PDA

View Full Version : Breaking wave

Artchrispy
04-29-2018, 07:50 AM
Hi. Trying to learn to paint breaking waves by adapting techniques from this video to acrylics. Crits welcome. My back splashing water looks especially fake.
Here's the instructional video I tried to follow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC6Zdq3YLMM I should have centered the wave more. Also my sky needs work. When i do my own for real i should be more loose. My goal is to be able to imagine invent and complete convincing landscapes in one sitting without alot of preliminary drawing like these people on youtube. I always assumed they had the pictures planned out but they seem to add and subtract and make things up as they go which seems exciting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2018/131690-20180428_133219-1-1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2018/131690-20180428_133249.jpg

Katie Black
04-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Seascapes always seem particularly tricky to me, and so its something I have never tried, but I would like to at some point.

After looking at the video I think you've done a great job on the rocky areas, and the green roll of the sea looks good. As you say, you stumbled on the spray of the sea, I guess that's going to take a lot of practice. He used the fan brush in a clever way to achieve that I think.

Charlie's Mum
04-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Chris - we did a paint-a-Long a while ago about painting waves - it's in the Information Kiosk if you'd like to peruse it!

Watching others paint, as in YouTube can be misleading I think - they may appear to do things spontaneously but they may also have a) done lots of preparation before filming and b) had years of drawing/painting the various elements they include ......... painting from the imagination means building your shape/form/technique vocabulary from which to 'draw' first!
One's 'imagination' is only as good as all the experience you've had so far!:lol:

So, I'd suggest really study waves and the water between - what ses look like in various conditions......... do lots of looking and painting, build the shapes/colours etc in your head, then paint from knowledge.
Foam is froth, light, fly-away .. so just maybe the paint, your application, the shape needs to reflect that? Maybe try a sponge to? .... flicking of paint?

cliff.kachinske
04-29-2018, 01:37 PM
I like the way the main wave curls. The eye also has a nice glow.

Foam is mostly air. Maybe a light touch would help.

About the comp, the eye of the wave is the best candidate for focal point. The color is almost a complement of its surroundings and there's a good contrast in tonal values. The horizontal location is right on the one-third mark from the right edge of the painting. Vertically it is also very close to the lower one-third mark, so by the rule of thirds it's in a good spot.

If you slide the wave to the left, you could move the rock into the lower right sweet spot and make the splash the focal point. Doing that would mean reducing the drama in the eye of the wave and cranking up the drama where the water collides with the rock.

Artchrispy
04-29-2018, 04:35 PM
Seascapes always seem particularly tricky to me, and so its something I have never tried, but I would like to at some point.

After looking at the video I think you've done a great job on the rocky areas, and the green roll of the sea looks good. As you say, you stumbled on the spray of the sea, I guess that's going to take a lot of practice. He used the fan brush in a clever way to achieve that I think.

Thanks Katie. For some reason lately i'm trying to go back and do some steps I skipped over the years. Water is so humbling. I ve been working on this exercise here all day. On this exercise I tried the fan brush (first time ever I think) and it worked great. I ended up using a sponge which works even better for me.

Chris - we did a paint-a-Long a while ago about painting waves - it's in the Information Kiosk if you'd like to peruse it!

Watching others paint, as in YouTube can be misleading I think - they may appear to do things spontaneously but they may also have a) done lots of preparation before filming and b) had years of drawing/painting the various elements they include ......... painting from the imagination means building your shape/form/technique vocabulary from which to 'draw' first!
One's 'imagination' is only as good as all the experience you've had so far!:lol:

So, I'd suggest really study waves and the water between - what ses look like in various conditions......... do lots of looking and painting, build the shapes/colours etc in your head, then paint from knowledge.
Foam is froth, light, fly-away .. so just maybe the paint, your application, the shape needs to reflect that? Maybe try a sponge to? .... flicking of paint? Thanks Maureen. I think you're right. I thought i learned a long time ago to never try copying a painting since I always fall short, and here i am at it again. And how do we know that Bob Ross and some of these other guys don't have reference photos in the wings. They make it look so easy but they have done hundreds of these. I though I d do this more as a paint along exercise just to learn the process.
For today's exercise (below) I just painted from an internet photo. It's not great but I did end up using a sponge as you suggested for the foam, works great!

