PDA

View Full Version : Whom do you suggest that I learn from

onestrokeartist
04-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Well, a very few of you may know that I have been following a free online course with Len Hend. However, some of you have also suggested that I learn painting in acrylics from other types of artists. So I would like your suggestions please. Which artists should I be learning from to paint in acrylics?

Charlie's Mum
04-01-2018, 05:21 PM
See which artists you admire, whose work you like - study closely how they do it and try their way.
Examples can come from anywhere, the main thing is to look closely and try to work out what they do that you like.
I also think you can learn from work posted on here ....... as well as seeing what you do like you can also see what you don't like.
Check the Hall of Fame and the Information Kiosk too ......... and why not join us in our Different Strokes challenge to see how we all tackle a similar subject?

Find a reference that you really would like to paint - it can be from life or a photo, something you maybe have a 'feeling' for, an association with, then paint it.

onestrokeartist
04-01-2018, 05:49 PM
See which artists you admire, whose work you like - study closely how they do it and try their way.
Examples can come from anywhere, the main thing is to look closely and try to work out what they do that you like.
I also think you can learn from work posted on here ....... as well as seeing what you do like you can also see what you don't like.
Check the Hall of Fame and the Information Kiosk too ......... and why not join us in our Different Strokes challenge to see how we all tackle a similar subject?

Find a reference that you really would like to paint - it can be from life or a photo, something you maybe have a 'feeling' for, an association with, then paint it.

Thank you for the suggestions.:)

talisman
04-01-2018, 09:19 PM
I agree see who you like and admire and learn from their style.
Be sure and add your our spin on that style.

cliff.kachinske
04-02-2018, 08:08 AM
David Dunlop, if you are interested in landscapes. A lot of his demonstrations are in oil, though.

Unlike a lot of 'teachers,' he emphasizes how to see and think.

kin3
04-02-2018, 10:27 AM
I like Jerry Yarnell. also kevin hill, though most of his is oil.

~JMW~
04-02-2018, 01:17 PM
So many on you tube, explore & find favorite ones you like.. even oil painters you can learn from, plein air too.
Jerry Yarnell on you tube is good place to start.

onestrokeartist
04-02-2018, 02:09 PM
David Dunlop, if you are interested in landscapes. A lot of his demonstrations are in oil, though.

Unlike a lot of 'teachers,' he emphasizes how to see and think.

Yes, David Dunlop is certainly one to learn from, thank you!

onestrokeartist
04-02-2018, 02:15 PM
So many on you tube, explore & find favorite ones you like.. even oil painters you can learn from, plein air too.

Thank you. Unfortunately, with Jerry Yarnell, I can only find previews on youtube, he does not seem to have any full length painting videos unless you purchase them.

onestrokeartist
04-02-2018, 02:19 PM
I like Jerry Yarnell. also kevin hill, though most of his is oil.

Thank you, however, with Jerry, it seems he only has preview episodes on youtube no full length unless you purchase his videos. I love Kevin Hill!

onestrokeartist
04-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Plein air hopefully one of these days.

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2018, 05:07 PM
Christina, please have faith in your own ability!
You know how to apply paint.
You know how to mix colours.
You just need the subjects ..... honestly, you don't need to follow someone else's painting of a picture. :)

cliff.kachinske
04-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Well said, Maureen and absolutely correct. Something I wish I had thought to say.

Ellis Ammons
04-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Well yea,. what works for one artist probably wont work for the other. Learning from another artist is like trying to wear their shoes. It's much more comfortable to walk a mile in your own shoes. There is no substitute for holding a brush and putting paint on the canvas. You can watch a million videos but it will do very little for you. It does help to learn the basics from someone else though. Such as the importance of light fastness. How certain paints behave. ect.

That being said I like to watch Lachri fine art, Chuck black for acrylic stuff. Jason Morgan, Bob Ross and that old russian guy that was on tv in the 80s. I don't try to paint like them. I like my own work better :). But I find it soothing to watch people paint and a little inspirational. I like to turn on a video for nap time ;) and gives my mind a break from the intense focus of painting. Much like blogging on these forums

frodron
04-03-2018, 04:02 AM
Try "clive5art" he starts teaching at a simpler level than many tutors.

Ellis Ammons
04-03-2018, 06:31 AM
Oh yea.. forgot to mention Mark Carder He has some great tutorials on Youtube.
like how to match any paint color, setup a studio, and a whole lot more. He paints with oils, Alla Prima. But you can do the same thing with acrylics. For the most part.

Lisa Lachri,Chuck Black and Jason Morgan also have tutorials on youtube. Bob Ross has all his videos on Netflix also. You can learn alot from all of them. But it's really like learning english in school. You still have to write your own novel.

DMSS
04-03-2018, 07:39 AM
Will Kemp.

LavenderFrost
04-03-2018, 10:52 AM
I thought I commented here yesterday.

Anyway, I also like Jerry Yarnell. Check your pbs channels if you have any. I think he's on City S on Saturdays.

For me just coming to wetcanvas was the best way to learn. From comments and wips I learned about different techniques and colour and composition and applied these things to my own style. The lessons available here are also very good.

In the end I don't feel like I have set way of doing things. For every painting I do I study my reference and think about how to approach it. Plus I think we all have a way of doing things that comes naturally. This becomes noticeable when you try to paint in a different style. Ask anyone who has taken part in style based challenges. :D

Go find a reference you like and paint it.

