PDA

View Full Version : Support Preparation for Glazing

DMSS
04-30-2018, 09:22 AM
Hi. I want to try building up a painting in thin layers with glazes. My support is a canvas board. I have read that a smooth support works best for glazing. How may I go about preparing the canvas board? Should I apply multiple layers of gesso and sand in between? Should I apply a layer of soft gel gloss mixed with water? Thanks.

cliff.kachinske
04-30-2018, 09:57 AM
Golden recommends modeling paste. Seems reasonable to me - one application. The gesso approach will take a lot of layers with drying time in between.

DMSS
04-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Cliff. Will a graphite drawing transfer to the modelling paste surface, or should I draw on the support first and then apply the modelling paste and on top of the drawing?

Charlie's Mum
04-30-2018, 12:11 PM
I should think the modelling paste would obliterate the drawing!

Depending on the canvas texture I'd have thought gesso/sanding should work, bearing in mind that people often glaze without doing such prep - and it still works!
Are you doing an underpainting first? ... or is the aim for lots of translucency from the white base?

DMSS
04-30-2018, 01:14 PM
I should think the modelling paste would obliterate the drawing!

Depending on the canvas texture I'd have thought gesso/sanding should work, bearing in mind that people often glaze without doing such prep - and it still works!
Are you doing an underpainting first? ... or is the aim for lots of translucency from the white base?
The aim is for lots of translucency.

ddattler
04-30-2018, 09:42 PM
I use acrylic gesso to prepare my canvas or panels. I use a 3 inch foam roller to apply it. Use enough that there are no pinholes showing. 2 layers is usually enough. Sanding with 150 grit paper is fine so long as no raw canvas shows through.

I use acrylic medium to achieve transparency. Too many thin glazing layers can result in separation, theoretically, especially if you let them dry for too long between layers. I use watercolor pencils to do any sketching since they are compatible with the acrylics.

DMSS
05-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Golden recommends modeling paste. Seems reasonable to me - one application. The gesso approach will take a lot of layers with drying time in between.
I tried this and it worked very well. After the modeling paste dried, I sanded lightly. I ended up with a nice smooth surface. A great tip. Thank you.

Also, the graphite went on to the modeling paste surface with no problem.

DMSS
05-02-2018, 04:07 PM
I use acrylic gesso to prepare my canvas or panels. I use a 3 inch foam roller to apply it. Use enough that there are no pinholes showing. 2 layers is usually enough. Sanding with 150 grit paper is fine so long as no raw canvas shows through.

I use acrylic medium to achieve transparency. Too many thin glazing layers can result in separation, theoretically, especially if you let them dry for too long between layers. I use watercolor pencils to do any sketching since they are compatible with the acrylics.

I bought a foam roller and am going to try this, too. Can you explain what you mean by "Too many thin glazing layers can result in separation...?" I don't think I understand what you mean. Do you means that the layers will delaminate?

Dcam
05-02-2018, 06:18 PM
I don't use canvas.....not for many years. I just don't like the weave. It is so economical to use gessoed boards and they are great for glazing.

DMSS
05-03-2018, 08:23 AM
I have used gessoed boards and like them, but I have not tried them for glazing. I'll have to try that.

DMSS
05-07-2018, 03:39 PM
I tried this and it worked very well. After the modeling paste dried, I sanded lightly. I ended up with a nice smooth surface. A great tip. Thank you.

Also, the graphite went on to the modeling paste surface with no problem.
And, the first layer of glaze went onto the support beautifully.

ddattler
05-15-2018, 04:39 AM
I bought a foam roller and am going to try this, too. Can you explain what you mean by "Too many thin glazing layers can result in separation...?" I don't think I understand what you mean. Do you means that the layers will delaminate?

Yes De-lamination, particularly when using water to thin your paint, so, always use an acrylic medium for your glazes.