PDA

View Full Version : DIFFERENT STROKES: Our forum challenge for APRIL

Pages : [1] 2

Charlie's Mum
04-01-2018, 06:14 AM
WELCOME TO THE DIFFERENT STROKES CHALLENGE FOR APRIL 2018

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread HERE ([URL="http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302516)

Few rules -

All entries must be for this challenge and in acrylics - any type of acrylic.

Join in the discussion about the project - it's friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images!

A 'reveal' date for all is 21st of the month - that gives us 3 weeks to make the work, plus an extra week for latecomers.

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 21ST OF THE MONTH.**
If work is uploaded early it will be moved to a safe place until 21st.

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations - that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!
By all means ask questions in the thread or initiate discussion about the challenge - just don't post images!!!

The theme for this month is ………….

The Seven Deadly sins

Sins

Whatever our religion or moral code, we can all be, and probably are, guilty of one or more of the Seven Cardinal or Deadly Sins!!!:eek:

According to one source:

Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, which interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation.

Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.

Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.

Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.

Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.

Image refs – for interest!- and information links………..
Hieronymous Bosch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Deadly_Sins_and_the_Four_Last_Things#/media/File:Hieronymus_Bosch-_The_Seven_Deadly_Sins_and_the_Four_Last_Things.JPG) – (attributed)
Wikipedia

Some modern depictions here (https://useum.org/blog/7-Deadly-Sins-Art)

Paintings by William Woodward (http://williamwoodward.com/home/paintings/seven-deadly-sins/)- his bio is accessible from this page too.

A very different and modern take on the subject by Michael Craig-Martin (http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/craig-martin-seven-deadly-sins-103670) – at the Tate

Pieter the Elder Bruegel (https://www.wikiart.org/en/pieter-bruegel-the-elder/by-series/the-vices-and-the-virtues) (c. 1525-1569) - The Vices and the Virtues

However the optional – twist to this challenge is ………..
.. to try to paint this in a Naïve Style.

Wikipedia definition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na%C3%AFve_art)- - which also shows one of the most famous ‘naïve’ artists, Henri Rousseau (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Rousseau)and his works
Henri Rousseau (http://www.henrirousseau.org/)

Grandma Moses (https://nmwa.org/works/calhoun)

More info here (https://www.widewalls.ch/naive-art-movement-artists/)
……….. and Canadian artist Maude Lewis (https://www.artgalleryofnovascotia.ca/maud-lewis)

Now have fun!:)

DaneelOlivaw
04-01-2018, 06:59 AM
Oooh! Everything I paint is naïve style because I've had no formal training...

Do you particularly want it with the skewed perspective, that seems to go with the painters you suggested looking at?

I don't know if I can come up with an idea!

Clever you, that's a poser.

A funny subject for me... I'd burst into flames if I entered any place of worship... lol.

BiancaDilella
04-01-2018, 08:09 AM
I think my personal style is naive influenced by romantic and modern painters. I am new to the site and would love to try

WoodyWelch
04-01-2018, 08:20 AM
I looked up HENRI ROUSSEAU and found a gallery of a great deal of his art work in the "naive" style. I think I'll pass on this one.

talisman
04-01-2018, 08:37 AM
I really, really love the concept of the seven deadly sins!
Not really in with the native style.
Henri Rousseau looked better than the other two.
I'll have to think on this.

Attalus
04-01-2018, 09:25 AM
I have meditated on the Seven Deadly Sins since I was studying medieval mystery plays in college. Naive style, eh? LIke Daneel, I have special training in that! And I love "Le Douanier," as the French artists called him.

old_hobbyist
04-01-2018, 11:04 AM
I'm in, Maureen.

Attalus
04-01-2018, 01:52 PM
I looked up HENRI ROUSSEAU and found a gallery of a great deal of his art work in the "naive" style. I think I'll pass on this one.But, but...you could do so great on "Lust"....:(

Margaretta
04-01-2018, 05:03 PM
What a great idea! Well, I'm committing sloth and greed this evening as I laze on the settee with the TV and devour too much chocolate. Food for thought? Maybe....:)
As for naïve....Rousseau Le Douanier is a favourite. I love his jungle pictures.

Charlie's Mum
04-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Bianca - a warm welcome to the forum and the challenge :)

The artists are simply examples of naive artists - you paint in your own 'naive' style, whatever that might be! ........ and Woody - you disappoint me, I was sure there was a perfect subject listed for you!!!!! :lol:

I'm sure you'll all come up with something original!

Perhaps the 'twist' could be optional!

PS - you really don't have to experience the 'sin' before depicting it!:evil:

bluefish
04-01-2018, 05:26 PM
a 'lust for chocolate' is a sin????......Margaretta do you see that gentleman in the 'red suit and pitchfork'.....????????:evil: :lol: :wave:

WoodyWelch
04-01-2018, 06:01 PM
But, but...you could do so great on "Lust"....:(
Yeah, if it was left at the seven deadly sins I'd probably do seven separate paintings but doing them in a "naive" style is something I'm not interested in. 'Course that gives me more aesthetic input in this month's Fantasy and Science fiction sub forum challenge......which is "monsters in history" or something....right up my street. :thumbsup:

You want "lust" wait 'til one of the moderators comes up with a challenge about visualizing your favorite food....I'll show ya lust. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

:lol:

WoodyWelch
04-01-2018, 06:31 PM
When I painted the cover for the Go-Go's album cover for RETURN TO THE VALLEY OF THE GO-GO'S, I was told by the art director to paint it in the style of Bob Peak. I respect other artists but Peak's style ain't mine. They were paying me a truck load of money so I buckled down and did it, although I would've much rather excreted hedge hogs from my rear through a hoop and into a bucket. (I'm a good whore):cool:

It just bothers me to do something in a style that I find aesthetically displeasing, that's all.:)

talisman
04-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Cool I'm in with the optional "Twist".

WoodyWelch
04-01-2018, 11:51 PM
OK, I figured out a way to satisfy the challenge WITHOUT abandoning my own style. (And yes, Bill, it will be LUST!!!!!) I'll tell ya what I'm a-gonna do....I'm going to have a nude model posing, done in MY style....and then I will have just off center a canvas with a painting on it done in some kind of primitive "naive" style. SO THERE!!!! A realistic model and for comparison, one of those types of paintings on the easel... I knew I could figure it out if I just went out and put a pizza in me! :lol:

Now we'll wait 21 days to see if I know what I'm talking about.:clear:

old_hobbyist
04-02-2018, 12:23 AM
Don't forget Georg Grosz. Some of his ideas are truly naïve.

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2018, 06:16 AM
Great Woody - didn't want to lose you!:lol:

BUT - I'm making the 'twist' an optional extra .......... the main challenge is enough in itself!:lol:

Today I'm favouring 'sloth' ......... it's all white outside from the horrid wet sleet/snow which is showing no let-up:(

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2018, 06:18 AM
PLEASE NOTE EDIT TO BOTTOM OF POST#1

bluefish
04-02-2018, 09:36 AM
I have 21 days to figure out who the 'lucky' model will be......:angel:

will it be Margaretta, Michelle, Dianna, Maureen, or ??????:evil: :lol: :confused:

talisman
04-02-2018, 10:19 AM
I have 21 days to figure out who the 'lucky' model will be......:angel:

will it be Margaretta, Michelle, Dianna, Maureen, or ??????:evil: :lol: :confused:

Oh fun!
But I think Woody already has a voluptuous model in mind!:thumbsup:

LavenderFrost
04-02-2018, 10:51 AM
There must be another Michelle here because I sure ain't model material. :lol:

Geez, monsters for one challenge and sins in the other. What a month. Not making any promises on this one. Or maybe a blank canvas could be a good example of sloth.

Am I going to have to make sure my son isn't around after the reveal date?

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2018, 10:56 AM
I think I should have chosen 'Seasons' instead - it's freezing here. :( :(

bluefish
04-02-2018, 11:34 AM
I was referring to Woody's 'luscious' model......:angel:

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2018, 11:36 AM
I have no doubt at all that Woody's model will be luscious, voluptuous and saucy ..... so that definitely lets me out!:lol: :lol:

WoodyWelch
04-02-2018, 12:05 PM
I have four gal pals that I have built extensive portfolios on as far as reference material goes....they come in handy when I have to take a head from a celebrity and put it on a body pose of my choosing, for example (I can't use Google images for everything) Each of them have very different body types.I pay them $40.00 per hour to pose in front of my camera and at the end of the sessions I take the model out to a fancy restaurant in Hollywood. I'll be using Jess for BOTH the Acrylic and Fantasy & Science Fiction challenges this month. I like to call Jess the Japanese Miley Cyrus....she likes to punch me in the stomach when I say that. It works out.

