PDA

View Full Version : Panpastels and pastel pencils

ZyadMohamed
04-01-2018, 09:31 AM
Salutations everyone. Today im wondering which medium I should try next. I have experience with pastels, but dont have my pastels anymore. So which would you recommend to a pastel artist? I dont want to use mainly sticks anymore. I already have 8 sheets of Arches 140 lb cold press. A couple of Uart sheets, and Im going to buy Mi-tientes with this order.

Anyway the choices are 48 set of carbothellos, or 60 if I save up for some more time. And the second choice is 10 panpastels. I might be able to get an extra 5 set, like the tints one.

So I already discussed the paper. I dont want to use a fixative, would glassine be able to adequately protect my pieces? Or do I not need any protection?

Anyway what extras would you need for both of them? I know for Panpastels I need the sofft tools. Do I need any blending tools or extras for pastel pencils?

My order so far is looking like mi-tientes, potentially glassine, and either a set of pastel pencils or panpastels and the sofft tools..

And finally if you have done work with either may you please post it? Id love to see. And thank you for reading this.

water girl
04-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Welcome to the pastel forum! You mentioned CarbOthellos, which are pastel pencils. If you are working small and like to paint details, that is fine. If you are working larger, you will need pastel sticks. Jack Richeson, Mungyo Gallery soft pastels (not student grade square pastels) or Rembrandt pastels are great starter sets. The glassine is fine as a cover for finished paintings, but in a pinch tracing paper will do. Also, depending on the look you are going for, Canson MiTientes has a smooth and textured side. Lightly run a pastel, or pastel pencil over the paper and you will see a waffled texture on one side. We'll be waiting for your first finished painting.

ZyadMohamed
04-01-2018, 03:02 PM
Salutations. Its good to be in the Pastel forum. In my post I mentioned I dont want to work with pastel sticks again. I usually work A4(9x12). Oh wait, I accidentally put soft pastel instead of pastel pencil. Is there any way for me to change the title? Is that why you talked about soft pastels? I apologize. Which would be better, pastel pencils or panpastels?

Equus Art
04-01-2018, 06:48 PM
I actually use stick, pencils and Pans, but more often now, I have been relying more on the Pans, along with the pastel pencils. I do love the detail work I can get with pencils and have found I can cover more area as "under painting" with the Pans. I have also worked with the Pans enough to finally get them to act right and can do more of the actual painting with them.

After experimenting with different papers, I have found that my choices for my style are PastelMat and Mi Tientes Touch.

This piece, Meadow's Majesty, was done with a lot of Pans and a small amount of pencils for extreme details. It measures 14" x 18" on Sand colored PastelMat. The Pans are now my work horse for soft backgrounds.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2018/1182735-Meadows_Majesty1.jpg

Cat

ZyadMohamed
04-01-2018, 08:31 PM
Wow, wonderous! Any advice for pan pastels?

I think you've persuaded me to get pans. Those papers are too expensive for me though. But I do have some Uart and 140 lb cold press watercolor paper. So what is it that you like about those papers? And ive seen artists I like use the canson pastel paper to great effect, here's one. http://www.panpastel.com/images/gallery/12_2_updates/portrait_lydia.jpg

Here is what my order page is looking like so far, tell me anything to add or take away. https://prnt.sc/izhilb

Thanks for everything!

Equus Art
04-02-2018, 07:23 AM
On your order, if you can either change the package of the round sponges to the assorted sizes or add an additional pack that does include those, I think that would be more useful to you. I personally, don't often use the round ones all that much, but do rely on the square and also the long tapered ended one.

Paper choice is a personal thing. The first time I used PastelMat, I didn't like it much but it was such a different feel for me than the other papers I'd worked on. I have used Canson with success, so certainly no reason to sell it short. Budget plays a big factor when you are just getting started and are trying to figure your creative tools out. The Touch paper worked for me when I want to have my mark making be looser and stop being so fiddly with details. Plus, it's a pretty rugged paper for wet underpainting, erasing and general abuse.

Have fun. It's a learning process and you will probably be frustrated in the beginning, but try to enjoy the journey.

Cat

ZyadMohamed
04-02-2018, 08:51 AM
Okay, I think this is what my final order will look like. https://prnt.sc/izp0dg

This may be too much too ask but do you know of any good videos or tutorials about panpastels? Of course I'll experiment when I get them, but its still nice to have base knowledge.

Thank you for everything, I really appreciate it.

marksmomagain
04-02-2018, 10:41 AM
I use just about any paper and board with the Pans.
And they combine wonderfully with other mediums. Right now I have three works in progress with Pans, using them with graphite, charcoal, ink and watercolor. For surfaces, one piece is on 300lb. Arches HP, one on drafting vellum and another on Multimedia Artboard.

For videos, go to the web site or just type in PanPastels in Youtube.

stapeliad
04-02-2018, 11:10 AM
You can do quite a lot with a combination of pans and pastel pencils. The pans will let you cover large areas and you can get the details with pencils that you cannot get with pans.

Sanded paper (like Uart) will eat your sofft tools immediately. I think a non-sanded paper like pastelmat or mi tiemtes is much better with pans.

While I do love panpastels the one thing about them apart from no superfine details is their covering power isn't always as full strength as traditional sticks. Though pastelmat grabs them more than mi tientes. So the color of the papeer is more important. If you are doing a brightly lit scene you might want to use a light paper.

Add a kneaded eraser to your order too, you'll be glad you did. :)

stapeliad
04-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Also, just want to add keep your sofft tools in a sealed ziplock bag. If left out, or in a drawer, they go hard and crusty. I don't know why. Sealing them seems to eliminate this problem.

ZyadMohamed
04-02-2018, 03:00 PM
I already have a kneadable eraser and some of those plastic vinyl erasers. And a sharpener. If you had to choose between only pans and only pencils which would you choose? Thanks.

stapeliad
04-02-2018, 03:05 PM
If you had to choose between only pans and only pencils which would you choose?

I would not make that choice, because neither can do the full range of everything I need. So I would use both.

Sticks will do both large areas and fine detail, but you don't want to use sticks so go with whatever assortment of pans and pencils you are able to get. :)

ZyadMohamed
04-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Actually I could do sticks. Its just that I wanted to try something new and thought that either pans or pencils would be better. If I had $40 to spend on pastels should I get softs, or a combination of hard ones and softs.