~JMW~
04-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Explore the links in my siggy too - the forum by Johannes V.. so much to learn in the past threads. They have thread lessons , homework.. also a crits thread that you can learn from the comment/corrections..

He's is doing a free demo Wednesday..
https://www.artistsnetwork.com/store/instructor/free-painting-demo-waterfall-paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis

OrchardistPA
04-03-2018, 04:56 PM
I've enjoyed doing a couple tutorials with David Usher - full length videos on youtube. And agree about clive5art as well.

onestrokeartist
04-03-2018, 09:16 PM
Christina, please have faith in your own ability!
You know how to apply paint.
You know how to mix colours.
You just need the subjects ..... honestly, you don't need to follow someone else's painting of a picture. :)

Thank you for the vote of confidence! I will have to try and paint from a photo that I have taken and see how that proceeds.:)

onestrokeartist
04-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Oh yea.. forgot to mention Mark Carder He has some great tutorials on Youtube.
like how to match any paint color, setup a studio, and a whole lot more. He paints with oils, Alla Prima. But you can do the same thing with acrylics. For the most part.

Lisa Lachri,Chuck Black and Jason Morgan also have tutorials on youtube. Bob Ross has all his videos on Netflix also. You can learn alot from all of them. But it's really like learning english in school. You still have to write your own novel.

Thank you for the suggestions!

onestrokeartist
04-03-2018, 09:18 PM
I've enjoyed doing a couple tutorials with David Usher - full length videos on youtube. And agree about clive5art as well.

Thank you for your suggestions!

onestrokeartist
04-03-2018, 09:19 PM
Will Kemp.

Thank you!

onestrokeartist
04-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Try "clive5art" he starts teaching at a simpler level than many tutors.

Thank you!

onestrokeartist
04-03-2018, 09:21 PM
I agree see who you like and admire and learn from their style.
Be sure and add your our spin on that style.

Thank you for your comments!

cliff.kachinske
04-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Here's a little class about composition from the Information Kiosk.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578566&highlight=composition

This link will lead to a list of links about composition.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1320862

East Sun
04-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Learn from your self and what you have done, Observe what others have done AND WHAT YOU LIKE AND DO NOT LIKE.

Do not copy.............
Be creative above all...............Think:::::::::::::::

fedetony
04-06-2018, 05:36 AM
I suggest to learn from: "Mr. Experience" :) no one else can teach you like him :D
So just try to take the paints and meet him every time you try to paint something :)

KolinskyRed
04-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Will Kemp, Will Kemp Art School, (http://willkempartschool.com/)the finest assemblage of free painting videos I've found. On his web site, and also posted on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/user/willkempartschool

DMSS
04-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Will Kemp, Will Kemp Art School, (http://willkempartschool.com/)the finest assemblage of free painting videos I've found. On his web site, and also posted on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/user/willkempartschool
I agree with KolinskyRed. In addition, some of Will Kemp's videos that are for sale are worth paying for, such as his color mixing video set.

MaryThompson
04-06-2018, 02:45 PM
I watch all of the artists listed above, as well as a lot of mixed media artists and crafters, but also Cinnamon Cooney The Art Sherpa, whose YouTube videos are mostly for the very very beginners, but she occasionally does more advanced paintings and talks a LOT about the materials, the science behind how and why certain techniques work, etc.

What I most learn from watching YouTube painters is their strategy for layering and techniques to produce certain effects that I can then apply to my own work. I donít watch them because I want to emulate their styles, but only to see how they make their flavor of sausage so I can make my own sausage.

KolinskyRed
04-07-2018, 12:22 PM
I agree with KolinskyRed. In addition, some of Will Kemp's videos that are for sale are worth paying for, such as his color mixing video set. Hey David, opps ~ I thought I'd successful scanned the previous posts, but I see I missed that you had already posted the Will Kemp suggestion. Yes, I agree to that his "for sale" videos are also excellent value for money. The guy is amazing. Plus, all his articles are very helpful, as are the comments sections (when available) as Will takes time and care to thoroughly and thoughtful answer questions. I would note to any beginner that his style can often reflect the wonderful indirect method a little bit, which can feel a bit chaotic at first. This raises another good point, as mentioned by Mary Thompson

What I most learn from watching YouTube painters is their strategy for layering and techniques to produce certain effects that I can then apply to my own work. I donít watch them because I want to emulate their styles, but only to see how they make their flavor of sausage so I can make my own sausage.

~ about learning overall methods from a video. I'd always suggest having the patience to watch a video in its entirety first, and be able to say to myself afterwards what the steps are that I want to take on board ~ to be able to articulate the methods. Then I know for myself that I'm ready to try the video. And aren't the pause and rewind functions great!

jennifervs
04-11-2018, 02:31 PM
The videos mentioned in this thread are good, because a solid teacher can help clarify some of those things which can be more difficult to grasp (like color theory), to demonstrate a certain technique (like glazing or perspective) or just inspire you with energy and ideas.

But ultimately, the only way you learn how to paint is by painting, and no one will paint like you, which is a wonderful advantage. :-) Spend those hours in front of the canvas, and the quality of your work and your confidence will soar.

cinderblockstudios
04-25-2018, 11:07 PM
Not to toot my own horn...but I've got a bunch of stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/c/Cinderblockstudios

old_hobbyist
04-26-2018, 03:39 PM
All above great advice. My thought. Never be afraid to "mess around." Remember, with acrylics, in an hour you can paint over the entire thing or better yet! Frame and sell it!