PDA

View Full Version : Can I use matte mediums like glossy ones?

teatimetomorrow
04-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Hi there,

I've run into a "problem" which is really more of an annoyance I was hoping I could easily correct. I've taken a liking to glazing and extending the drying time of my paints, which means I'm using a lot of gloss medium (gloss glazing liquid)... this means parts of my painting turn really shiny. This isn't a problem because I varnish at the end and unify it all BUT it's a huge problem when I want to scan/photograph before the varnish, as it's nearly impossible to correct post-process.

Can I achieve the same effects or similar with any of the matte mediums? glazing, extended drying? I know Golden has Matte Open Medium. I find that if I use too much of the (glossy) one, paint layers like to lift, so I don't use it too much anyway, but I suppose that is an option if that is all there is.

old_hobbyist
04-20-2018, 11:10 PM
Not sure I grasp all of your issues. If you want to foto before you varnish (BTW you are NOT required to varnish acrylics) use matte media to get flatness across the entire canvas. Some people use a mixture of gloss and matte media. If you really desire a highly glossy finish, use a gloss varnish. Actually some gloss media AFTER the ptg is finished produce a suitable gloss appearance.

I am a little confused by one of your comments
extending the drying time of my paints
I do not use media to extend drying time. I use it to reduce the intensity of the pigment. Media work better than water in that the media are essentially the same base composition as the pigment. As a result I rarely get severe pigment separation.

teatimetomorrow
04-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Not sure I grasp all of your issues. If you want to foto before you varnish (BTW you are NOT required to varnish acrylics) use matte media to get flatness across the entire canvas. Some people use a mixture of gloss and matte media. If you really desire a highly glossy finish, use a gloss varnish. Actually some gloss media AFTER the ptg is finished produce a suitable gloss appearance.

I am a little confused by one of your comments

I do not use media to extend drying time. I use it to reduce the intensity of the pigment. Media work better than water in that the media are essentially the same base composition as the pigment. As a result I rarely get severe pigment separation.

I know you don't need to varnish, but I've started doing it due to the uneven finishes, where I've glazed will be shinier then other areas, for example. So it's nice to unify everything. I tend to enjoy the glossy surface more then matte, too, when it's all finished.

So... basically, I have finished a painting. There are several places where I've glazed it, or extended drying times with the glazing liquid like a sky for example, and they're really shiny. But other areas are matte, where I didn't do this. Now I want to photograph/scan before I apply the final varnish, to unify all the surface sheen.

The problem is, photographing or scanning a glossy surface is REALLY hard and no matter how I've set my camera and lights, it's still there distorting something on the areas that are glossy - the matte areas are fine (especially while scanning).

I use Golden Glazing Liquid, and Golden Open Medium. Both of these thin the paint but also extend the drying time by just enough for me to work with it how I want. I can put an extremely thin and transparent layer of paint + medium and then buff it out with a fluffy brush for a gradient, whereas if I try this with just water, the paint is almost drying before it hits the canvas (seconds vs. a minute or so). So that's how I like to use it. With the Open medium, this time is extended even farther (several minutes) which is great and you can achieve some fantastic stuff, but as I mentioned it seems to cause paint layers to lift if you're doing a lot of layering, not so great.

So I'm wondering if matte medium, can do the same things as the glazing liquid - extend drying and achieve glazing.

Maybe I could apply a matte coating over everything in the end, then scan, THEN apply a high gloss varnish? Can a high gloss varnish counteract a matte coating?

LavenderFrost
04-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Some say that you should varnish acrylics. Acrylic is porous and can use some protection.

I believe that's what old hobbyist said, to put on a coat of matte medium for photographing. Even without the use of mediums a painting will often end up with an uneven sheen. Glazing liquid is made to extend drying time but not sure if matte medium would do that.

cliff.kachinske
04-21-2018, 01:32 PM
You have to wait for the paint layer to be completely dry or the Golden Open will lift it.

The hair dryer is your friend.

janinco
04-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Matt Philleo has a YouTube channel and website primarily about acrylics and he does all his glazing with matte medium. But usually the recommendation is gloss for underlying layers and matte or satin for final because of the opacity of matte medium and varnish. This is a good video clip from a workshop on gloss vs matte:
https://youtu.be/CUFDlpYGcNI

Jan