PDA

View Full Version : Help to keep pastels inside a taboret

Moises Menendez
04-14-2018, 12:11 PM
Hi,
I finally organized my pastels using the Heillman boxes and I am very satisfied but I would like to keep them always open and placed inside a drawer like in a taboret. The largest Heillman box is 30 inches wide and the small one is 22 inches when fully opened. The idea is when I am ready to paint I just pull the drawer and find the pastels ready for painting. Right now I keep the boxes on a small table and I am afraid to bump it and drop the boxes and it will be a real mess!
Does any one any idea where to get a furniture like that? Other suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2018/1071012-PASTELS.jpg

Donna T
04-15-2018, 08:59 AM
Hi Moises - I would definitely have knocked those pastels over by now! Since your collection is already in those nice Heilman boxes is there any way to rearrange your room so that they could lay side by side on some sort of table? I don't know of any kind of taboret that would be large enough to accommodate the larger of the boxes. Wouldn't it be kind of a pain to have to open and close drawers all the time while you paint? Seems like you'd just end up dragging the boxes out and laying them on top. Maybe a long, narrow table (something like a sofa table) would work? I keep most of my pastels in a medium Heilman on a table with smaller boxes arranged wherever I can fit them. They are covered with a towel when not in use. I'm looking at an old china cabinet now and wondering if something like that would work if you took the doors off? I guess it would have to be deep enough for the largest of your boxes. There was this good idea a while ago about using inexpensive jewelry trays (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441171&highlight=jewelry+trays). They would fit just about anywhere. Keep us posted on what you come up with!

Moises Menendez
04-15-2018, 08:10 PM
Thank Donna, you are right. I may rearrange all the furniture and come up with a desk just like you suggested.

stapeliad
04-16-2018, 09:36 AM
When I use my boxes I just lay them out on my drawing table which is next to my easel. They are ok left out, as long as they aren't too close to the edge where a cat can knock them over... :eek:

I just re-pack the boxes and close them when not in use. They are very compact to store and I like that.

A drawer would work great though, as long as it is sturdy enough to hold the weight of the boxes when pulled out.

Very nice organization btw. :)

contumacious
04-16-2018, 12:13 PM
If you already have a fairly large desk or worktable, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a shallow drawer big enough to hold at least your largest box in the open position. If you have the tools, it could be a DIY project or you could hire a cabinet maker to build it.

Moises Menendez
04-16-2018, 07:05 PM
Thank you very much to all for the advise. I think I will re-arrange the furniture.
You guys gave me good ideas. I found out a wooden large taboret is not cheap!

Equus Art
04-17-2018, 08:43 PM
I have one of those drafting tables that you can tilt a lot or a little. I have a large Dakota box, a Dakota Traveler, a set of those pull out stack able drawers and a few TL boxes set out on it, along with a stack able pencil holder rack. I have the table tilted slightly and clamped a long piece of metal flashing across the front lip to keep everything from sliding forward. I also have a studio lamp clamped to one side so I can light up the table when I work in the evenings. You wouldn't believe what I can get crammed into a small A frame upstairs bedroom converted into a "pseudio", which is what I call it!

I also have an H frame easel in there and a long side board cabinet that I have my photo reference computer/monitor on and another stack able pencil holder on the other side. Long and narrow, but it works for me. One of these days, I will have some place that is an actual real room to set up in. Oh, yeah, and there is also an antique settle bench table towards the front of the room that has my mat cutter on it with pastel papers underneath lying flat on the seat below.

Cat

Moises Menendez
04-18-2018, 09:47 AM
Cat, thank you. I think I found the solution with all of you guy's input. I have a table and a metal taboret which we bought several years ago and i will arrange them in order to use the boxes containing the pastels. Thank you again.

stapeliad
04-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Pseudio...... that's brilliant!!!
I have a pseudio too.

Equus Art
04-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Pseudio...... that's brilliant!!!
I have a pseudio too.

Great things happen in the least expected places! Nice to know someone shares my Pseudio dilemma!

Cat

stapeliad
04-18-2018, 01:47 PM
I very much share it............. :)

Moises Menendez
04-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Thank you guys for I found the solution!