PDA

View Full Version : Quick-Dry-Cafe - April

Charlie's Mum
04-01-2018, 06:21 AM
This is where we finished March's conversations ... March QDC (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1443720&page=5)

Happy Easter everyone ( or Happy Whatever you celebrate today) :)

It's also April Fools' Day - anyone been caught?

I wonder how often Eater Sunday and April fool have coincided?... first I've noticed!

Anyway - for most in the Northern hemisphere I hope Spring has sprung - we're still waiting .... snow to the north and the south of us by just a few miles - we were just wet, wet, wet yesterday! Soggy sandwich!:lol:

Have a lovely day - whatever you're doing!

LavenderFrost
04-02-2018, 10:55 AM
A belated happy Easter. Feels more like Christmas here. Snow at Easter is nothing new for us, but it could be warmer.

I've been wanting to make some beaded Easter eggs. I'm finally going to start today. lol Painting challenges may be skipped this month.

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2018, 11:24 AM
When you were a child - and your parents when they were kids - paint 'paste eggs' for Easter?
We always had hard-boiled eggs which we dyed or painted with pretty faces or patterns ....... I wondered if other people did these too ............ now it just seems to be chocolate Easter eggs, the more expensive the better!:lol:

It's cold here too Michelle - 3C and been snow/sleet all day :(

bluefish
04-02-2018, 11:32 AM
we always dyed eggs for Easter, as a boy and carried that tradition forward with my children and grandchildren.....some of the Polish/Czech/ Lith ladies do some fabulous paintings on hard boiled eggs...

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2018, 11:40 AM
Will have to remember this for a future challenge!

Michelle - please show the beaded eggs here when done.:)

bluefish
04-02-2018, 01:38 PM
no snow at the beach.......but the Yankee home opener, in NYC, was postponed until tomorrow afternoon....'snowed out'....:eek:

Attalus
04-02-2018, 06:03 PM
We're having our Easter Cold Snap. Got down in the 40s last night, 60s today. :(

talisman
04-02-2018, 10:09 PM
I loved to dye the eggs...not too fond of eating them.
I had to have hard boiled eggs in my school lunch it seemed like forever after Easter. I know it really wasn't.
Funny thing I love Deviled eggs, now if only my folks would have done that!
I can't remember ever having them until I was living on my own.

LavenderFrost
04-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Some people buy the kits for decorating eggs with the kids. We never did that since I learned to make pysanky as a child, I always did that instead.

Yesterday I spent the day doing research and started making a pattern. There are a few ways to do beaded eggs and instructions are never in English. A couple of videos helped. The tricky part will be making it fit the egg.

-18C when I got up this morning. At least it isn't snowing.

Charlie's Mum
04-03-2018, 10:41 AM
At those temps Michelle, you could just transfer the freezer stuff to outside and save on electricity!:lol:
Brrrrr. here, it's now reached 8C with cold rain ...... also had some heavy fogs last night and lunchtime.

talisman
04-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Pysanky is great!:thumbsup:
I never did that as a child, I did do one in German camp as a teenager, it took me all day to make one egg!:lol:

Charlie's Mum
04-03-2018, 11:41 AM
I had to look that up - thank goodness for the www!

I didn't know about these, but we used to paint patterns on our eggs too - not this intricate and we were children (lots of moons ago!!!)

We also drew colourful patterns on our spinning tops - now did you have those too?:)

SusietheModel
04-03-2018, 04:14 PM
A church friend of ours is married to a Ukraninaian, and she gives us a patterned egg every Easter. We used to have several, but my dumb cousin tried to juggle them and broke some. Brat. :o

LavenderFrost
04-04-2018, 10:16 AM
Omg, if some tried juggling my Easter eggs they would feel some pain. lol I don't think anyone around here would even think of doing that. They are symbols of tradition and religion, every colour and motif represents something.

I don't know about the tops Maureen.

I didn't check the temps first thing but it's 9:17am and -7C. Looks promising.

idylbrush
04-04-2018, 11:18 AM
It was 80F for Easter.

Today I transplanted a tomato plant. Rhubarb has sprouted. Starting to shape up as a small garden.

Attalus
04-04-2018, 01:11 PM
It's chilly (55F) but cloudless and sunny. Methinks a walk is in the cards.

talisman
04-04-2018, 01:14 PM
Looks pretty outside but it's chilly.
The cat keeps wanting out and we open the door and she's like, yuk and goes back to take a nap inside.