:cool:

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2018, 01:16 PM
Woody - did you notice post #18?:)

I look forward to 'seeing' Jess here!:)

bluefish
04-02-2018, 01:30 PM
I guess it's going to be 'luscious Jess'.....:thumbsup:

sorry Margaretta, Michelle, Dianna and especially Maureen.....maybe next month, instead of a model, a cake baker will be required......:rolleyes: :wave:

Attalus
04-02-2018, 06:43 PM
When I painted the cover for the Go-Go's album cover for RETURN TO THE VALLEY OF THE GO-GO'S, I was told by the art director to paint it in the style of Bob Peak. I respect other artists but Peak's style ain't mine. They were paying me a truck load of money so I buckled down and did it, although I would've much rather excreted hedge hogs from my rear through a hoop and into a bucket. (I'm a good whore):cool:

It just bothers me to do something in a style that I find aesthetically displeasing, that's all.:)That babe in the gold boots and her right hand neighbor say "lust" all I can personally handle. :angel:

WoodyWelch
04-02-2018, 08:35 PM
Woody - did you notice post #18?:)

I look forward to 'seeing' Jess here!:)

You mean that post that says we can paint one or more of the 7 sins without having to resort to the naive style? Yep...saw it. It's a long long way to the 21rst (or so it seems) Don't worry....I'll so something! :D

WoodyWelch
04-02-2018, 08:37 PM

sorry Margaretta, Michelle, Dianna and especially Maureen.....maybe next month, instead of a model, a cake baker will be required......:rolleyes: :wave:

:lol:

talisman
04-02-2018, 10:04 PM

That's funny I actually am a professional cake decorator, that's how I make my living!

Mayfly
04-02-2018, 10:32 PM
This will be a good challenge. It will not be a voluptuous slender lucious model.....etc.....it will be _________________ .

bluefish
04-03-2018, 06:39 AM
next month's challenge could be......'here's a plain old cake, lets see the decorations you come up with......'.....Dianna would have some competition with Woody piling on the voluptuous icing! ......:lol: :wave:

Charlie's Mum
04-03-2018, 06:59 AM
:lol: :lol:

Carl -It will not be a voluptuous slender lucious model.....etc..
Not for me either - don't have the 'luxury' of live models - voluptuous or otherwise ....... now if Blue lived closer, he could model for me for ............. :o modesty forbids me ................!!!! :lol:

bluefish
04-03-2018, 09:29 AM
Maureen...you heard what Woody pays his models.....so, for $40 an hour and a dinner in a swanky restaurant, I can be secured....and if you pay cash, there's no tax!....:lol: .....a little 'under the table' business!....:lol:

LavenderFrost
04-03-2018, 10:17 AM
next month's challenge could be......'here's a plain old cake, lets see the decorations you come up with......'.....Dianna would have some competition with Woody piling on the voluptuous icing! ......:lol: :wave:
:lol::lol::lol:

Charlie's Mum
04-03-2018, 10:42 AM
OK blue - :thumbsup: :lol:

bluefish
04-03-2018, 10:50 AM
WOW....I got hired! :clap: :lol: :smug:

talisman
04-03-2018, 11:03 AM
So who's going to foot the bill for travel expenses?:rolleyes:

Charlie's Mum
04-03-2018, 11:43 AM
D'you think WC might foot the bill?:lol:

WoodyWelch
04-03-2018, 03:03 PM
You mean that post that says we can paint one or more of the 7 sins without having to resort to the naive style? Yep...saw it. It's a long long way to the 21rst (or so it seems) Don't worry....I'll do something! :D.......

SusietheModel
04-03-2018, 04:11 PM
Maureen...you heard what Woody pays his models.....so, for $40 an hour and a dinner in a swanky restaurant, I can be secured....and if you pay cash, there's no tax!....:lol: .....a little 'under the table' business!....:lol:Bill pays some of his models $40 an hour, one of them $100 for two hours; but no dinners. Those are the RULES.

Some of his models work for dinners, or just room and board. Different set. :angel:

Attalus
04-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Heh, and the latter set are harder to get along with, right? :lol:

bluefish
04-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Oh Maureen....this modeling has gotten confusing.....$40 with dinner, $40 without dinner, 2 for $100, but no eats......and now a NEW SET, someone sometimes, quarrelsome but requiring only room and board....:rolleyes:

and the travel expenses, air fares, passports, Oy Vey!....such a deal!....:lol:

poor Woody.see what he has to put up with to creat vivacious CD covers....:lol:

WoodyWelch
04-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Actually the process wasn't too bad. The girls were told to bring their head shots of their choice to the art department in the Capitol Record's Building on Vine and then they were to pick out body poses from femme fatale photos from the fifties and sixties. Unfortunately nobody seemed to be aware of the inner workings of the human body so it fell to me to take the head shots and the photo references back to my workshop and somehow put them together in a way so that it looked NOT like their necks were broken. I was able to do this because I'm so scary talented (smell the sarcasm). I worked briefly and individually with each gal and then I was off to the easel. The only slight problem I had was with Gina, the skinny little drummer. She kept saying that I made her look fat. Well, SHE WAS THE ONE THAT PICKED A MAMIE VAN DOREN POSE FER GAWD'S SAKE!!!) (There are a eight million stories in THE NAKED CITY.....this....has been one of them) :cool:

WoodyWelch
04-03-2018, 09:44 PM
As far as NOW goes....I mostly do what I want and I mostly like using live models for the photo reference portion of my work....I pay them and they sign a release and I can then sell the stuff on the open market. I'm working on a large painting for sale using Jess as the main subject and she is coming back next weekend for some more posing, more filthy lucre, and more steak and lobster at The Smoke House next to Warner Bros. What can I say, it's Los Angeles...if it were Myrtle Beach, S. C. I'd probably be just an old dude mowing lawns. :D

talisman
04-03-2018, 10:20 PM
(There are a eight million stories in THE NAKED CITY.....this....has been one of them) :cool:

I like stories!
Sometimes the stuff behind the painting is as interesting as the painting.

Attalus
04-04-2018, 01:03 AM
. I worked briefly and individually with each gal and then I was off to the easel. The only slight problem I had was with Gina, the skinny little drummer. She kept saying that I made her look fat. Models always say I make them look fat. I just chalk it up to "female talk". Men who see them say things like, "Is she really that skinny?"
Uh, yeah, or I wouldn't be drawing and painting her. :rolleyes:

DaneelOlivaw
04-04-2018, 01:27 AM
Well, I finally came up with an idea! I didn't require the optional out - everything I do is naïve by definition!

I've had 440 succulent cuttings to plant out, so I dropped off for a couple of days - I had to say succulent, so I could get in on the 'voloptuous' and 'luscious' action you've all been getting on this forum.

I don't know why we've mentioned sins, looks like a fun time here! Count me in... gotta find my sexy corset...(brushes garden soil across sunburnt face).

I'm not letting my hubby read these posts, but he can help me look for the corset...:evil: :lol: :evil:

WoodyWelch
04-04-2018, 02:22 AM
Models always say I make them look fat. I just chalk it up to "female talk". Men who see them say things like, "Is she really that skinny?"
Uh, yeah, or I wouldn't be drawing and painting her. :rolleyes:

You're absolutely right! Point of view is everything. I did a VERY realistic portrait of Dita Von Teese for a DVD cover) and she was happy with it until a fellow model and friend of hers (Julie Strain) thought it wasn't ethereal enough or some such thing and they paid MORE money to have the artist Olivia do a portrait which I thought was cartoony, but I heard Dita liked it better. No problem. I got paid....but only a fraction of what they paid Olivia who was better known. :(

fedetony
04-04-2018, 05:50 AM
Great challenge... just no clue how to approach it to be honest...

Charlie's Mum
04-04-2018, 10:30 AM
I'll share a secret Fede - I don't know how I'm going to approach this yet!!!!!:eek:

Attalus
04-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Got preliminary sketch done. I'll transfer it to canvas today. Susie has hers almost done and it would pass for Envy, I think, but it's only part acrylics, rest is watercolor. Would that qualify?

talisman
04-04-2018, 01:12 PM
I have an idea for this.
However, I know I'm like a dog with a bone and I'll end up doing all seven.
Not for the Challenge but eventually.
Collect them all get the full set!

DaneelOlivaw
04-04-2018, 05:08 PM
I'm doing all seven in one painting... why stop at one sin, when you can do them all!

ColinS
04-04-2018, 11:04 PM
I'll share a secret Fede - I don't know how I'm going to approach this yet!!!!!:eek:

Well you had better figure it out because Blue has booked his ticket Newark to Gatwick and he's on his way to Old Blighty with nothing in his suitcase but a toothbrush. :lol:

This sounds like a fun challenge. Naive, but deadly. Reminds me of the movie Johnny English.

Attalus
04-05-2018, 01:19 AM
Ohkayy, in view of no contradiction, I am telling Suze she can post her pic as Envy. :clear:

Attalus
04-05-2018, 01:21 AM
I'm doing all seven in one painting... why stop at one sin, when you can do them all!Reminds me of a friend that boasted of breaking all ten commandments in one evening except for worshiping graven images. :clear:

ColinS
04-05-2018, 01:32 AM
Reminds me of a friend that boasted of breaking all ten commandments in one evening except for worshiping graven images. :clear:

Some people are such over-achievers.

I haven't broken more than 4 in my entire lifetime. I had better get busy. I shall covet my neighbour's Porsche starting tomorrow.

DaneelOlivaw
04-05-2018, 04:54 AM
Reminds me of a friend that boasted of breaking all ten commandments in one evening except for worshiping graven images. :clear:

Who's your friend? Sounds like fun! :evil:

Where did they hide the body?

Graven images always confused me... Christians of various stripes have statues of Jesus all over.

bluefish
04-05-2018, 07:11 AM
Maureen....since I only had my toothbrush, they allowed me a 'carry on'.....:clap: :lol:

Attalus
04-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Graven images always confused me... Christians of various stripes have statues of Jesus all over.Methodists (and Baptists, etc.) don't. Catholics, who do, say that they are "objects of devotion" like icons and that they do not worship them. Susie has a crucifix that she wears at all times "to keep Jesus in her heart."

fedetony
04-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Have someone noticed all links in the first post are broken?
... Ok, got an idea how to approach the challenge.... I'll start developing it ASAP... :) by the way, Naive art is not attractive aesthetically to me, which means "I would not like to hang it in my living room" kind of art....It will not work with my idea anyway, so I'll not develop my idea in a Naive way... :) see ya on the 21st ... :D
All sins in 1 day? how does lust work with sloth together? :lol:

Charlie's Mum
04-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Bill - Susie's painting needs to be mainly acrylic to qualify - say around 75% ...... of course, she could always post it in the Cafe for people to admire!:)

I'm afraid Blue's going to be very cold here with only his toothbrush!:lol: - thick ice this morning following yesterday's rain and snow! The road out of the village was flooded today - I hat having to drive through water like that!

Sloth is still attractive - maybe will add others if time permits - could be busy if flights weren't delayed!!!:evil: :evil:

Charlie's Mum
04-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Thanks Fede - I'll check the links - they were OK!

Charlie's Mum
04-05-2018, 12:44 PM
I've re-done all the links - don't know why they refused to cooperate!

Attalus
04-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Bill - Susie's painting needs to be mainly acrylic to qualify - say around 75% ...... of course, she could always post it in the Cafe for people to admire!:)

Okie Dokie. I'll tell her. I know all the background is watercolor, so only about 25% (the crayture itself) is acrylic. :(

bluefish
04-05-2018, 03:06 PM
"could be busy, if flights aren't delayed".......:evil: :evil:

you bet, with all that cold, icy weather,and only a tooth brush, you'll be making lots of 'pots of tea'....:lol: :smug:

Attalus
04-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Okay, got my Sin's outline done. Let it dry, do the background, and then the fun part. :D

talisman
04-06-2018, 08:49 AM
I'm going to start on mine tonight after work.

old_hobbyist
04-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Sloth? Ain't dem ona doz critters wot hangs wrong side up under dem tree branches?

https://pulptastic2-homamedialtd.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/sloth.jpg

https://media.mnn.com/assets/images/2017/01/Sloth-Hanging-Tree-Branch.jpg.638x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Dat's dem Jim!:lol:

Attalus
04-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Sloth? Ain't dem ona doz critters wot hangs wrong side up under dem tree branches?

I dink the craytures wuz named fur th' sin, rather dan de contrarywise. :angel:

bluefish
04-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Maureen...I got to hand it to you....you have finally gotten them to speak the 'your English!'.....:angel: .....just like 'colour' I don't understand them.....!:rolleyes:

old_hobbyist
04-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Betcha dint knowd dat da sloth kin git jes' 0.25 mile in da whole are. 'Bout as fast as us'n geezers kin git!

Fergot ta tell ya. Das fer da 2-toe critter. Da 3-toe caint git dat fast.

Attalus
04-06-2018, 01:10 PM
Betcha dint knowd dat da sloth's pace is jes' 0.25 mile in da whole hour. 'Bout as fast as us'n geezers kin go!But those of us who are devotees of the Aubrey/Maturin saga know that sloths can be made drunk on British Navy rum. :angel: "Jack, you have debauched my sloth!" - best line in the whole thing

Mayfly
04-06-2018, 10:53 PM
OK....so far covered this month:

1. Ideas for a Sin painting
2. Live models & Dinners and associated charges
3. The lusty voluptuous slender lucious model
4. Maureen the model
5. Bluefish gets hired
6. The Cold Icy Toothbrush Trip
7. Cake decorating
8. Succulents (Very cool)
9. Religion
10. The Sloth

Still up for grabs:

1. Body painting (acrylic)
2. The Cat
3. Framing
4. Gnats
5. Beverages
6. Pizza
7. Monty Python

:) Any additions? Cheers

ColinS
04-06-2018, 11:18 PM
Eclectic group with lots of free association.

And let's face it, with seven deadly sins, we have only barely begun to explore the possibilities. :lol:

Mayfly
04-06-2018, 11:28 PM
This is very true and I am absorbing like a sponge.

DaneelOlivaw
04-07-2018, 01:41 AM
But those of us who are devotees of the Aubrey/Maturin saga know that sloths can be made drunk on British Navy rum. :angel: "Jack, you have debauched my sloth!" - best line in the whole thing

I absolutely must read anything which contains this line... I suspect much entertainment to be found, therein!

DaneelOlivaw
04-07-2018, 01:55 AM
OK....so far covered this month:

4. Maureen the model
5. Bluefish gets hired
7. Cake decorating
9. Religion
10. The Sloth

Still up for grabs:

1. Body painting (acrylic)
2. The Cat
3. Framing
4. Gnats
5. Beverages
6. Pizza
7. Monty Python

:) Any additions? Cheers

In the 'still up for grabs' list, I'll take

Monty Python
Gnats
Beverages
Pizza

In that order...

The Life of Brian, AND The Holy Grail seem apropos...
Which species of gnat?
Any and all beverages welcome, especially those containing sloe gin
Pizza needs no foreplay, when you want something 'special', go calzone.

Succulents are my thing - require complete and benign neglect, and look amazing at all times. I should try to be like them.

talisman
04-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Mayfly Funny!
We do get a bit far from the subject at hand but we do have fun!
Monty Python when "The Life of Brian" came out my fiends and I all went to see it at the Cooper (best movie theater in Denver), one of the best nights of my life, hilarious, and our friend Russel was imitating everything on the way home, a scream!
I think there were about 11 of us piled into a big old Impala.

Cats....just about anything on the internet!:lol:

Daneel love your thoughts on succulents!

LavenderFrost
04-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Maureen...I got to hand it to you....you have finally gotten them to speak the 'your English!'.....:angel: .....just like 'colour' I don't understand them.....!:rolleyes:

That's not Maureen's English. :lol: They sound more like Mater.

bluefish
04-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Mater?......here we go again.....is that like 'Mater and Pater'????:confused: :lol: :wave:

Attalus
04-07-2018, 10:49 AM
I absolutely must read anything which contains this line... I suspect much entertainment to be found, therein!Start with Master and Commander. It masterfully introduces both protagonists. https://www.amazon.com/Master-Commander-Patrick-OBrian/dp/0393307050

I assure you, you will never regret it! :)

Mayfly
04-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Which species of gnat?

Lets start with the Black Fungus Gnat - in the in the Dipterid species suborder Nematocera, especially those in the families Mycetophilidae, Anisopodidae and Sciaridae. Cute aint it :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2018/74021-220px-Female_black_fungus_gnat.jpg

DaneelOlivaw
04-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Lets start with the Black Fungus Gnat - in the in the Dipterid species suborder Nematocera, especially those in the families Mycetophilidae, Anisopodidae and Sciaridae. Cute aint it :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2018/74021-220px-Female_black_fungus_gnat.jpg

Ah! The bane of houseplants and mushroom growers, everywhere... little sods... I hate slaying things, especially by the gross, but sticky yellow paper gets them every time! There are roughly 3000 distinct forms known so far... the world belongs to the insects, if only we knew it!

I'll see your fungus gnat and raise you a no-see-um
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2018/2008515-noseeumphoto.jpg

Also broadly Nematocera, see pic for specifics

Gosh, that was satisfying - almost as much as a sin or two :lol:

DaneelOlivaw
04-07-2018, 03:32 PM
Start with Master and Commander. It masterfully introduces both protagonists. https://www.amazon.com/Master-Commander-Patrick-OBrian/dp/0393307050

I assure you, you will never regret it! :)

Done and done! I'll delve asap.

DaneelOlivaw
04-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Mayfly Funny!
We do get a bit far from the subject at hand but we do have fun!
Monty Python when "The Life of Brian" came out my fiends and I all went to see it at the Cooper (best movie theater in Denver), one of the best nights of my life, hilarious, and our friend Russel was imitating everything on the way home, a scream!
I think there were about 11 of us piled into a big old Impala.

Cats....just about anything on the internet!:lol:

Daneel love your thoughts on succulents!

Your fiends? Freudian slip? Well, sinning is the subject. Is it sinful to love Monty Python? Probably...

I dare not speak about cats - Our feline overlords wouldn't like it.

To this day 'Follow the sandal! Follow the gourd!' is gleefully shouted in our house - you'd be amazed at how many situations this phrase is useful for - especially when reading the news! Entertainment news, political news, scientific news... and for immediate social purposes.

Quotes from The Holy Grail in regular use are, 'Brave Sir Robin, ran away, he ran away, he ran away' sung to the horse clop accompaniment, And 'We are the knights who say "ni" - we want... A SHRUBBERY!'

Charlie's Mum
04-07-2018, 03:55 PM
How did we get here?
You do realise I should wipe the majority of this thread, send you all to ...... somewhere across the Styx and get a red devil, plus whip, to bring you all back to ...... THE TOPIC!!!!!:lol::lol:
Daneel ... it's not sloe gin, it's sloth gin cos imbibing makes you so sleepy and indolent, it actually removes all the other sins cos they require a certain amount of energy!!
Also, I can't paint sloth as I'm identifying with it too much ..:lol: ...... I'll put the wine back in the fridge!;)

Carl, don't think I'm in any fit state to model for anything but I do appreciate your listing of the facts!!!

bluefish
04-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Ah Maureen....you sound like a 'school marm'.....:lol:

we have 'no see em's ' at the beach in the summer.....they bite you in the evening but you can't see em....:lol: :thumbsup: :wave:

WoodyWelch
04-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Sometimes I wish I were a fly on the wall.......temporarily, that is.

Mayfly
04-07-2018, 04:56 PM
Yes, those no-see-um's are a Fly Fisherman's worst nightmare......and for the record a MayFly (eh em) is not a gnat (thankfully) and a trouts delight.

Oh Maureen do I sense fury......hey that is on topic...well done and get the wine back out!!!!

"We are the knights who say "ni" - we want... A SHRUBBERY!" :clap:

Mayfly
04-07-2018, 04:59 PM
Woody - good gracious - that is hilariously funny!!!

Attalus
04-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Sometimes I wish I were a fly on the wall.......temporarily, that is.Scene: Victoria's Secret models' dressing room
Venue: the next big catalog fashion show.
Adriana Lima: "Elsa, what is that big fly that just flew in?"
Elsa Hosk: "I dun't know, dolling, but it sure is persistent
Allessanda Ambrosiano: "And it keeps trying to light on my...never mind, it has gone over to Stella's dressing table."
Stella Maxwell: ""EEK! I think it bit me!" :clear:

Mayfly
04-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Good one Attalus....

So it just dawned on me..and how appropriate..from the show Monty Python's Flying Circus and even some of the movies, the animations are very close to and if not similar to the Naive Style and with sin to boot!!! Watch a few.

We are now back on topic, Maureen:thumbsup: Cheers

WoodyWelch
04-07-2018, 06:12 PM
Scene: Victoria's Secret models' dressing room
Allessanda Ambrosiano: "And it keeps trying to light on my...never mind, it has gone over to Stella's dressing table."

:lol::lol::lol:

DaneelOlivaw
04-07-2018, 06:36 PM
How did we get here?
You do realise I should wipe the majority of this thread, send you all to ...... somewhere across the Styx and get a red devil, plus whip, to bring you all back to ...... THE TOPIC!!!!!:lol::lol:
Daneel ... it's not sloe gin, it's sloth gin cos imbibing makes you so sleepy and indolent, it actually removes all the other sins cos they require a certain amount of energy!!
Also, I can't paint sloth as I'm identifying with it too much ..:lol: ...... I'll put the wine back in the fridge!;)

Carl, don't think I'm in any fit state to model for anything but I do appreciate your listing of the facts!!!

What do you mean "How did we get here?". You started it all... :lol: Did you expect anything else?

I can dance all night on sloe gin - only beers, wines and ciders make me sleepy. I'm dynamite when I'm exceedingly filled with the spirit.

Can't you model for 'Queen of the Acrylics Forum'?

I'd like to visit the Styx - I'm sure Charon would appreciate it if someone brought a bottle of sloe gin - someone not dead.

I promise to go back to topic now. (Hangs head)

DaneelOlivaw
04-07-2018, 06:44 PM

Tee hee! :lol:

SusietheModel
04-07-2018, 07:45 PM
Stella Maxwell: ""EEK! I think it bit me!" :clear:Yep, that's my bf, the laugh riot. :rolleyes: You were imagining yourself doing it, weren't you?

talisman
04-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Your fiends? Freudian slip? Well, sinning is the subject. Is it sinful to love Monty Python? Probably...

Well I think it was a typo....or was it?
Now, I'm not even sure myself.:clear:

Attalus
04-07-2018, 09:36 PM
Yep, that's my bf, the laugh riot. :rolleyes: You were imagining yourself doing it, weren't you?They say to write about something you know about, right? :angel:

bluefish
04-08-2018, 07:14 AM
you bit "Stella Maxwell" ?.....wow Bill, we all look up to you now!:thumbsup: :lol: :evil:

Charlie's Mum
04-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Bill's lost me with his ref to Vicky's Secret Dressing Room:( but I'm sure there's some kind of sin there!!
Sloth left me today so I'll need to experience a different sin .... gluttony perhaps, the choc in the goody cupboard is very tempting!

The wine got opened again tonight .... it's a very nice Chardonnay, and well deserved after mowing the lawn!

Attalus
04-08-2018, 09:27 PM
you bit "Stella Maxwell" ?.....wow Bill, we all look up to you now! :angel: No, but I *have* have bitten a few girls here and there who are probably nicer than Stella.

Attalus
04-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Bill's lost me with his ref to Vicky's Secret Dressing Room:( but I'm sure there's some kind of sin there!!
I suspect Pride is far outranking Lust and especially Gluttony there. Maybe some Wrath. Envy, and Greed following the Big P. :angel:

bluefish
04-09-2018, 06:38 AM
correction....Maureen, that is Victoria's Secret dressing room, not Vicky's.....it's a large chain of stores, over here, that the ladies go to purchase 'unmentionables' when they want to creat "lust"!.....would make a good 'challenge painting'.....:wink2: :wave:

LavenderFrost
04-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Miss a day...

Seriously blue? Cars has been around for how many years? And you don't know who Mater is? You need some children in your life. You need that experience of having a Disney movie on autoplay all day for a week or two.

Witnessed some gluttony yesterday, friends invited us over for ribs. The husband sits down with his second full plate of food and says he's full and then continues to eat. :rolleyes: And yes, he's quite large.

fedetony
04-09-2018, 11:52 AM
Miss a day...

Seriously blue? Cars has been around for how many years? And you don't know who Mater is? You need some children in your life. You need that experience of having a Disney movie on autoplay all day for a week or two.

Witnessed some gluttony yesterday, friends invited us over for ribs. The husband sits down with his second full plate of food and says he's full and then continues to eat. :rolleyes: And yes, he's quite large.

Hope you did a quick sketch in the napkin to remember the details.... :D

I believe I've seen the cars 2 movie 120 times just the past month and also in 4 different languages (Spanish, English, German and Greek). The part 1 the month before, some 60 times too, just in Greek... :lol: .. and there is also the Mater series too (which is really fun)... Now, he repeats every episode of paw patrol is different languages also...

Attalus
04-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Witnessed some gluttony yesterday, friends invited us over for ribs. The husband sits down with his second full plate of food and says he's full and then continues to eat. :rolleyes: And yes, he's quite large.Yep, that's gluttony. or "Gule, the grossest of all sins," if you believe Stephen Maturin. Of course, he is talking about Jack Aubrey eating duck, IIRC. He was mad at Jack at the time, which often happened. Hmmm, that would make a great "Sin Painting."

But I like C.S. Lewis' variant on that, the finicky, slender woman who just wants "a teeny piece of toast, perfectly done," and sends the poor waitress back to the kitchen twice. "Making a god of your stomach" works many ways. :clear:

Charlie's Mum
04-09-2018, 01:04 PM

This is what got me lost Blue - I've heard of Victoria's Secret before but these names just baffled me!:lol:

Ah well, dinner's calling...... salad is hardly likely to contribute to Gluttony - is it?:lol:

bluefish
04-09-2018, 01:23 PM
Maureen.....welcome to the "????? Cars" generation!....I think we are a team on this one....:lol: :wave:

Attalus
04-09-2018, 05:12 PM
This is what got me lost Blue - I've heard of Victoria's Secret before but these names just baffled me!:lol:

Ah well, dinner's calling...... salad is hardly likely to contribute to Gluttony - is it?:lol:Click http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/11/17/victorias-secret-fashion-show-models-and-performers.html and all will be revealed. :angel:

Charlie's Mum
04-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Maureen.....welcome to the "????? Cars" generation!....I think we are a team on this one....:lol: :wave:

That's OK then!:D

ColinS
04-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Well there are gong to be some interesting paintings this month!

I started a sketch for mine. Hopefully I can push through and produce something.

Michelle I am an expert on Disney movies up until Finding Nemo and then my kids got too old for "cartoons" and we stopped seeing them. So we missed "Cars".

LavenderFrost
04-10-2018, 10:07 AM
How do you get too old for cartoons? lol We just watched Cars 3, it was pretty exciting at times. A lot of these animated movies can appeal to all ages.

I guess I'm lucky we didn't have to watch them in different languages. :lol: Also lucky I had a boy. Didn't mind watching Cars 1 and 2 and Planes over and over. We only watched Frozen once.

These days he mostly watches gamers on YouTube. The downside to that is he wants to play all the games he sees and some aren't free.

bluefish
04-10-2018, 10:39 AM
wow Maureen......did you hear that?.......they have 'talkies' in the movies now and no more black and white, they colorize them...:lol: :lol: :lol: :wave:

Attalus
04-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Last cartoon movie I saw was "Wall-E". Then my younger boy got too old for cartoon movies and started playing "Minecraft." :(

Charlie's Mum
04-10-2018, 03:46 PM
Long time since I went to the pictures (movies to you!) .... occasionally watch a film on tv, but never cartoons now ..... used to love Tom and Jerry!!!

Attalus
04-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Long time since I went to the pictures (movies to you!) .... occasionally watch a film on tv, but never cartoons now ..... used to love Tom and Jerry!!!I read a British horror story about...well, never mind. But the teenaged hoodlums in it called the movies "the flicker." We watch movies on TV, too, usually either old standards I have on DVD or Netflix streaming. Watched "The Force Returns" on the latter Saturday night, though we had to pay a premium fee to see it. Susie wants to watch "The Last Jedi," again, but I told her, fine, as long as I am in another room or out. Once was enough.

talisman
04-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Cartoons and Movies are good for children of all ages....I still watch them, not on constant loop like children do but once in a while is still fun.

ColinS
04-10-2018, 09:20 PM
The last one we watched was Wall-E. It was an outlier and even the "boys" enjoyed it.

Definitely worth watching.

In the day we watched Lion King, Aladdin, Shrek, Mulan, Emperor's New Groove, and Ice Age again and again and again. I think I can quote them verbatim in my sleep.

ColinS
04-10-2018, 10:05 PM
Seven Deadly Sins in Disney Movies?

Pride - Emperor's New Groove
Greed - Aladdin
Gluttony - Beauty and the Beast - there seemed to be a lot of eating and singing about eating going on.
Lust - Hunchback of Notre Dame, Aladdin, Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Envy - The Lion King
Sloth - Emperor's New Groove
Anger - The Little Mermaid - Ursula the Seawitch got really angry as I recall, Pocahontas

Mayfly
04-10-2018, 10:54 PM
Hi - I am so sorry Maureen. I really tried to get us back on track, even listed topics and look what happened. Do I get any teacher points still?:smug:

Anyway, what the heck, ColinS started this one, so expanding:

Pride - What About Bob
Greed - Wall Street
Gluttony - Babette's Feast
Lust - Mama Mia
Envy - Amadeus
Sloth - Ice Age
Anger - Anger Management

Attalus
04-11-2018, 01:52 AM
Hi - I am so sorry Maureen. I really tried to get us back on track, even listed topics and look what happened. Do I get any teacher points still?:smug:

Anyway, what the heck, ColinS started this one, so expanding:

Pride - What About Bob
Greed - Wall Street
Gluttony - Babette's Feast
Lust - Mama Mia
Envy - Amadeus
Sloth - Ice Age
Anger - Anger Management
I would say that the best movie about Pride was Groundhog Day. Greed would be Primary Colors. Gluttony Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe. Lust would be The Silence of the Lambs. Anger, The Godfather, Part One. I can't beat you on Envy. :wave:

Charlie's Mum
04-11-2018, 06:32 AM
Carl.... you get Brownie points for trying!!!:lol: .... some people are impossible to keep in line!;)

Colin ... you forgot Cindarella for Envy.

I wish I could remember title and author, but I read a novel where each of the murder victims was killed according to one of the sins .... so Gluttonly, the victim was force-fed to bursting point .. :eek:. anyone read it?

WoodyWelch
04-11-2018, 08:43 AM
No, but that sounds like the movie SEVEN.

bluefish
04-11-2018, 09:06 AM
"the victum was force-fed to bursting point"......that sounds like "MEIN KAMPF".....:(

LavenderFrost
04-11-2018, 10:06 AM
I saw that movie.

I just watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, that probably covered them all.

talisman
04-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Seven was twisted.
I think my favorite one that was Pride (Vanity).

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is it good?
I don't like too scary, what about that?

LavenderFrost
04-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Though I lost my taste for horror I could not resist buying the book, so then I also couldn't resist watching the movie. Quite gory at times. You might prefer reading it, the movie did skip some stuff. The only thing I didn't like about the book is he added some rather coarse language and the best part of Austin novels is the hidden insults.

I find a movie like Seven scarier than zombies. You can tell yourself monsters don't exist, but the human ones do.

Charlie's Mum
04-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is it good? - is that one book?.... or are you talking about Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice? .... that's good - most of her works are.:)

Attalus
04-12-2018, 01:40 PM
- is that one book?.... or are you talking about Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice? .... that's good - most of her works are.:)I think Pride and Prejudice
is one of the greatest novels in the English language. Along with Huckleberry Finn, Moby Dick, Bleak House and The Grapes of Wrath. IMO, of course. :angel:

talisman
04-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Yes it is a book (Movie too)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
By Seth Grahame-Smith and "Jane Austen"
But I have not read the book or watched the movie.

I agree with Michelle the scariest monster is the one that might exist...maybe even next door.
"He was a quiet neighbor always kept to himself."

ColinS
04-12-2018, 09:08 PM
I have read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It is quite funny. I haven't seen the movie.

I agree that Pride and Prejudice is a classic. Jane Austen had a keen eye for the world around her. The older I get the more important I think her few books were.

DaneelOlivaw
04-13-2018, 12:45 AM
Love Austen, but if you want a good solid novel with all of the sins, a love story, tragedy, etc. you can't go past Charlotte Bronte's 'Villette'. Also craps on her sibling's' outputs.
Craps on Pride and Prejudice, though I love that too. Villette is both less, and more, of a comedy, but much more clever, gutsier, with a Heroine that you can freely dislike as much as like.
Go on - do it.

Attalus
04-13-2018, 09:33 PM
Love Austen, but if you want a good solid novel with all of the sins, a love story, tragedy, etc. you can't go past Charlotte Bronte's 'Villette'. Also craps on her sibling's' outputs.
Craps on Pride and Prejudice, though I love that too. Villette is both less, and more, of a comedy, but much more clever, gutsier, with a Heroine that you can freely dislike as much as like.
Go on - do it.Sort of like Becky Sharp in Vanity Fair? Very well, I'll read it if you read Master and Commander. Though I warn you, I loathed Wuthering Heights, and I don't personally know a man who has read it that doesn't.
:clear:

Mayfly
04-14-2018, 10:17 PM
Sin....

A minister told his congregation, "Next week I plan to preach about the sin of lying. To help you understand my sermon, I want you all to read Mark 17."

The following Sunday, as he prepared to deliver his sermon, the minister asked for a show of hands. He wanted to know how many had read Mark 17.

Every hand went up.

The minister smiled and said, "Mark has only sixteen chapters. I will now proceed with my sermon on the sin of lying."

Cheers

DaneelOlivaw
04-14-2018, 10:38 PM
Sort of like Becky Sharp in Vanity Fair? Very well, I'll read it if you read Master and Commander. Though I warn you, I loathed Wuthering Heights, and I don't personally know a man who has read it that doesn't.
:clear:

I'm about to start Master and Commander... No NOT like Becky Sharp... This girl is 'holier than thou', all over the place... Also foolish, courageous, dimwitted, fiery when stirred up, and altogether the original love/hate heroine. Becky's good but not complicated - Lucy Snowe is a can of worms - she's much more insidious than Becky.
I was hooked because I absolutely loathed her, whilst totally sympathizing with her motivations and point of view.

I didn't like Wuthering Heights... I despise twee romantic claptrap in both books and movies - this one I liked. No sentimental simpering, except from some of the characters, whom we thoroughly despise.

For the record, my husband did like 'Wutherland High', however he's MUCH more sentimental than I. He's Welsh, though, and they are a sentimental people.

LavenderFrost
04-15-2018, 08:59 AM
I like Wuthering Heights, just not sure why lol. In high school our teacher gave us a choice of reading Lord of the Flies or Wuthering Heights. Six of us chose WH and I did not regret it.

talisman
04-15-2018, 10:25 AM
I like Wuthering Heights, just not sure why lol. In high school our teacher gave us a choice of reading Lord of the Flies or Wuthering Heights. Six of us chose WH and I did not regret it.
I don't think we got a choice ....even so I still would have picked Lord of the Flies.
I was a nerd girl with glasses and I was very upset when they first stole, then broke Piggies glasses.
That and The Twilight Zone with Burgess Meredith "Time enough at last", heartbreaking and horrifying to those that need their glasses!

Mayfly
04-15-2018, 11:27 AM
The Twilight Zone with Burgess Meredith "Time enough at last", heartbreaking and horrifying to those that need their glasses!

A classic Twilight Zone show and a brilliant series.:clap:

Charlie's Mum
04-15-2018, 02:20 PM
Has anyone actually put paint on brush on surface yet?
Just askin' !

I'd better get crackin'!

talisman
04-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Yes, I have three paintings about halfway done or more.
I'm doing the three sins I'm most susceptible to and or exhibit sometimes.
So, it's Lust, Wrath and Envy.

Attalus
04-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Just askin' !

I'd better get crackin'!Oh, yeah, mine is done, scanned, and cropped. All itchin' to post. :clap:

WoodyWelch
04-15-2018, 09:15 PM
My acrylic challenge for this month is finished. LUST. I was itching to post it too....a little ointment fixed that. :lol: It is a little extreme even for me so it might have a few reaching for their Digitalis.:rolleyes:

To get the best bang for my buck, I'll post it on the open Acrylic forum sometime AFTER I post it on the challenge thread.

You've been warned:cool:

Attalus
04-15-2018, 11:21 PM
My acrylic challenge for this month is finished. LUST. I was itching to post it too....a little ointment fixed that. :lol: It is a little extreme even for me so it might have a few reaching for their Digitalis.:rolleyes:

To get the best bang for my buck, I'll post it on the open Acrylic forum sometime AFTER I post it on the challenge thread.

You've been warned:cool:Gee, I am so surprised. :angel: Can't wait. :wink2:

DaneelOlivaw
04-16-2018, 06:21 AM
Just askin' !

I'd better get crackin'!

I have started. However struggling to find time to complete it.

Sorting hubby's tax with the accountant, planting the new garden, moving cubic yards of stone by shovel and barrow for said garden, reading things that Attalus recommends, painting birdbaths, painting a coral reef with octopus, moray eels and house number onto our recycle bin, doing Harry Potter paintings and making Wands for next door's party at the end of the month - which party was moved - long story, pouring rubber base for bin enclosure, concreting my garden sculpture into the yard, making succulent bowls, bought 'The Sea Chart' by John Blake - I was wanting to buy it, and well, blame Attalus for giving me a VERY tenuous reason - adjunct to reading Master and Commander. Thank you Attalus - if I'd died without reading this series, I'd have come back to life so I could - or at least haunted a library with it in! So, drinking those lovely books in, still going with quantum mechanics by Susskind. Cooking, washing, ironing.

I'll be surprised if I get done, but I'm having trouble with sloth... don't know what it means.

No one has debauched my sloth; I haven't got any.

LavenderFrost
04-16-2018, 10:36 AM
:eek: How is it even possible to be doing all that Daneel? I envy your energy. I think I'll be doing sloth... by not doing anything.

Charlie's Mum
04-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Yawn ........... me too .... zzzzzzzz ..........
but .........
I guess I'll have to stir myself just cos it was my idea - darn it!

Attalus
04-16-2018, 12:50 PM
That's because you're a woman :p

Okay, Daneel, I just ordered Vilette. You make it sound kinda like Emma or Northanger Abbey, which I liked (It's just not Emma).

:angel:

Attalus
04-16-2018, 01:08 PM
I was wanting to buy it, and well, blame Attalus for giving me a VERY tenuous reason - adjunct to reading Master and Commander. Thank you Attalus - if I'd died without reading this series, I'd have come back to life so I could - or at least haunted a library with it in! So, drinking those lovely books in, still going with quantum mechanics by Susskind. Cooking, washing, ironing.
You are welcome. A friend of mine whose taste in reading I respect turned me on to them, and I have never thanked him adequately. I must have gone through the saga five times at least. :)

DaneelOlivaw
04-16-2018, 06:06 PM
You are welcome. A friend of mine whose taste in reading I respect turned me on to them, and I have never thanked him adequately. I must have gone through the saga five times at least. :)

The problem now is, that it will cost me $250 AUD to buy the set.. I've got the ebook of Master and Commander for under $5. Do you know how much paint that buys?

Thank You, though!

I'll have to bite the bullet, or perhaps have it put or my Christmas list. Oh My Gawd... the sin of avarice strikes!

DaneelOlivaw
04-16-2018, 06:55 PM
:eek: How is it even possible to be doing all that Daneel? I envy your energy. I think I'll be doing sloth... by not doing anything.

What is this... possible? Just doin' what's necessary. :lol: For someone who does nothing, I'm awfully freakin' busy all the time. And I have no kids! I think I'd just drop dead of exhaustion if I did...

The problem is I haven't any energy - still recovering from the last bout of pneumonia. 3pm, I'm DONE. And still so much to do, but the flippin' elves around here, just do NOTHING. Little sods.

Mayfly
04-16-2018, 10:20 PM
...... but the flippin' elves around here, just do NOTHING. Little sods.

Oh I feel and really relate to your flippin' Elf pain..... :(

Attalus
04-17-2018, 01:34 AM
The problem now is, that it will cost me $250 AUD to buy the set.. I've got the ebook of Master and Commander for under $5. Do you know how much paint that buys?

Thank You, though!

I'll have to bite the bullet, or perhaps have it put or my Christmas list. Oh My Gawd... the sin of avarice strikes!Okay I looked up the 5-volume complete set that I have *cuddles*. It cost me like $150 new, but I see that the price has gone up. :( But you can get it used for $106.28 US :)

Attalus
04-17-2018, 01:36 AM
... but the flippin' elves around here, just do NOTHING. Little sods. I only have one "elf," but she manages to get everything done and run 50+ miles a week. Dang energetic females :clap:

bluefish
04-17-2018, 06:59 AM
you could paint a picture of 'Susie' and entitle it "Envy".....this month's challenge...:lol: :wave:

LavenderFrost
04-17-2018, 10:08 AM
Well Maureen, people have hosted in the past without actually taking part, so you wouldn't be the only one. But knowing you, you'll get something done the day before reveal.

Attalus
04-17-2018, 12:34 PM
you could paint a picture of 'Susie' and entitle it "Envy".....this month's challenge...:lol: :wave:Susie already calls our front room "The Susie S. Gallery." When one of her parents come over she tapes a bikini on a reclined nude I have done of her in watercolor. Anyhoo, I have my entry done, and it ain't "Envy." :p

bluefish
04-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Maureen..there's a great idea.....if anyone visits, you just tape a bikini on the portrait....:angel: :smug: :wave:

Attalus
04-17-2018, 01:56 PM
Heh, she used to do sticky notes, but they flew off one time and she had to endure some kidding from her father and his wife. Now she uses Scotch Tape and has to clean the goo off the glass afterwards with adhesive remover. Fortunately, she keeps the stuff in her purse, being a GYN surgeon's assistant.:lol:

Charlie's Mum
04-18-2018, 04:09 PM
Maybe you should move that nude to the bedroom then Susie wouldn't need to cover it for visitors!:lol:

Hopefully, I'll manage to do something Friday afternoon or Saturday - cutting it fine!

talisman
04-18-2018, 07:36 PM
Done!
Now I just need to let them sit overnight and make sure I really am done.
Then photograph them.
Great Challenge I enjoyed it!

Attalus
04-18-2018, 11:32 PM
Maybe you should move that nude to the bedroom then Susie wouldn't need to cover it for visitors!:lol:

I like it where it is. She fusses about it so :angel:

old_hobbyist
04-19-2018, 12:10 AM
Years ago at the Chicago 60th street art show, I was selling a 30 x 40 in pen-and-ink with several nudes (M&F) in it. One of the JUDGES pasted little round neon orange stickers on all the naughty bits! It got a lot of laughs but no ribbons.

Margaretta
04-20-2018, 09:54 AM
I've been away for a while and come back to discussions on elves and nudes!!?? Can't see the connection at all; cherubs and nudes, yes! But elves...do they do the housework so that the model can prance about in the nude? Neon orange stickers on the naughty bits? I would have thought fig leaves....:eek: What a whacky world I'm in here!:clear:
Anyway, bitten off more than I can chew so have to work very hard to complete my painting..... before the end of the month. Sloth is probably my current deadly sin....:angel: :cat:

bluefish
04-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Maureen.....how's your supply of 'neon orange stickers' :confused: :lol:

Attalus
04-20-2018, 01:35 PM
Hey, I have done a couple of nude elves from my imagination and poses I saved.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2018/1992124-At_the_End_of_the_Day.JPG

Just got my laugh of the day. Perky girl on spam phone call about my "Federal Student Loans." Paid off my student loans in the 80s, and none of them were "Federal," honey. I called S. and asked if the call might have been for her.
"Certainly not. My Daddy paid for my college." :lol:

Charlie's Mum
04-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Blue - I shall make a supply ready tonight - knowing our friends here, I'll need them!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I promise I have tried today - got a board gessoed (does that count?) - keep getting stopped!
And now I must make something to eat before I waste away!!!!!!

bluefish
04-20-2018, 02:22 PM
O'boy!....that's great news about the 'neon orange stickers'...now I can re-pack my toothbrush!.....:smug: :lol: :wave:

Attalus
04-20-2018, 04:09 PM
Okay, back from my walk, really gorgeous day. Get moving on my next sketch pose, before the current Challenge hits.

Mayfly
04-20-2018, 11:01 PM
Wow what a month....Topic Update:

4. Maureen the model
5. Bluefish gets hired
7. Cake decorating
9. Religion
10. The Sloth
11. Books
12. Movies
13. A few "get back to work" pep talk motivational moments from Host
13. Nudes
14. Elves
15. Elves and nudes
16. Neon Orange stickers and the parts
17. The Neon Orange stickers and the toothbrush trip
18. Gnats

Upcoming:
1. The Paintings :clap:
Cheers

Attalus
04-21-2018, 01:22 AM
Okay, this is my naive painting of a Cardinal Sin: the biggie, Pride. Acrylics on 10 x 10" canvas. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2018/1992124-Pride.JPG

DaneelOlivaw
04-21-2018, 05:30 AM
Okay, this is my naive painting of a Cardinal Sin: the biggie, Pride. Acrylics on 10 x 10" canvas.

Hang on there, hold fire... he's an old school Roman, right?

That, my friend, is a picture of ALL the sins. And probably breaking all the commandments, too, except they're not his commandments. He's an officer, so probably belonging to the Mithraic cult.

Unless he's a film extra... Oh, wait....

Well done, I love it!

WoodyWelch
04-21-2018, 06:16 AM
LUST - This was rather straightforward and easy but for the dragon design which I put in there because my model is of Japanese decent and I had the idea of doing something simple (for the naive aspect) like a Japanese painting design of a dragon which is simplistic and flat so I found one....problem was, I couldn't for the life of me keep my acrylics within the lines that I had drawn. It drove me crazy so I used digital white to go in there and delicately clean the beastie up. It took almost as long to do that as it took to do the rest of the painting. Almost. (It's 16 x 20 on card stock, Gessoed first). I guess when all is said and done, I'm one of the ones that took advantage of the option to basically not do the naive effect and just paint like I usually do. (Hey....could that be the sin of...PRIDE???? This could be a two fer....) :D

talisman
04-21-2018, 06:40 AM
I did the three sins I have the most weakness for or sometimes exhibit, that would be Lust, Envy and Wrath.

Charlie's Mum
04-21-2018, 06:43 AM
Carl - so glad you kept track of this thread!!!!!!!! thank you!;)

Bill - that you lording it over us all hmmm? - :lol: ... y'know what they say about Pride?!!!!! ........ any pitfalls we can't see there?
Thank you for all your contributions!!:D

Woody - what can I say but WOW! Really?:lol: Of course, we did anticipate ..............!:angel: That dragon id beautifully drawn.
Thanks for joining us though - and even trying the 'naive' bit too!;)

Dianna - golly gosh - THREE!!! You even ADMIT to 3 sins - brave lass!:lol:
Love these interpretations though - subtle and beautifully painted. Thank you!

atm, I'm admitting nothing but Slothfulness in the region of the studio!:lol:

talisman
04-21-2018, 07:10 AM
Bill - Pride, he looks like he is having fun in the race, pride in his triumph!

Woody - You tricked me, I thought for sure you were going to do a Brazen Buxom Beauty for your lust. So I wanted to do a Sultry Slender Seductress for mine. Then you went for a more slender model this time.
Really super cool, interesting take on this and I love the dragon also!

WoodyWelch
04-21-2018, 08:33 AM
I love the face on your ENVY Dianna....and the cape on the WRATH. All of your femme fatales have red hair....hmmmmmmm :rolleyes: I'm a sucker for red heads....:heart:

WoodyWelch
04-21-2018, 08:39 AM
And thanks for liking the dragon, Dianna....it was murder!!!!:smug:

Sweeets
04-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Hello Everyone -- The first one below I painted for this exercise. It is 12 inches by 14 inches on watercolor paper and it represents "WRATH".

The second painting is one I had done a long time ago, but it seemed more like the naïf style and it covered two of the sins, so I'm posting it as well. The rooster has "PRIDE" and the hens are watching him with "ENVY".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2018/47564-2018-4B_Wrath_Painting_resized.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2018/47564-Rooster_and_Hens.jpg

Attalus
04-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Dianna, great ambition to do THREE. Got to agree with Woody that Envy's expression is great and memorable, adn the flare on Wrath's cape extra dramatic.
Woody, interesting concept, great figure mode, and cool dragon.

Attalus
04-21-2018, 12:44 PM
@Sweeets. Nature's wrath, eh. Nicely done. Cockerels are the essence of Pride, and I would suggest Lust on the part of the hens. :)

Attalus
04-21-2018, 12:53 PM
@Daneel: I dunno, the first thing I thought of when I thought of Pride, was Plautus' Miles Gloriosus, especially Leon Greene's portrayal of him in "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum." That image stuck with me and popped out onto my sketch pad. He certainly exhibits Lust, Envy, Wrath, and Greed in the play AND the movie. No Sloth that I could see, though.

Charlie's Mum
04-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Carol - so good to have you join us again:)
Wrath is a good interpretation - and with recent weather patterns, maybe we're seeing the Wrath for real!
The Nature scene of pride and Lust (!) is so well painted too - glad you included it .. thanks for joining us this month.:)

What prodigious talent shown so far - and more to be added no doubt!:lol:

old_hobbyist
04-21-2018, 01:43 PM
NAIVE GLUTTONY, 9 X 12 on canvas panel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2018/214919-naive_gluttony_ptg.jpg

My fave artist is Georg Grosz. His images of fat German businessmen reflected his time ('20s) but true even today.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2018/214919-Georg_Grosz_glutton_image.jpg

Attalus
04-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Old Hobbyist, great porcine glutton. Love Grolz's cartoons.

ColinS
04-21-2018, 03:47 PM
I have deliberately not looked at anyone's contributions yet, as I wanted to finish my own without being influenced (or daunted) by what others have come up with.

Taking the Naive Style for a spin, here is mine, on 24 x 30 canvasboard, set in rural 1880s Canada, I have called it The Seven Deadlies.

The little Ontario Gothic town looks so charming but it is a veritable cesspit of sin.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2018/1183569-DSCN5607.jpg

I have taken some close ups of the Deadlies:

Pride & Envy:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2018/1183569-DSCN5608.jpg

Sloth & Greed:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2018/1183569-DSCN5609.jpg

Gluttony & Lust:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2018/1183569-DSCN5610.jpg

Wrath:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2018/1183569-DSCN5611.jpg

Attalus
04-21-2018, 06:05 PM
Nice, Colin. Alas, whether in Ontario or Tierra del Fuego, human nature remains the same.

talisman
04-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Carol- Wonderful Nature inspired sins. The Lightning is very powerful, works well for Wrath and the Pride one is worth crowing about!

Old Hobbyist-Gluttony for sure!
Sort of creepy too.
I like the blues and yellows really make it more dramatic.

ColinS - Well done on the Bonus points for "Native Style" .
I like all the details and the closeups of the action and interactions of all the people!

Mayfly
04-21-2018, 09:34 PM
Hi

Attalus - love the Roman's expression and nice details too.

Woody....well....I like the Dragon, very well detailed. The sin message is loud and very clear.

Dianna - nicely well portrayed - great expressions.

Carol - the wrath is super along with Envy and Pride. Like that puffy Rooster.

Old Hobby - that is awesome and depicted very well - reminds me of a Monty Python movie scene.

ColinS - hands down done in the Naive style. Stupendous for all 7 sins and they all seem happy at it.

Mayfly
04-21-2018, 09:57 PM
This sin is Anger. Once started, it grabs hold and spreads. Very destructive.

On WC paper, 9x12. Comments and critiques always wanted.

Cheers

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2018/74021-IMG_1805_800x574.jpg

Attalus
04-21-2018, 10:16 PM
Thanks, Carl. Your pic is exactly what Wrath feels like when I lose my temper.

talisman
04-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Carl I can feel the anger in this!
Wonderful textures also, they are so strong it looks mad....that is the point!

Mayfly
04-21-2018, 10:53 PM
Thank you both for the comments. Yep, I think I may have been inspired from my week this week. On the bright side, Church is tomorrow so things are looking up. :thumbsup: Cheers

ColinS
04-21-2018, 11:28 PM
Bill - Pride -- goeth before a fall, they say, and Rome fell with a big thunk. Great take on the naive style as well.

Woody - Lust -- unmistakable! Very good interpretation of the theme.

Dianna -- Lust, Envy, Wrath -- Excellent interpretations. Lust and Envy are almost Pre-Rahaelite in the way they evoke a kind of Celtic medievalism.

Sweeets -- Wrath -- Wrath of God? Cool sky stricken by the lightening. Pride and Envy -- this is a beautiful scene. I love the colour and light.

Jime -- Gluttony -- Well done! The face and flab of the glutton are clear. I like the stylish naive take on the subject.

Carl -- Anger -- Looks like a pretty mean night out there. Very evocative of the storm of emotion.

Attalus
04-22-2018, 01:25 AM
Thank you both for the comments. Yep, I think I may have been inspired from my week this week. On the bright side, Church is tomorrow so things are looking up. :thumbsup: CheersYeah, it always helps me with perspective. God bless you and yours.

WoodyWelch
04-22-2018, 02:28 AM
Woody - Lust -- unmistakable! Very good interpretation of the theme.

Thank you kindly!!! :clap:

Sweeets
04-22-2018, 03:36 AM
Attalus -- Very clever, imaginative idea. I like the gesture work.

Woody -- Beautifully rendered piece. What's that behind the woman? Is that the People's Daily HQ tower in Beijing? :evil:

Dianna -- These are great. I particularly like the expression of envy on the second figure -- not over done and on point.

Old Hobbyist -- I laughed out loud at your first piece, so you did a terrific job of evoking emotion from the viewer!

Colin -- So creative having these little vignettes along the road. I suspect you had fun painting this one. Love the naïf style, too.

Carl -- Great depiction of anger. You really nailed it with the color palette and the brushwork.

Maureen -- It's nice to be back. Hoping to participate more in the upcoming months. :)

WoodyWelch
04-22-2018, 05:19 AM
Woody -- Beautifully rendered piece. What's that behind the woman? Is that the People's Daily HQ tower in Beijing?

