PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel challenge and chat for April 2018

raizes
04-01-2018, 08:04 PM
April is here! I'll host this months challenge. About half of these photos are from my vacation to Kauai Hawaii in Nov. 2016. The others are from RIL here on Wetcanvas. I think I got a good mix here for you all.

When posting your work, if you can remember to include size, paper and op brand that was used, that is most helpful. Have fun and can't wait to see what you all create! :clap: :clap:

raizes
04-01-2018, 08:06 PM
more pics

raizes
04-01-2018, 08:08 PM
some more...

tuscanny
04-02-2018, 01:16 AM
Thanks for a great selection of references to choose from and thanks for hosting, Rich!

raizes
04-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Here's the first one. 12x16 inches senns/mungyos on clairefontaine pastelmat. I took the ref pic, and I believe its a beach in the town of Kapaa on the east side of the island.

tuscanny
04-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Beautiful! Love the colors in the sea.

raizes
04-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Thanks Christel! I used ice blue, prussian blue, medium grey, light grey, titanium white and a turquoise for the water

raizes
04-07-2018, 12:13 PM
Here's my next one. 12x16 inches senns/mungyos on claire fontaine pastelmat.

tuscanny
04-08-2018, 01:27 AM
Wow! Love it!

terriks
04-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Hi Rich - first, thanks for posting so many lovely images this month! :thumbsup:

I really love your swing. I like your decision to remove the part of the beach behind the swing, and letting it stand out against the ocean. It's little things like this that help me along. That's an interesting thin yellow line along the horizon between sea and sky - excellent separation.

I'm really loving your palette in the second one - it has taken on quite a surreal effect, with the shape of the center tree and those great leading lines guiding the eye to it.

raizes
04-08-2018, 06:14 PM
Thanks Christel!

Terri - Thank you! I wanted to improve upon the photo with the swing pic. What I thought I was capturing when I took the pic was different than how the photo came out. So I figured a bit of composition change and perspective, plus add in color would make a more interesting scene.

tuscanny
04-09-2018, 12:22 PM
The ducks: A3. The reeds were challenging.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2018/1256189-a3_rich_ops_aprils.jpg

terriks
04-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Thanks Christel!

Terri - Thank you! I wanted to improve upon the photo with the swing pic. What I thought I was capturing when I took the pic was different than how the photo came out. So I figured a bit of composition change and perspective, plus add in color would make a more interesting scene.
I think you did end up with a more visually interesting painting than the photo offered. It was precisely this photo/painting combo that made me realize I coulda/shoulda left out the rock near the figure in my own recent painting. It's great help to see how others interpret their ref images (I know, I'm a broken record!) But, we've all commented on the real lack of tutorials and info regarding OP's out there, so things I learn here are a real gold mine of info.

terriks
04-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Christel, you did a fantastic job with the reeds! They are very sharp, and your coloring is perfect. The shadows in the water are excellent, too.

On my laptop, the water looks a little dark in the upper part of the painting, but that's likely on my end. Overall, this is a beautiful rendition of the cute little guys. :)

tuscanny
04-09-2018, 11:39 PM
Thanks Terri.

raizes
04-10-2018, 01:13 PM
Great job Christel. I really like how you managed the reeds and brought these two closer to us.

tuscanny
04-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Thanks Rich. I'm planning another painting, using some artistic licence in it.

SnapV
04-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Rich - Both your paintings are gorgeous, the way you did the leaves and the waves are great. I hope I'll be able to get that good one day :P

Christel - I love your ducks! And I really like the way you did the reflection in the water.

Here is mine, done in Mungyo and Sennelier with a bit of Caran d'Ache (wish it was more but boy are they expensive!) on a grey Richeson's Premium Pastel Surface which I got for almost nothing because it (and a few others I got) had a few dents and scratches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2018/1986145-OP_Challenge_April_2018.jpg

raizes
04-10-2018, 05:44 PM
Beautiful and expressive Virginie! Nice glow and warmth. Your colors are vibrant and bold. Very nice

tuscanny
04-10-2018, 11:24 PM
Lovely, Virginie!

SarahY
04-11-2018, 04:17 AM
Those are some lovely, luscious sweeps of colour, SnapV; so thick, juicy and expressive, and so clean.

Really lovely work from everyone in this thread!

