PDA

View Full Version : Can I sand an oil painting canvas and use for acrylic painting?

JenniferG
04-14-2018, 03:49 PM
I bought a couple decent sized canvas from flea market today for $1. I don't care for the art on them and bought them to paint over.

These ones are oil paintings. I was wondering if I could sand them well and then paint over them with acrylic paint? Should I apply a layer or two of gesso first over the sanded oil painting? Then sand the Gesso?

Sorry I am completely new to painting (and this forum as of yesterday). I'm excited to learn how to paint.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Attalus
04-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Welcome to the Forum. As I understand it, you cannot paint over oils with acrylic paints. If you want to paint one first and then the other, it is okay to paint oils over acrylics, but never paint acrylics over oils. So for example, you could gesso your canvas and then apply a few layers of acrylic paint. Once the acrylic paint is dry, you can safely paint over it using oil paints. -Google

But if you really sand it down to bare canvas, I would think that you could reuse it with acrylics, as long as there is no remaining oil paint. Note: Big IF

. :wink2:

Charlie's Mum
04-14-2018, 04:54 PM
Welcome to the forum, and to painting.:)

Wouldn't advise doing that .... keep them for when trying oils!

With acrylics, you can use just about anything for a base .... some even use cereal boxes!
So, as long as a surface is grease-free, use whatever you have available!

JenniferG
04-14-2018, 05:23 PM
Thanks. I'll save the oil painting canvases for when I get into oil painting later on.

I have a couple dozen 12x12 inch sheets of medium weight chipboard here. I cut them down to 4.5 x 6 inches. I hope this isn't too small for me to learn on. I figure I should be frugal with supplies until I start to learn more.

I gesso'd some of the chip board and painted white. Others I didn't gesso, is this a bad idea? Gesso'ing the chipboard is a lot of work.. like 3 coats then have to sand :P

Btw, can I just buy a gallon of cheap $10 flat white house paint to base these chipboards for learning acrylic painting? I think I can get a quart of craft paint for $3.50 or so with half off coupon from michael's, hobby lobby or joanne's.

Attalus
04-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Thanks. I'll save the oil painting canvases for when I get into oil painting later on.

I have a couple dozen 12x12 inch sheets of medium weight chipboard here. I cut them down to 4.5 x 6 inches. I hope this isn't too small for me to learn on. I figure I should be frugal with supplies until I start to learn more.

I gesso'd some of the chip board and painted white. Others I didn't gesso, is this a bad idea? Gesso'ing the chipboard is a lot of work.. like 3 coats then have to sand :P

Btw, can I just buy a gallon of cheap $10 flat white house paint to base these chipboards for learning acrylic painting? I think I can get a quart of craft paint for $3.50 or so with half off coupon from michael's, hobby lobby or joanne's.For practice, sure. For canvas, gesso prepares (or "primes") the surface for painting, making the surface slightly textured and ready to accept acrylic paint. Without gesso, the paint would soak into the weave of the canvas. But with chipboard, or art panel, or masonite, etc., you don't have that worry.

Tanya B
04-14-2018, 10:04 PM
I bought a couple decent sized canvas from flea market today for $1.

$1 is a great price for just the set of 4 wooden stretcher bars themselves.

Ellis Ammons
04-14-2018, 11:01 PM
a few things..

First - pigments used in oil paint are toxic. DO NOT SAND THEM. Breathing in the dust is bad mkay. It's made of cadmiums - the stuff used in batteries and lead paint. Just to name a few.

Second - the best thing to paint cheaply on and that is probably archival is to go to lowes or home depot and get them to cut some hardboard for you. A whole sheet about 8x4 feet is like 10 bucks. Then go to the paint isle and pick up some zeinser shellack or bullseye 123 and prime your boards with that. You can put gesso over it if you like more tooth. Prime both sides. I use a foam roller as it doesnt leave brush marks. Then i let it dry for a day and scrape of the little ridges with a paint knife which leaves a smooth surface with a little bit of tooth. If you bought the same thing from an art supply it would cost you about 250 bucks. Which if you diy its about $20 bucks for a 4x8 foot canvas. If you go very big you will want to build a cradle.

old_hobbyist
04-15-2018, 12:19 AM
I have painted acrylic over oils several times. I use a technique house painters use. It's a shellac-based primer called Zinsser BIN Primer. A painting I did a decade ago shows absolutely no lamination of the acrylic off the primer.

LavenderFrost
04-15-2018, 09:17 AM
When it comes to size, whatever you are comfortable with. Everyone is different.

cliff.kachinske
04-15-2018, 09:51 AM
Itís a bad idea to sand any painting unless you know which pigments it contains. Cadmium can be found in acrylic paint as well as oils. There wonít be any cadmium in craft paint because itís an expensive pigment.