PDA

View Full Version : Atelier Chroma Acrylics

indaloman
04-16-2018, 09:18 AM
I prefer to use Atelier paints but have a problem. I live in Spain and there are no suppliers here. I can get the paints from the UK but no one will send the Unlocking Formula. An artist in Australia suggested I use isolpolypol and water. I have obtained the iso but any suggestions as to ration to water? I don't wish to guess on my latest painting as I do not know what the results would be. Any suggestions or even better does anybody mix their own brew?

Thanks for any help

contumacious
04-16-2018, 09:32 AM
I prefer to use Atelier paints but have a problem. I live in Spain and there are no suppliers here. I can get the paints from the UK but no one will send the Unlocking Formula. An artist in Australia suggested I use isolpolypol and water. I have obtained the iso but any suggestions as to ration to water? I don't wish to guess on my latest painting as I do not know what the results would be. Any suggestions or even better does anybody mix their own brew?

Thanks for any help
My guess is that the unlocking formula is nothing more than isopropyl alcohol. For me it behaves the same as 70% isopropyl alcohol. You really don't need to add any water since 70% alcohol already has 30% water in it. If you have the 90% version you might want to add some water to keep the paint wet longer since the pure alcohol will evaporate very fast. Test it with no water added then with varied amounts to see what ratio you prefer. You can also experiment with various acrylic mediums used in combination with the unlocking formula.

indaloman
04-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Thanks for coming back to me. I bought a litre of 99.9% for just 12 delivered. So you have given me a starting point. I'll try 30% water. Thanks for your help

indaloman
04-18-2018, 02:23 PM
30% water works fine

talisman
04-18-2018, 02:26 PM
Try it out on something not important, experiment on that not your painting.

indaloman
04-19-2018, 02:29 PM
will do