SnapV
04-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Thank you Rich, Christel and Sarah! I'm really enjoying oil pastel more and more, especially for landscapes.

raizes
04-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Thats good to hear Virginie. Great feeling to reach a turning point like that

tuscanny
04-12-2018, 04:10 AM
A3. The water actually has a slightly more green look at places.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2018/1256189-a4_ops_april_richs.jpg

raizes
04-12-2018, 03:02 PM
Beautiful Christel! Feels warm and peaceful... Brings me back to when I took that pic. Some of those footprints are mine.

tuscanny
04-12-2018, 11:24 PM
Thanks Rich!

raizes
04-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Here's the lighthouse. I spent an hour or so at this site. Views were amazing and watching 30ft waves slam up against the cliff side was awesome. 12x16 inches, senns/mungyo on clairefontaine pastel mat.

tuscanny
04-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Beautiful! Love those clouds and everything about the sea.

rbhatt
04-13-2018, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE=tuscanny]The ducks: A3. The reeds were challenging.
Christel,
This is a lovely painting. I liked everything about it, the reeds, ducks and shadows on water.

Raj

rbhatt
04-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Rich,
I like all three landscape paintings you have posted here. You don't know how much I enjoyed watching you painting these live on Instagram.

Raj

tuscanny
04-14-2018, 12:33 PM
Thanks Raj!

terriks
04-14-2018, 02:48 PM
Beautiful work, Virginie! Your strokes have a wonderful, loose quality to them that makes this painting very appealing. Love your colors!

terriks
04-14-2018, 02:50 PM
A3. The water actually has a slightly more green look at places.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2018/1256189-a4_ops_april_richs.jpg

Great job with the footprints in the sand, Christel. Your sky is delicious!

terriks
04-14-2018, 02:51 PM
Here's the lighthouse. I spent an hour or so at this site. Views were amazing and watching 30ft waves slam up against the cliff side was awesome. 12x16 inches, senns/mungyo on clairefontaine pastel mat.

Thank you for the back story on this beautiful view, Rich! I had a feeling you'd be tackling this one. :thumbsup:

The sea and sky combo here are beautiful!

rbhatt
04-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Here's my take on the beach picture. I find drawing tall grasses easier but had hard time painting the mowed lawn in the foreground. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2018/2012918-Hawaii2.jpg

I got rid of some details and a tree that are in the original picture.

Raj

rbhatt
04-14-2018, 08:30 PM
Forgot to provide the painting details.
Size: 10x13 inches
Paper: Canson Watercolor Paper 140 lbs
Medium: Cray-Pas Expressionist OPs and black colored Prismacolor pencil
Underpainting using watercolor

-Raj

raizes
04-14-2018, 09:28 PM
Rich,
I like all three landscape paintings you have posted here. You don't know how much I enjoyed watching you painting these live on Instagram.

Raj

Thank you Raj! So happy you watch! It's fun...I'm getting more used to being live, sometimes I forget I'm recording. Hopefully it's helpful to you and not too boring.

raizes
04-14-2018, 09:30 PM
Thank you for the back story on this beautiful view, Rich! I had a feeling you'd be tackling this one. :thumbsup:

The sea and sky combo here are beautiful!

Thank you Terri! Beautiful place

raizes
04-14-2018, 09:45 PM
Here's my take on the beach picture. I find drawing tall grasses easier but had hard time painting the mowed lawn in the foreground. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2018/2012918-Hawaii2.jpg

I got rid of some details and a tree that are in the original picture.

Raj

This is well done Raj. Very nice glow and light. Shading is perfect. I have no problem with the mowed grass...Looks fine to me. Your sky is absolutely beautiful. Also admire the lighting, colors in the trees.

I would consider cooling down the near mountain on the right side. Its' warm value is too close to the foreground. Perhaps bring in some blues/greys, and push it back.

Beautiful painting. Has a nice warmth and calm

rbhatt
04-14-2018, 11:16 PM
Rich,
It was very helpful watching you painting and I enjoyed it a lot. Thank you for your feedback. I agree the near mountains were too warm looking. I added some blue to push them back and it worked very well. Besides I also darkened the shaded area of the middle shrub, added shadows of the two trees (in the right side middleground) near their trunks, added some textures to the glowing pallet of the pathway, and more textures to the water area near the viewer.
Here is my new version.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2018/2012918-Hawai3.jpg
Now I am waiting to see your version, I have seen you working on it today.