Attalus
04-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Just looked out the window and Susie's Shepherd and my Golden are playing dog tag (one jumps on the other, they roll and play fight, then jumps up and runs a few yards away and do the play-bow).

cliff.kachinske
04-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Howard, you have rhubarb? I thought it would not grow in southern climates. I would like just enough for one pie a year.

LavenderFrost
04-05-2018, 10:06 AM
lol Dianna, we had a cat that would check both doors, just in case.

I often start flower seeds indoors but I think I'll just buy my plants this year. Plant shopping is the fun part.

talisman
04-05-2018, 10:42 AM
lol Dianna, we had a cat that would check both doors, just in case.

There's a Science Fiction book "The Door Into Summer" by Robert A. Heinlein it starts with a house with many doors, nine I think, and a cat that would want to have each and every one opened because one door must be the door in to summer.

Charlie's Mum
04-05-2018, 12:48 PM
I'd love a house with a door that opened onto summer! ..... one that opens onto spring would suffice at the moment!:lol:

Winter - begone!!!!!!!!

Attalus
04-05-2018, 01:19 PM
There's a Science Fiction book "The Door Into Summer" by Robert A. Heinlein it starts with a house with many doors, nine I think, and a cat that would want to have each and every one opened because one door must be the door in to summer.Yes, I have read it,long ago (not one of my favorites of his), though I have read to death two copies of Glory Road and at least three of Starship Troopers, and that darned cat is the only thing I remember from it!

bluefish
04-05-2018, 03:16 PM
everyone here on the East Coast have the same sentiments....50 MPH Arctic winds yesterday and 2"-4" of snow for Sat....here at the beach!....and more rain/snow for Monday, Tues....burr....:eek:

Attalus
04-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Sorry to hear it, blue. Stay safe and give Stephanie Plum a cuddle from me! :wink2:

idylbrush
04-05-2018, 11:50 PM
Howard, you have rhubarb? I thought it would not grow in southern climates. I would like just enough for one pie a year.

Iím giving it a try to see what happens. May be a bust but an experiment non the less.

Attalus
04-06-2018, 01:30 AM
Wyatt's Cafeteria used to have rhubarb pie. I used to get it to shock the rest of my family, I think. I seem to remember that it was quite good. :)

LavenderFrost
04-06-2018, 10:20 AM
It's cold, -19C with the windchill.

I used to like dipping rhubarb in sugar, but otherwise don't like it. Probably every yard in town had rhubarb on it, except mine, I got rid of it.

Charlie's Mum
04-06-2018, 11:22 AM
I used to like dipping rhubarb in sugar, - we ate it this way too - also in pies and mum (in fact all the ladies in the family!) made Rhubarb wine - very potent!:lol:
I also dug mine up from the garden a few years ago - should have kept it because it's an expensive item in the supermarkets now!

Sun again today and 10C .... nice change but wind is still cold ........ and blue, that weather you're about to get? - I think it's then coming this way! Brrrr.

Attalus
04-06-2018, 12:10 PM
73F , Cloudy and muggy, here, but it's supposed to cool off tomorrow. Good excuse to go barefoot. Our water was off again this morning, so Susie got the "jug shower" treatment again. She was still barefooted with wet hair when she got into her little car to drive to work this morning. She loves to drive that thing barefooted.

bluefish
04-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Maureen....don't tell me I'll need more than my toothbrush!.....:angel:

Bill...that sounds dangerous, driving in bare feet....must be some law, up here, to prevent that...:confused:

Attalus
04-06-2018, 01:07 PM
Maureen....don't tell me I'll need more than my toothbrush!.....:angel:

Bill...that sounds dangerous, driving in bare feet....must be some law, up here, to prevent that...:confused:Yeah, it's against the law here in Texas, too. It's also against the law to exceed the speed limit, to fail to come to a complete stop at stop signs, and to park in no parking areas and handicapped zones. I ain't saying anything else without a lawyer present. :angel:

bluefish
04-06-2018, 02:08 PM
poor Susie could get busted!....hope her toe nail polish is in good shape....:)

Attalus
04-06-2018, 04:02 PM
She could be, but she says that as long as when a road toad, er, Highway Patrolman, pulls her over, she has her skirt pulled up over her knees and smiles big, she never gets a ticket. Hasn't to my knowledge, yet, and we have been together ten years since last May. :heart:

bluefish
04-06-2018, 04:11 PM
I'm sure it's the innocent smile .....:wink2:

Susie could place her new painting in 'Watermedia' , if it's not acceptable in here....I'm sure we all would love to see it :thumbsup:

