PDA

View Full Version : Our Lady of Charity (C&C requested)

tmwilliams
04-08-2018, 12:48 PM
I've had this on my easel for a few weeks. (I showed it in the thread WOYE a few times, too.) I'm now at a point where I could use some advice.

Nephew's upcoming wedding...he and his family are devout Catholics. Me - perhaps promising more than my skill could deliver said, "hey, I'll paint you the Cuban patron saint!" (They're Cuban.)

This is 14x18 canvas. The baby's head is about the size of a dime. I've painted and repainted his face six or seven times. I can't get it to look right...it'll either look flat, or ghoulish...

Thoughts on the baby, or any other part?

The overall image is based on a painting by Iris Leyva Acosta. I loved her use of color and energy (as opposed to usual very boring renditions).

Regardless of the baby's face - still lots more work to be done...particularly adding detail (and lace) to her gown.

Thomas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2018/2022851-Our_Lady_of_Charity.JPG

Charlie's Mum
04-08-2018, 03:02 PM
The baby's face is so small you'll see very little detail but, one thing you can do is scan the image you want into the comp, make it the size of the one in your painting, and trace it in .... might help.
Go for tonal areas rather than linear detail.

tmwilliams
04-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Probably too small to trace - but a scanned image in B&W might give be good tonal values. Great idea!

Margaretta
04-09-2018, 05:02 AM
I think a decision on the focus is important. This brilliance of light and style reminds me of a Chagall window. He outlined the foci in very fine brown or black. I would suggest the faces rather than the lace should grab the viewer. The boatmen and the sea are really expressive.

tmwilliams
04-09-2018, 07:26 AM
Margaretta,

I did intend to focus on her face - and this is a good reminder not to stray from that idea as I continue.

Thanks!

Thomas

talisman
04-09-2018, 10:56 AM
You have wonderful suggestions from the others.
I would make sure that the Saint looks lovely, if the people don't look so wonderful that's OK, after all they are only human.
I really do like the ferns, the water motion and the rays of light!

tmwilliams
04-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Thank you Dianna,

I certainly hope that I have the skill to make her lovely! I fear that I've already over-painted her face and yet it's still not right.