PDA

View Full Version : Landscape from the rim of a small town in Germany

Shimiharu
04-19-2018, 10:28 AM
With the street cut out.

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion. It's actually the first piece I want to sell, because...to be honest, I hated working on it. A lot. And as it was merely for school and a little too big to keep for me (40 cm x 100 cm) I decided it was good to go ahead and sell it to get some money with which I could buy some paint for the rest of my class, as a lot of them haven't been able to experience the feeling of acrylics of a grade above children's.

But I don't know if it's really at that stage, because I don't want to sell anyone anything that's ... too unfinished either.

Also...as this is the first one, I actually have no idea how much to ask for. Any advice?

Yorky
04-19-2018, 11:48 AM
It looks rather dark.

Doug

theBongolian
04-19-2018, 11:54 AM
You want to SELL this painting because you don't like it.
But for someone to BUY it, they have to like it.

If you don't see what's to like about it, why do you think someone else will?

dave woody
04-19-2018, 01:55 PM
...I.....like this!

I bet your mom would buy it! Or a brother, sister, uncle, aunt or neighbour maybe.

Shimiharu
04-19-2018, 03:03 PM
You're right about that...I suppose I'll just recycle the canvas once the assignment is done, then. Thanks - I think I needed that external input!

Aaaand...hum...I think it's actually a little more colourful and complex in real life, but as always, that dies with bad lighting and bad resolution.

Also...thanks that there's anyone who does like it. My family isn't so much into my art except for my sister...and everyone else just requests me to make fanart.

To be honest, I'm at this point where I can't see it anymore. I knew I spent 30 h repainting the sky over 10 times because it was either too flat or had too much contrast. All I wanted it was to glow.

Now I just want it to have a good purpose.

I'd still be happy to hear any suggestions on things that I could still change at this point.

Uuurgh...I'm thinking about selling it for around 50 bucks to be honest. Not much pricier than a photo canvas.

Katie Black
04-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Here's what I think...initially I couldn't understand what the two round brown shapes were and then I realised it's your feet :lol:

Anyway, I love the sky, but I can't really see much of the rest because you have posted such a small image but it does perhaps look a little dark. :)

Shimiharu
04-19-2018, 03:55 PM
Hopefully, my teacher will be done grading it soon and hopefully, the weather will be good by then. I have resolved that I want to make better quality images to upload and link them here instead of posting them as such tiny images.

Also, yeah, that's a difficult size of canvas to take a photograph of and I probably should have cropped that...just forgot about it^^' sorry.

But thank you. I'm glad to hear that, really, because to me, it feels like this painting is screaming that it's unloved. I want it to be with someone who might treasure it a little more than me, even if it's just a tiny bit and that can't be so difficult seeing how little I want to keep it...

To clear the last paragraph up: it was more about what I have not heard, as it doesn't seem as though you saw this missing love for it. I kind of feel sorry for this piece.

LavenderFrost
04-20-2018, 09:37 AM
Well, you never know what people will like. Though I can tell you everyone "loves" my work but no one wants to buy it.

A common way to price paintings is by size, usually starting at $1 per square inch.

Artchrispy
04-22-2018, 09:31 AM
I can't see any detail but I do like what I can see. It's moody. It looks like that foreground tree trunk might be leading the eye out of the composition. The clouds are dramatic and interesting.

cem
04-22-2018, 12:58 PM
I like the sky you worked so hard on. Easy to paint and repaint trying to get the desired effect. Keep at it.