SusietheModel
04-06-2018, 04:11 PM
Heh, Bill read that post to me over the phone before he posted it, and I approve. Been doing that since high school. Just so y'all know, my nickname in high school was "Zoom-Zoom." :evil:

Blue, I don't know anybody there, I would rather post it here.

bluefish
04-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Susie.....I for one would love to view your painting on here, but that's the moderator's call....I've painted many 'watercolor' type paintings utilizing acrylics and the general public never knew the difference..some people utilize house paint for the background and come on here, so a WC background(which could be acrylic) with the detailed painting in acrylics presents no problem for my viewing but I'm not a moderator!.....:rolleyes:

hope to see your new painting somewhere....and if we have to travel to another site, your friends will do so...:wave:

Charlie's Mum
04-06-2018, 05:22 PM
Susie's going to post her painting here in the Cafe to adorn our walls Blue.:D

bluefish
04-06-2018, 06:31 PM
:clap: .....it pays to know the right people! :p

Attalus
04-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Susie's going to post her painting here in the Cafe to adorn our walls Blue.:DYes, and she is pleased. Which is good because when she is pleased, I am pleased. :clear:

PattiLou
04-06-2018, 08:58 PM
Yummy! Someone mentioned rhubarb :thumbsup: :clap: I love rhubarb pie or strawberry rhubarb pie or rhubarb preserves. Used to make all the above when we lived in Ohio. It needs good cold weather to grow. My mother liked it like eating celery. :eek:

LavenderFrost
04-07-2018, 09:44 AM
I didn't think there would be a law against driving barefoot. Much worse to drive in improper shoes.

What if you get pulled over by a woman Susie? lol Blame it on your man?

My beading project is taking a lot longer then I expected. Watched all of season 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events and still didn't finish the band that goes around the middle of the egg.

SusietheModel
04-07-2018, 12:49 PM
I didn't think there would be a law against driving barefoot. Much worse to drive in improper shoes.

What if you get pulled over by a woman Susie? lol Blame it on your man?

Women cops don't pull you over for silly stuff. One have pulled me over for speeding, once, but I got out of it by looking very young and telling her I was running late for my first day at work. Got off with a warning. Heh, Bill doesn't tell me how to vote, either, even though a certain pol said that . :angel:

Attalus
04-07-2018, 01:48 PM
No politics, sweetie, okay?

Nassty and cold today. I had some "baby-its-cold-out" soup for lunch. Had to remind myself to save some stock for next time. :wave:

bluefish
04-07-2018, 04:38 PM
well no snow so far but COLD.......think I'll pack an electric toothbrush!...:angel:

Charlie's Mum
04-08-2018, 02:52 PM
It dried up today and temps up to 50sF so mowed the lawn until the mower ran out of juice and needed recharging..... first cut of season never looks good but at least it looks better than it did!
Rains forecast again blue, so mac needed as well as electric toothbrush!!!

Hope you don't get more snow.

bluefish
04-08-2018, 07:11 PM
gosh Maureen.....you'll have me packing a suitcase......:lol: :wave:

that cold Arctic air did some good.....it pushed the storm out to sea....cold but NO SNOW! :thumbsup: :clap:

Attalus
04-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Got up to 62F here, today. S. had her friends over so I took a good, long walk.

idylbrush
04-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Been warm here. Been working in the garden. Seeds have sprouted. Now to get them in the ground.

Charlie's Mum
04-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Cold, wet and miserable - again! 5C ...:( :( :(

Attalus
04-12-2018, 01:45 PM
Warm and windy, here. 71F, getting up to 81. Walked yesterday, so I am drawing today. :clap:

Charlie's Mum
04-15-2018, 09:53 AM
Spring arrived! :)

bluefish
04-15-2018, 10:04 AM
should I re-pack my toothbrush?.....:lol:

PattiLou
04-15-2018, 06:01 PM
We have tornado warnings this afternoon! :eek:

SherylG
04-15-2018, 10:22 PM
Hi folks. Its been a few weeks since I have posted here. We moved to the north, as we do every spring. This year its a permanent move. We bought a house in Fort Nelson, BC. Its close to our summer work residence and we like the town a lot. We have been working up here in the summers for 6 years now and love the north. I have been painting small works to sell in a nearby campground/hotsprings gatehouse. Its a very busy location and things sell well there. I did a lot of greeting cards in the winter months to sell, as well as the smaller paintings. I will post some pics when I take them. We are starting work soon but I will continue painting for the new house . :)

Attalus
04-15-2018, 11:24 PM
Hi folks. Its been a few weeks since I have posted here. We moved to the north, as we do every spring. This year its a permanent move. We bought a house in Fort Nelson, BC. Its close to our summer work residence and we like the town a lot. We have been working up here in the summers for 6 years now and love the north. I have been painting small works to sell in a nearby campground/hotsprings gatehouse. Its a very busy location and things sell well there. I did a lot of greeting cards in the winter months to sell, as well as the smaller paintings. I will post some pics when I take them. We are starting work soon but I will continue painting for the new house . :)Looking forward to seeing them. Me, I haven't been north of San Fran in decades. Can't stand cold weather. :wink2:

Charlie's Mum
04-16-2018, 08:29 AM
Hi Sheryl :wave: .... you're welcome to cooler climes! I'm just glad it's supposed to be warming up here!
Blue, still a cool wind but temps are supposed to soar this week .... except our north eastern coastal region, so I don't think it'll be bikini time here!:lol:

Managed some time in the garden cutting out dead stuff .... spring is so late there's hardly a tree bud opened yet. The daffs are open though ... at least 5 weeks late ... but they're very pretty.

bluefish
04-16-2018, 08:40 AM
just let me know when you will be 'sporting' that bikini.....I'll pack my drawing material, along with my toothbrush......:evil: :lol: :wave:

Charlie's Mum
04-16-2018, 08:43 AM
Haha, chance would be a fine thing!!!

LavenderFrost
04-16-2018, 10:31 AM
I hope nothing comes of those warnings Patti. We don't get a lot of tornadoes here but they still give me nightmares.

Sounds like a great place to live Sheryl. Thought I did have some luck lately, a local man bought a few.

bluefish
04-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Sheryl.....best of everything with the new home ....:thumbsup:

will you stay up there when winter sets in or move the mobile to warmer climates? :confused:

PattiLou
04-16-2018, 04:30 PM
I hope nothing comes of those warnings Patti. We don't get a lot of tornadoes here but they still give me nightmares.

Just a lot of wind and rain, luckily. The rain was welcomed but the wind was trying to blow me away. :lol: Now, today is about 15 degrees cooler. Go figure!

LavenderFrost
04-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Just noticed my typo... though, not thought.

Snow is still slowly melting. I guess that's a good thing rather than it melting fast.

Attalus
04-17-2018, 12:30 PM
I think I have overdressed today,sweatsuit when It is already 69F. :clear:

PattiLou
04-17-2018, 03:04 PM
I don't know what is causing this crazy weather, but it can stop any time. It was 50 degrees this morning, more like January weather instead of mid-April. Oh well, at least the sun is shining.

Bought more mulch today (can only get so many bags in the Jeep at one time) so we spread that around. I think we are finished with that job. Took care of some weeds too and trimmed a couple branches on the oak tree that were reaching for the motorhome port. We trim it one day, look around and it has already grown back. :eek: Can't keep up with it. Now if the grass would grow where it is supposed to instead of weeds it would look better.

Lots of people have left our community to go back north but the traffic sure has not diminished any at all. There must be more people staying in Florida year round. Makes it interesting trying to go anywhere.

Lady Carol
04-18-2018, 11:36 PM
In Oregon

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2018/11811-IMG_0359-sm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2018/11811-IMG_0413-sm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2018/11811-IMG_0488-sm.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-19-2018, 09:41 AM
Gorgeous pics!
Is that Haystack Rock - I painted it a few years ago!:)

LavenderFrost
04-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Nice photos!

I did finish one beaded egg. I don't think I will ever use this technique again, took way too long. Planning to try a different technique next.

It's a little bumpy, I probably should have started reducing a round or two lower.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2018/104871-BeadedEgg600x800.jpg

bluefish
04-19-2018, 10:30 AM
WOW that egg is beautiful BUT what happens to the beads when you crack the egg to make 'scambled eggs' :confused: :lol: :wave:

Attalus
04-19-2018, 01:32 PM
WOW that egg is beautiful BUT what happens to the beads when you crack the egg to make 'scambled eggs' :confused: :lol: :wave:If it's anything like Susie's friend who makes Ukranian-style eggs for Easter, they have had a hole picked in each end and blown out. THEN, you can make scrambled eggs with them. Sunny-side up is right out. Sort of the reverse of "Don't try and teach your grandma to suck eggs."

idylbrush
04-19-2018, 01:52 PM
Been working in the garden. Transplanted a few tomatoes today. Have a composter arriving later today. The florida sun is tough on plastics. Last composter was good for six years. About all I can expect.

Attalus
04-19-2018, 04:48 PM
Been working in the garden. Transplanted a few tomatoes today. Have a composter arriving later today. The florida sun is tough on plastics. Last composter was good for six years. About all I can expect.I had ours made out of treated pine. Good for 20+ years, now. My old Golden liked to lie in it (

Charlie's Mum
04-19-2018, 05:23 PM
Michelle, that's beautiful ... despite what you see as a mistake, I think it's gorgeous ...... and here's a deadly sin :envy :envy: :envy:!!!!!

Mowed the lawn yesterday - grass long, mower heavy as I had to use the hover mower ... hands have been very sore from the two hours pushing/pulling, cleaning out build-up of grass every couple of lengths ..... last night I couldn't even hold a pencil without hands cramping :eek: ........ hopefully now I can keep it short and use my cordless mower again.
Spent an hour today trying to weed areas - got a couple of square yards done and hands couldn't take any more!
I think the weather will put a stop to gardening again on Saturday - and I'm out tomorrow.
I never have any luck with compost bins - tried a couple of plastic ones (mice made a nest there), tried heaps - never got hot enough, tried brick ones (in this garden when we came) - they didn't work well either, the previous owners had built them on a concrete base so essential worms never did inhabit them! I'm trying a plastic one in a different part of the garden but it doesn't seem to have done much over the winter!
Howard - have you ordered one that turns, like a drum?..... suppose to remove the hard work of turning the stuff!

Lady Carol
04-20-2018, 12:29 AM
Yes it is haystack

Lady Carol
04-20-2018, 12:32 AM
A cooperative model who fortunately for me did not move for the 6 sec exposure.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2018/11811-IMG_0505.JPG

LavenderFrost
04-20-2018, 09:12 AM
There's a wooden egg in there. I use wood or plastic eggs with beads.

Well I don't envy the yard work lol. Snow is still melting.

I never had luck with composting either. I've been tempted to get one that turns.

idylbrush
04-22-2018, 10:40 AM
A double bin rotating composter has arrived. Now to get it assembled and started. I have wood chips waiting. Transplanted tomatoes this morning after augmenting the soil, limed it and top dressed. Hard to grow things in nothing but sand. Everything is watered in and appears to be doing okay.

Attalus
04-22-2018, 02:02 PM
We have a patch out by the back fence reserved for tomatoes. Susie loves to remind me of the spring where the cherry tomatoes we "composted" in fall grew out of the compost bin. Best I ever tasted.

Charlie's Mum
04-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Bill, the best potatoes I ever grew were similarly 'sown'!.... and that compost heap was just a place to throw old basket compost, weeds, and rubbish!

Attalus
04-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Heck, Maureen, ours is similar. Just a wooden pen with a door built against an old chicken house that I let a local carpenter put up to pay for a few minor surgeries his wife was having done. I followed Rachel Ray's advice and put all my peelings etc. into a scrap bowl as well as vegetable leftovers and my younger boy (who liked to "help me cook") would take out and dump them once a day. "Adding to the compost" sounds better than "taking out the garbage". And when I prune trees or our clean out our beds, that goes in there, too, as well as the weeds Susie digs out of the yard. I have one of the neighborhood boys turn it over every Spring with a heavy duty garden fork and a spade. It works for us, and we don't fuss over it.

PattiLou
04-22-2018, 09:20 PM
A double bin rotating composter has arrived. Now to get it assembled and started. I have wood chips waiting. Transplanted tomatoes this morning after augmenting the soil, limed it and top dressed. Hard to grow things in nothing but sand. Everything is watered in and appears to be doing okay.I am jealous!:lol:

LavenderFrost
04-23-2018, 10:32 AM
The snow is pretty much gone now. I might actually have to go out and do yard work soon.

Attalus
04-23-2018, 01:55 PM
We got a lot done this weekend. Susie just about wore her dandelion fork out, and I got pretty much all the winter kill (not much this year) off the trees. God job we did, as the yard crew is here a day early, making everything hideous with noise. :clear:

cliff.kachinske
04-23-2018, 02:07 PM
A double bin rotating composter has arrived. Now to get it assembled and started. I have wood chips waiting. Transplanted tomatoes this morning after augmenting the soil, limed it and top dressed. Hard to grow things in nothing but sand. Everything is watered in and appears to be doing okay.

My father used to grow tomatoes hydroponically in five gallon buckets. Got better results than in that Florida sand.

Thirty years ago there were big tomato farms on Yamato Blvd in in Boca Raton. Used black plastic to keep down the weeds. Probably all condos now.

idylbrush
05-01-2018, 06:30 PM
The first tomatoes are set. Maybe I will have a couple this year.