Raj

tuscanny
04-15-2018, 12:51 AM
Thanks Terri!
Raj - wow! Love it!

tuscanny
04-17-2018, 01:10 PM
A4. A bit later in the day:angel:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2018/1256189-a_s.jpg

raizes
04-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Beautiful Christel! Brings back memories> love the warmth in the clouds and silhouette of the people. It certainly was an epic sunset that evening.

terriks
04-17-2018, 06:21 PM
Rich,
It was very helpful watching you painting and I enjoyed it a lot. Thank you for your feedback. I agree the near mountains were too warm looking. I added some blue to push them back and it worked very well. Besides I also darkened the shaded area of the middle shrub, added shadows of the two trees (in the right side middleground) near their trunks, added some textures to the glowing pallet of the pathway, and more textures to the water area near the viewer.
Here is my new version.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2018/2012918-Hawai3.jpg
Now I am waiting to see your version, I have seen you working on it today.

Raj
Hi Raj - I can appreciate the subtle changes you've made to the original painting you posted above. I just want to comment that I really like the original one, for all its "over-brightness" with the nearer mountain, as Rich observed. I liked it in the same way that people may like a photo that someone has played with on Photoshop and saturated the colors a bit, if that makes sense. Sometimes it's overdone, but other times it's just a more bright, cheerful photo. That's what I felt looking at your first version up there - colorful and bright, in your face, like a Gauguin or van Gogh painting. The changes you've made still leave a pleasant, colorful painting, no doubt, but it's rather like the sun went behind a cloud for a moment, for a still colorful, but less intense scene.

Sometimes I wonder (and I am very much a beginner at painting and drawing) if too much concern is given not to be overly colorful, even in areas of a painting, like the nearer-view mountain here, where it seems appropriate. Does it always matter? Just musing out loud, so to speak, and I'm interested in hearing your take, along with anyone else's.

I really like the foreground, and details and shadowing in the grassy areas. Your waves are perfect! :thumbsup:

terriks
04-17-2018, 06:22 PM

Lovely, Christel! It looks like a postcard for enjoying a sunset at a resort. Beautiful!

terriks
04-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Rich - you're painting live on Instagram now? And here I'm not on Instagram. *sniffle* I'm happy you've started with recording yourself, though. Congrats!! Do you think you'll make something for YouTube?

Are YouTube and Instagram similar things? Pardon my ignorance. My thinking has been that Instagram is for live recordings, and YouTube is for completed recordings, uploaded, that could be viewed anytime. ??

tuscanny
04-18-2018, 01:49 AM
Thanks rich and Terri!

rbhatt
04-18-2018, 06:36 AM
Hi Raj - I can appreciate the subtle changes you've made to the original painting you posted above. I just want to comment that I really like the original one, for all its "over-brightness" with the nearer mountain, as Rich observed. I liked it in the same way that people may like a photo that someone has played with on Photoshop and saturated the colors a bit, if that makes sense. Sometimes it's overdone, but other times it's just a more bright, cheerful photo. That's what I felt looking at your first version up there - colorful and bright, in your face, like a Gauguin or van Gogh painting. The changes you've made still leave a pleasant, colorful painting, no doubt, but it's rather like the sun went behind a cloud for a moment, for a still colorful, but less intense scene.

Sometimes I wonder (and I am very much a beginner at painting and drawing) if too much concern is given not to be overly colorful, even in areas of a painting, like the nearer-view mountain here, where it seems appropriate. Does it always matter? Just musing out loud, so to speak, and I'm interested in hearing your take, along with anyone else's.

I really like the foreground, and details and shadowing in the grassy areas. Your waves are perfect! :thumbsup:

Terri,
Thank you for your observations and comments about my painting. Just like you, I am also a newbie with painting, and I am learning everyday from books, from artists active on this forum, watching people's painting videos on Youtube, and trying those techniques on paper when I get free time. Once I read in a book that there are as many techniques of painting as there are artists out there. So, regarding your comment on being too much concerned about the rules of painting all the time, I would say we don't have to.

Rich's comment about cooling down the nearby mountain was for creating more depth in the painting and I think it worked nicely. I might have overdone it a little bit but I am happy with the changes as I can now see a clear contrast between distant mountains, nearby mountains, and foreground.

