has a more playful expression which I think is charming!

maryinasia
05-24-2018, 09:23 PM
I also remember loving the paintings in the game "Masterpiece". I enjoyed seeing some of the paintings from this game live and in person in various museums as an adult...and knowing why they looked familiar.

WoodyWelch
05-24-2018, 10:25 PM
My computer fell on my head and it broke (.....the computer...NOT my head. I got a new comp and had a two day transfer of info from the old computer into the new one. So I'm late to the party....better late than never. My answer to the challenge is....GORILLA WITH A PEARL EARRING.

maryinasia
05-24-2018, 10:28 PM
Perfect

Attalus
05-24-2018, 10:44 PM
My computer fell on my head and it broke (.....the computer...NOT my head. I got a new comp and had a two day transfer of info from the old computer into the new one. So I'm late to the party....better late than never. My answer to the challenge is....GORILLA WITH A PEARL EARRING.Cute, Woody. Sorry you have been having such a rough time with it :)

tuscanny
05-24-2018, 11:39 PM
Lovely take with the gorilla!

WoodyWelch
05-25-2018, 12:57 AM
Cute, Woody. Sorry you have been having such a rough time with it :)

Thanks but you don't know the half of it. My eye surgery was postponed because I was bitten ( THREE TIMES) by a spider (brown recluse) because I was walking around the construction of our NEW swimming pool and evidently this plays havoc with the local fauna. My leg below the knee swelled up to half again its size and was beet red below the knee and above the ankle

For the last two weeks I have been taking all sorts of antibiotics and none of them I can pronounce. I'm on the mend now...the leg is just a little swollen, the bite areas are crusting over and have stopped draining, and the color has been reduced from red to shocking pink to a light pink lemonaid color. Very pretty :D

WoodyWelch
05-25-2018, 12:59 AM
Lovely take with the gorilla!

:lol: I think so....

Thanks Christel!!! :wave:

ColinS
05-25-2018, 01:17 AM
Fabulous Woody. :clap: clever play on the theme and well painted, as usual.

I was beginning to wonder if you had met with a mishap. Sounds like you are gradually recovering from the bites of the spider-woman. :D

Attalus
05-25-2018, 01:19 AM
Thanks but you don't know the half of it. My eye surgery was postponed because I was bitten ( THREE TIMES) by a spider (brown recluse) My cure for that is/was 3cc of Decadron IM. Works like a charm :wink2: Whenever Susie thinks she has been bitten by a spider, brown recluse or no, she comes demanding Decadron. And then blames me when she can't sleep. *Sigh* :)

ColinS
05-25-2018, 01:20 AM
I also remember loving the paintings in the game "Masterpiece". I enjoyed seeing some of the paintings from this game live and in person in various museums as an adult...and knowing why they looked familiar.

I know. It always feels like I am meeting an old friend from way back when. same thing when I run across one the paintings featured in our big family Bible.

bluefish
05-25-2018, 06:44 AM
Woody been waiting patiently for your painting.....but it was worth the wait....outstanding, as usual,,,,,although I personelly prefer some of your other Hollywood models....:evil: :lol: so sorry about your troubles....hope the new computer and legs mend well...:wave:

LavenderFrost
05-25-2018, 10:22 AM
Woody, I've been bracing myself for your upload but this was a total surprise. That's a good one!

Hope your leg gets better soon.

WoodyWelch
05-25-2018, 10:49 AM
Woody been waiting patiently for your painting.....but it was worth the wait....outstanding, as usual,,,,,although I personelly prefer some of your other Hollywood models....:evil: :lol: so sorry about your troubles....hope the new computer and legs mend well...:wave:

Thanks so much!!! :wave:

You could say I kinda went ape over this model/subject...:lol:

You COULD say that....I wouldn't.:clear:

WoodyWelch
05-25-2018, 10:52 AM
Woody, I've been bracing myself for your upload but this was a total surprise. That's a good one!

Hope your leg gets better soon.

Thanks, Michelle....it will, the leg, that is....it just takes time and medications. Since I can see improvements, and so can my internist, I'm not in a panic......ANYMORE, ..... :D

Charlie's Mum
05-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Quite frightening Woody - what's happened to you in such close timing!!:eek: - do hope all mends well very quickly.
Pleased to see your gorilla - he's great - and such a pearl!;)

Cindy - nice to see this result of the alleyway - lovely painting, understated, gentle, very nice!

Traysee - you did well! Her mouth is very well done and she is a lively interpretation, engaging with the viewer..See you next month too!:D

WoodyWelch
05-25-2018, 04:05 PM
Quite frightening Woody - what's happened to you in such close timing!! - do hope all mends well very quickly.
Pleased to see your gorilla - he's great - and such a pearl!

Cheers, Maureen. Good, bad, or indifferent, my life is never dull. :D

Margaretta
05-25-2018, 06:52 PM
Sorry, it's been a very hectic couple of weeks but I do finally have a painting to add. I'll tweak it tomorrow and post it later in the day.
Loving the entries so far; great compliments to Vermeer.:clap:
Woody and Old Hobbyist, sorry to read about your unusual maladies and hope you both get well very soon.:wave:

dave woody
05-25-2018, 07:36 PM
I am going to enter a picture this month.
Having never entered previously, what do I need to do?
Should I post my picture here, on this thread on the 31st May?

WoodyWelch
05-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Earlier Than That Dave, If Ya Can....the "Reveals" For These Things Start On The 21rst And Pretty Much End By The Final Day Of The Month!! :wave:

Attalus
05-25-2018, 08:01 PM
I am going to enter a picture this month.
Having never entered previously, what do I need to do?
Should I post my picture here, on this thread on the 31st May?Since the "blackout" passed on the 21st, you are free to post it here any time short of May 31st. Or after, I imagine :lol: . Looking forward to seeing your entry. :)

WoodyWelch
05-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Woody and Old Hobbyist, sorry to read about your unusual maladies and hope you both get well very soon

Yeah and I didn't even get Spidey powers or nuthin'!!! :(

dave woody
05-25-2018, 09:03 PM
Earlier Than That Dave, If Ya Can....the "Reveals" For These Things Start On The 21rst And Pretty Much End By The Final Day Of The Month!! :wave:

Oh, OK.
I just need some paint to dry, a tweak I'll make and I will post my contribution.