PDA

View Full Version : Snowy forest

jmchi
04-29-2018, 10:59 AM
Hey all - glad I found this forum. Here is my latest painting - 24x36 and worked from a base photo that a professional photographer acquaintance of mine took during a late winter snow in Brown County, Indiana - I strived to capture the feeling of waldeinsamkeit, German for forest solitude. I worked to achieve a contemplative and welcoming feeling that solitude can bring while looking up to the sky through the trees in the woods. Would love to get your thoughts, comments, critiques, thoughts on how to improve, etc... Thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2018/2053046-Waldeinsamkeit_WC.jpg

Larger view here (http://www.joshuamings.com/newsite/waldeinsamkeit/)

Charlie's Mum
04-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the forum Josh!
I like this sense of height and also the patterning of trunks and tree canopy.

~JMW~
04-29-2018, 02:09 PM
Maybe you could soften & vary the spacing & sizes of the snow "stripes" on the trees?
That one in the upper right corner could be softened the most, it seems to have the most contrast & grabs my eye to the corner..
That view angles of trees is a hard one to do..

gaykir
04-29-2018, 02:22 PM
Welcome! I love the perspective and the contemporary style. Nice work.

Artchrispy
04-29-2018, 04:48 PM
This is great. Love the perspective. I wouldn't change a thing about this. It may just be me but there is a subtle optical illusion going on. At one point I have the feeling I'm looking into a puddle at a reflection of the trees. It may be because it reminds me of an Escher print of a mud puddle with tree tops showing. https://www.amazon.com/Escher-Puddle-Print-Poster-25-5x21-5/dp/B000PHJ7ZM Or it may be because ive been trying to paint water all day and am brain dead :). The colors and mood are the same in your print as in the Escher

hmshood5
04-29-2018, 09:54 PM
About the only real critique that I'd have is that the white stripes on the trees should be curved more... they look a bit "off".
Other than that, this truly evokes the sense of silence in a winter forest!

jmchi
04-29-2018, 11:15 PM
Thanks everyone!
~JWM~ I think you hit the nail on the head on what was getting me a bit - the upper right needs to be a bit softer. I might go back and touch it up in a few days (working on another painting now).
- Charlie's Mum and gaykir, thanks!
- Artchrispy, I hadn't made the connection to that particular Escher print, but it is definitely there. Thanks for the compliments!
- hmshood5, I think you might be right on that one. The perspective was throwing me off a bit and I think I didn't get the circular aspect of the tree trunk quite right (it's about 95% there).

cliff.kachinske
04-30-2018, 10:23 AM
Like Artchrispy, I wouldn't change a thing.

I think the regular, angular snow marks give the lower tree trunks a mechanical look which gives way at the top to the graceful, organic shapes in the forest crown. In my opinion it perfectly meets the intent of the painting.

LavenderFrost
04-30-2018, 10:32 AM
Very good! I really feel like I'm looking up.

Katie Black
04-30-2018, 12:43 PM
Fantastic! I love the perspective and all that needs to be done now is to frame it and hang it.

francjs
04-30-2018, 01:49 PM
I like it but it doesn't give me a feeling of solitude, rather of energy. Maybe because of the overall warm tones, and of the orange glow.

It's a very nice painting, well done.

dave woody
04-30-2018, 06:47 PM
I like this a lot.
Excellent.

jmchi
04-30-2018, 10:06 PM
- francjs, for some of us, solitude is energy :) (like me)
Thanks for the compliments Katie, Francjs, Dave, Cliff, and Lavender. Cliff, I like your thoughts regarding angular vs organic. I wonder what this painting taken to the next level with that would look like. Maybe I'll do a little study this weekend.

wesleydownunder
05-01-2018, 06:14 AM
I like it, Josh. Reminds me of a primeval forest.

Mark

ColinS
05-01-2018, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the Forum. This is very striking. Well done!

jmchi
05-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Thanks Mark and Colin. You all sure do know how to make a hobbyist feel welcome.