I also respect your liking of the original version and your interpretation of the newer version that the sun is partially blocked by clouds in the mountain regions. The way I see it is that the sun is still out there, bright and shiny causing strong shadows in the foreground, but the atmosphere is now little hazy (compared to the original version) obscuring the clarity of the sky and therefore the nearby mountains are less intense. Your interpretation is as good as mine. That's the beauty of art, it is subjective. It allows us to develop our own interpretation and connection based on our personal liking and taste.

Thanks,
Raj

rbhatt
04-18-2018, 06:37 AM
Christel,
This is a very nice painting of the sunset. Love the colors of the sky.

Raj

raizes
04-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Terri,
Thank you for your observations and comments about my painting. Just like you, I am also a newbie with painting, and I am learning everyday from books, from artists active on this forum, watching people's painting videos on Youtube, and trying those techniques on paper when I get free time. Once I read in a book that there are as many techniques of painting as there are artists out there. So, regarding your comment on being too much concerned about the rules of painting all the time, I would say we don't have to.

Rich's comment about cooling down the nearby mountain was for creating more depth in the painting and I think it worked nicely. I might have overdone it a little bit but I am happy with the changes as I can now see a clear contrast between distant mountains, nearby mountains, and foreground.

I also respect your liking of the original version and your interpretation of the newer version that the sun is partially blocked by clouds in the mountain regions. The way I see it is that the sun is still out there, bright and shiny causing strong shadows in the foreground, but the atmosphere is now little hazy (compared to the original version) obscuring the clarity of the sky and therefore the nearby mountains are less intense. Your interpretation is as good as mine. That's the beauty of art, it is subjective. It allows us to develop our own interpretation and connection based on our personal liking and taste.

Thanks,
Raj

This is great and the kind of engagement I want to see here at wetcanvas and in this forum. I feel it's helpful for artists to come together, talk and provide honest critique and/or share ideas and thoughts like this. Very happy to read this. :clap:

Terri, I understand what you're saying and I agree. In Raj's painting here, I felt the saturated, warm value of that nearest mountain was out of place (in terms of value/ color saturation) with the rest of the painting. To me it was sticking out and my eye got caught up in that corner trying to differentiate the color strength of that mountain compared to the objects in front (tree trunks and smaller middle tree)

Had Raj done the entire painting with same brightness/values as that near mounting (his first version), then I think it works as the entire painting is speaking the same.

I like both versions Raj put up, but on the second one - it feels more harmonious. The colors/values work better as a whole.

raizes
04-18-2018, 01:50 PM
Rich - you're painting live on Instagram now? And here I'm not on Instagram. *sniffle* I'm happy you've started with recording yourself, though. Congrats!! Do you think you'll make something for YouTube?

Are YouTube and Instagram similar things? Pardon my ignorance. My thinking has been that Instagram is for live recordings, and YouTube is for completed recordings, uploaded, that could be viewed anytime. ??

Yes, I'm painting live on instagram. Been doing it more consistently lately. What I like about it is it's Live - raw, real, honest, not edited. I got music playing and often "get in the zone" and forget that I'm recording. So I drop stuff, trip on things sometimes, catch myself singing...make mistakes, fix mistakes...rework an area...

People that watch me on instagram can ask questions and many do. There lots of people who want to get into oil pastels or pastels and so they watch and hopefully learn something.

Youtube is not out of the question and I plan to make some videos there too> just requires a lot more work as I would have to edit 3-4 hours of video. With instagram, I just launch the app on my iphone and hit the live feature. I have a chest mount that my iphone fits in and also a tripod to the side, so I can give the viewer a 1st person or 3rd person perspective. I'm playing around what what is camera position. My son tells me he likes the 3rd person perspective so that the view is stationary and doesn't move when I move.

terriks
04-18-2018, 03:46 PM

Totally agree with this, Raj! Thank you for appreciating my comments, as I really wanted to muse aloud without giving the impression I was finding fault with your changes in the final version.

btw, for a newbie, your talent is impressive. :thumbsup:

This is great and the kind of engagement I want to see here at wetcanvas and in this forum. I feel it's helpful for artists to come together, talk and provide honest critique and/or share ideas and thoughts like this. Very happy to read this. :clap:

I'm so glad! Like I was saying to Raj, I wanted to explore concepts a little without giving offense to anyone's artistic choices or preferences. As a newbie to painting and drawing, I'm intimidated at times. :)

terriks
04-18-2018, 03:48 PM
catch myself singing...