I like the way the main wave curls. The eye also has a nice glow.

Foam is mostly air. Maybe a light touch would help.

About the comp, the eye of the wave is the best candidate for focal point. The color is almost a complement of its surroundings and there's a good contrast in tonal values. The horizontal location is right on the one-third mark from the right edge of the painting. Vertically it is also very close to the lower one-third mark, so by the rule of thirds it's in a good spot.

If you slide the wave to the left, you could move the rock into the lower right sweet spot and make the splash the focal point. Doing that would mean reducing the drama in the eye of the wave and cranking up the drama where the water collides with the rock.

Thanks Cliff, You are totally right about the comp. Its too late for me to move it but Ill think ahead next time. I should be sketching these subjects to learn the structures instead of trying to paint them cold.

Here's todays effort at a wave loosely based on an internet photo of a beach on the Indian Ocean. It's sort of boring but I got to practice froth.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2018/131690-20180429_161454-1-1_resized.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-30-2018, 07:21 AM
Much better! :thumbsup: :)

cliff.kachinske
04-30-2018, 09:26 AM
Much better! :thumbsup: :)

Agreed.

What works for me is to mark the one-third points on the margins of the surface during the initial lay in. If you have an extra margin you can put the marks there. Otherwise little bits of painters tape can go on the edges of the panel or stretched canvas.

~JMW~
04-30-2018, 12:50 PM
You might like to look at some of these seascape videos- most are not english, but watching you can see how he does it.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=igor+sakharov+seascape
He uses oils, but I have done similar with acrylics..

Watch for repetitive spacing ,shape & size of waves, share sky colors & some of the greens into the blue water..

Katie Black
04-30-2018, 12:52 PM
Yes, I like this one much better, you have definitely created some nice waves there.

dave woody
04-30-2018, 06:20 PM
Wow, I really envy your ability.
Energetic and realistic images, wonderful.

Artchrispy
05-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Thanks Maureen, Cliff, Jmw, Katie, and Dave!

You might like to look at some of these seascape videos- most are not english, but watching you can see how he does it.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=igor+sakharov+seascape
He uses oils, but I have done similar with acrylics..

Watch for repetitive spacing ,shape & size of waves, share sky colors & some of the greens into the blue water..

I can't thank you enough for this link. Igor paints an entire scene with a palette knife! I followed along with him a few times. I used yupo . I m still not happy with the wave, especially where it breaks, but the water is starting to look more translucent. I do like the rocks in the foreground. A few more and maybe this will click .
Here's the current state:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2018/131690-20180501_063653-1_resized.jpg

I may try it with oil

~JMW~
05-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Nice!! those colors , movement & rocks.

Katie Black
05-01-2018, 02:25 PM
This is a big improvement.

It is fascinating to watch your progress...I hope you post more as you continue on with these.

Artchrispy
05-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Thanks JMW and Katie :) Ill keep posting Katie, just tell me if i'm getting annoying. :) Im only doing these till I get it down.
I fixed the one that was on yupo and did another quick one on canvas with Golden Opens and a palette knife. Until I saw that video (thanks again JMW) id never think to try a seascape with a palette knife. It does look better IRL. I couldnt get a good picture of it. The Golden Open one is 12x16. Did I read somewhere that glycerin can be added to acrylics to make them behave like Golden Opens? They work well with this palette knife technique.
11x14 acrylic inks and acrylics on yupo palette knife and brushs
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2018/131690-20180501_170039-1-1_resized.jpg

12x16 Golden Opens on Canvas 90% palette knife
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2018/131690-20180501_175717-1_resized.jpg

Dcam
05-01-2018, 08:28 PM
Good stuff Art; lots of energy with great brush moves and color.

Chrisha12
05-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Amazing colours!

Artchrispy
05-02-2018, 02:34 PM
Thanks Derek and Chrisha
Here's another attempt.
This was Golden Opens and regular acrylics on canvas. 12x16. I'm getting more confident with water which should help going forward. This was both palette knife and brushes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2018/131690-20180502_063502-1_resized.jpg

Dcam
05-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Art: you have a great series going here. Love the brevity and confident brush stroke. NICE!

I'm not sure about the brown mountain on the horizon? :angel: