PDA

View Full Version : Earth Day Painting

Artchrispy
04-23-2018, 07:05 AM
Wondering if I should add a pond in the foreground with reflections of the trees?
. It's 12x16 Acrylic Inks. The tree bark and yellow and white hightlights are tube acrylics. Crits welcome. Thanks for lookinghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2018/131690-20180422_172157-1-1-1.jpg

gaykir
04-23-2018, 09:45 AM
I like the idea of reflections.

Charlie's Mum
04-23-2018, 10:27 AM
I especially like the right hand third of this work Christopher - all the nicest textures are there!:lol: .... The tree trunks are good and that water pattern bottom right is gorgeous!
This is just a thought, because photography can alter colour .......... but, which green did you use in the inks? - (the upper foliage rather than the flowering bush). One of the beauties of the inks is being able to layer colours and achieve subtlety in the interaction of colours - in this case, to vary the colours of that very green foliage.:)

Katie Black
04-23-2018, 12:24 PM
This is looking great, and I think a pond would work well. You are good with ponds, I'm learning, do you have a good link at all for ponds?

Artchrispy
04-23-2018, 04:51 PM
Thanks Gayle, Maureen, and Katie! :)

Thanks Maureen :)-
For the upper green I believe I started by palette mixing liqutex phthalocyanne blue (green shade) with the liqutex yellow medium azo. I have a set of primaries. At one point i applied colors separately with a sponge then used another sponge to lift off and blend at the same time. Some black also got sponged in. I tried palette mixing a darker green with yellow and black but ended up with a larger pool of black :) I think I probably removed with the sponge as much paint as I applied. The shrub yellows and spring greens were tubes of cerulean with azo yellow.

Thanks Katie :) There are a lot of Bob Ross videos on youtube. I m not crazy about his finished paintings (he did them so fast and they seem formulaic and a little 80's kitsch imho-not that this painting I'm working on wont end up as kitsch ) but his techniques are really useful. I love his freedom too, he just put what he wants where he wants it and adapts as he goes. Here's one with a lot of landscape features including a lake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FYfo94qefg

ColinS
04-26-2018, 01:28 AM
I agree with the idea for reflections. I think it would help break up the dominant green in a nice way.

Artchrispy
05-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Thanks Colin! I added some reflections and some minor changes. Sorry for the blurry photo. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2018/131690-20180506_165939-1_resized.jpg

Katie Black
05-06-2018, 06:38 PM
I love the reflections. The only thing that looks slightly a bit 'off' IMHO and I'm not entirely sure why is the band of flowers, whether that's because the painting just doesnt need them, I'm not sure, maybe others will think differently.

LavenderFrost
05-07-2018, 11:28 AM
I like where you're going with this but I think the trunk reflections look off.