Sounds like I might have to get an Instagram account. :lol:

I'll try to figure it out. Love what you're saying about the immediacy of this approach, and agree that watching live with the ability to ask questions is pretty key.

tuscanny
04-18-2018, 11:27 PM
Thanks Raj.
On the subject of musing: things can get really awkward when changing certain aspects of a reference ( color theme, perspective, etc) but how else does one learn then. Feedback is so important and honest critique is more than welcome.

raizes
04-19-2018, 06:30 PM
Absolutely. Totally agree Christel. That feedback is so important, especially from the eyes and experience of another artist.

rbhatt
04-19-2018, 10:01 PM
Terri- Thank you for the compliment. In last 10 months, I did have improved my painting skills. It involved lot of late night practicing and evaluating/analyzing/revising your own work. I come from engineering background, so that also helped with the drawing part.

Christel- I totally agree with you. While constant experimenting and practicing are important, constructive feedback from another artists has the most powerful influence on learning.

Rich- It would be really nice if you could do some YouTube videos of your painting process. Instagram live is limited to the App version and we can't see it on bigger screen like on Desktop. I also like the third person view from a steady camera.

Thanks,
Raj

raizes
04-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback Raj, and great point about limitations on instagram. I havent' thought of it that way of seeing it on bigger screen. I think for youtube, I'd want a better cam than what my iphone 6s can give me though.

terriks
04-20-2018, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback Raj, and great point about limitations on instagram. I havent' thought of it that way of seeing it on bigger screen. I think for youtube, I'd want a better cam than what my iphone 6s can give me though.

Ah, so maybe it's time for that Kickstarter page - Rich needs a new cam! :D

Christel, thanks for weighing in. The feedback I get here has been helpful - especially when coming from artists much more familiar with the medium than I am.

raizes
04-20-2018, 09:54 PM
A gopro looks pretty nice....hmm ;)

IsobelW
04-23-2018, 08:42 AM
Quick drawing of the bee. A5. Light yellow card. Unfortunately, the background colour doesn't show.

raizes
04-24-2018, 05:21 PM
good work isobel!

tuscanny
04-25-2018, 01:34 AM
Great going Isobel!

terriks
04-25-2018, 10:08 PM
Love your chosen palette for the bee, Isobel. Nice!

terriks
04-29-2018, 03:48 PM
Just under the wire to get this in for April! Here's my take on the lighthouse image.

Rich, I remembered your comments on lightening the ocean at horizon's distance, and your reference image was a great chance to have a play with that. I've not worked on such a large swath of ocean before - it was fun!

Not wild about my rock-face. I think the palette there is ok, but not really happy with the drawing part, as usual. ;)

9x12 Mi Teintes paper, smooth side. Mostly used Mungyos and Senns. Artists seem to either love or hate this paper - I had no real issues with it. C&C always appreciated - thanks for looking!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2018/2007441-lighthouse.jpg

tuscanny
04-30-2018, 01:16 AM
Well done, Terri!

tuscanny
04-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Thanks for hosting this month, Rich. I enjoyed your choice of reference material tremendously.

terriks
04-30-2018, 04:00 PM
Thanks, Christel!

rbhatt
05-01-2018, 11:51 AM
Just under the wire to get this in for April! Here's my take on the lighthouse image.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2018/2007441-lighthouse.jpg

Wow! This is beautiful, Terri. Love your palette. Big waves are done so well.

Raj

terriks
05-01-2018, 05:48 PM
Thank you, Raj!

raizes
05-04-2018, 12:47 PM
Hey everyone. I've been sick for last couple weeks. Really bad virus and actually spent a day at the hospital. I'm just now starting to feel better. My energy is still pretty low. Needless to say, I surely miss painting.

Terri - I love your lighthouse scene. It's a very nice palette, and the cliffs look great to me. I love the angles and texture you got there.

tuscanny
05-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Glad you are feeling better, Rich. Looking forward to having you participate again.

terriks
05-05-2018, 09:48 AM
Yikes, Rich - sounds like you've been through the wringer! Glad you're feeling better.

Thanks for the kind words! I had fun with it.