LOL :lol:

talisman
04-22-2018, 06:52 AM
Dianna -- Lust, Envy, Wrath -- Excellent interpretations. Lust and Envy are almost Pre-Rahaelite in the way they evoke a kind of Celtic medievalism.

Oh, you couldn't have said a nicer thing!
The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood is my favorite art movement!
Thanks so very much!:heart:

talisman
04-22-2018, 06:58 AM
Thanks Carl and Carol, I enjoyed doing these.
It looks like Envy was a favorite to many folks.
It's always nice to have the feedback, I actually liked Lust better (shows what I know).

Attalus
04-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Attalus -- Very clever, imaginative idea. I like the gesture work.

- It's nice to be back. Hoping to participate more in the upcoming months. :)Thanks. Like I said elsewhere, he just popped into my mind. And came out just like I intended. Something rare for me.
Hope you will stay awhile. :wave:

Charlie's Mum
04-22-2018, 12:37 PM
Jim/OH ......... that's a really good illustration of Gluttony in the Naive style - and in the style of your favourite artist.:)

Colin - thank you for being brave enough to try the twist in the challenge! It actually is not easy to adapt to that particular style I think .... I do like the 'story' of the corrupt town!:)

Carl - love this version of Wrath! It describes absolutely how I feel this afternoon after wasted hours at the easel! I like the thick and furious paint application!! :lol:

I'll post mine next post - don't want to contaminate reference to the lovely works above! :)

Charlie's Mum
04-22-2018, 12:39 PM
The first two were binned - well, one gessoed over and one binned!... hence my anger with myself today ...... so here's #3 - I'll leave you to work it out!:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2018/30494-Envy_-_the_grass_is_greener_DS.jpg

cem
04-22-2018, 01:07 PM
The grass is always greener on the other side, Maureen. Well done. I could not participate this month again. Lots of nice entries though.

Attalus
04-22-2018, 02:51 PM
So that would be Envy, Maureen? Clever. :wink2:

ColinS
04-22-2018, 06:44 PM
The grass is always greener. Clever, Maureen!

Thank you for all your kind comments on my offering.

dave woody
04-22-2018, 09:00 PM
The first two were binned - well, one gessoed over and one binned!... hence my anger with myself today ...... so here's #3 - I'll leave you to work it out!:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2018/30494-Envy_-_the_grass_is_greener_DS.jpg

Very clever. Love it

talisman
04-22-2018, 10:18 PM
The grass is always greener on the other side, Maureen, cool way to do envy.

I once saw two horses on different sides of a fence, each straining to reach over and eat the grass from the other side, they were only about five feet from each other. It made me smile and wish I had a camera.

Thanks for a fun and interesting Challenge this month!

Mayfly
04-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Maureen - very very good and made me think a long time......nice.

bluefish
04-23-2018, 06:57 AM
Maureen......glad everyone explained it for me.....I thought you were cutting the grass and the mower ran out of fuel!....:lol: :wave:

nice job....really clever....:thumbsup:

fedetony
04-23-2018, 08:48 AM
Sorry, been very busy (no internet at home and I'm in the process of changing jobs) and have not finished mine.. I went for the 7 sins, I have lust and pride, but missing the rest!
There is no sense in showing one without the others, so I'll try to deliver before the end of the month :D... Anyway I'll publish my result here ;)

Margaretta
04-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Phew! Just finished so will comment later. I may tweak this eventually but need to do some housework!!
I was inspired by the Barbary Apes on a recent visit to Gibraltar. They were such characters!
This is acrylic on board measuring 41" x 21",
It's the sin of GREED!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2018/216855-rsz_20180423_142330.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Gosh Margaretta - that's a HUGE painting! Quite an undertaking! Well painted and I do like the greens/patterns/textures you've used to complement the apes.

Fede - no worries about completing the series but we would like to see how far you get/got next week! Congrats on new job - hope the stress levels are not too high!

Thank you all for your comments on mine.:)

talisman
04-23-2018, 01:07 PM
Margaretta you may have only had Greed in mind for this but I see others.
The Barbary Ape with the food looks more plump than the others, so Gluttony also. Many of the others are looking at him so Envy. The one in the bottom left of the painting by the bush faces us looks angry to me, so Wrath. The mother is protective of her baby and looks proud, so Pride. The one leaning in the tree branch looks sort of dreamy so I think Sloth. The one in the bottom right has it's hand in the crotch region so maybe Lust (or a bad itch.)

Well done I love it!

Attalus
04-23-2018, 01:52 PM
Very nice, Margaretta. Love Dianna's interpretation. :thumbsup:

bluefish
04-23-2018, 04:58 PM
wow Dianna....that's an excellent analysis of the painting....no 'monkeying around' for you...you call's em as you see's em!....:thumbsup: :wave:

Margaretta
04-23-2018, 05:25 PM
Dianna, that really made me laugh. Oddly I hadn't thought of the other deadly sins at all so you are very clever to read all that. Thank you. Actually I wish I were a cartoonist but I'm not. It would work far better as a cartoon in pen and ink.:)

ColinS
04-23-2018, 11:31 PM
Great take on the subject, Margaretta! I like Dianna's analysis.

Margaretta
04-25-2018, 05:50 PM
Attalus: Your envious lady work shows tension and a wariness. The proud Roman made me smile. He's like any conceited driver who enjoys thinking he is invincible.
Mayfly: Love your list which summarises the comments! Your anger/wrath painting is exciting being unleashed and untamed fire.
WoodyWelch: Seriously skillful! Very expressive and symbolic of lust....not that I would know of course!:lol:
Talisman: 'Lust' shows dreamy eagerness. 'Envy' has some sadness. 'Wrath' shows red for anger. Thoughtful interpretations.
Sweeets: Full of impact and I am truly struck by the vivid lightning in your 'wrath' painting. That's one proud rooster! Those hens must be both lustful and envious.
Old Hobbyist: Your glutton is an evil elf. Of course I smiled but wouldn't like to watch him eat. The Grosz cartoon has a Hitchcock quality.
Colin S: You have perfected the naïve style with a lot of charm and your painting is amazing to include all the elements.
Maureen: Sometimes simplicity has a tremendous impact. Your painting is such a clever interpretation and I really like your lettering.

Thank you Maureen for this fun and fascinating challenge.

WoodyWelch
04-25-2018, 06:05 PM
WoodyWelch: Seriously skillful! Very expressive and symbolic of lust....not that I would know of course!

:rolleyes: :D

Attalus
04-25-2018, 07:34 PM
Attalus: The proud Roman made me smile. He's like any conceited driver who enjoys thinking he is invincible.
Thank you, Margaretta :)

fedetony
04-28-2018, 05:42 AM
Ok, finally I got my painting finished.
Warning: you'll love the sinners...:D :heart: :evil: :heart: :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2018/1975173-IMG_20180428_024038-800x350.jpg
76x30cm yupo paper, acrylics
C&C welcome

Closeups
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2018/1975173-IMG_20180428_022007-768x576.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2018/1975173-IMG_20180428_022025-768x576.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-28-2018, 08:34 AM
Oh Fede - that has to be the most adorable painting I've seen in a long while!

Clever thinking, clever execution - the most remarkable control on yupo!
Thank you! :clap: :clap: :clap:

bluefish
04-28-2018, 09:40 AM
Maureen said it all for me also...'fabulous' painting....:clap:

talisman
04-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Federico great group painting, they are all so cute, I really can't think sins when I see they adorable puppies!
Well Done!

Attalus
04-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Let's see, going from left: Sloth, Lust, Envy, Gluttony, Greed, Pride, and Wrath?
Not sure about #3 and #5. Nice:clap:

Grampy
04-28-2018, 12:56 PM
Fede, a class act.
Steve

WoodyWelch
04-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Fedetony, those pups are ADORABLE!!!!:clap: :heart:

ColinS
04-28-2018, 01:45 PM
Cute as anything.

I think the 7 sins of puppies are sloth, chewing, piddling, digging, knocking things over, whining and gluttony.

fedetony
04-28-2018, 02:30 PM
Wow, what a nice feeling this positive response to my painting... Gives me great energy, thank you -Maureen, bluefish, Dianna,Bill,Steve,Woody And Colins for that :)... I admit I had trouble selecting what to paint and then I saw the paw patrol with my son and the bulb lighted on... I will come back with feedback to everyone's paintings... been so busy, sorry :)
Was a lot of fun to paint it :)

fedetony
04-28-2018, 03:08 PM
Bill: Your Naive Pride looks to me as vanity... same si but vanity is deeper.. a show off of the romans... :lol:
Woody: Very phallic ... she is also greedy, all that thing only for her :D... :lol: ... must raise the envy of the other girls :D
Dianna: The three of them are great. I like more the compositions in lust and envy... great work.
Carol: The lightning'wrath' painting is a great idea...well executed too. I don't get much of the sin in the hens? Rooster pride?, Hens gossip? anyway looks nice
Old Hobbyist: Awesome image. That was exactly my first approach to the challenge,specially in Germany and USA obesity is something you often encounter.
Colins: The composition is great, has all the sins and you did it also with the naïve style :clap: has a lot of charm and your painting is amazing to include all the elements.
Carl: Colors you chose give a strong impact, yes you got wrath correctly
Maureen: very clever way of painting envy...
Margaretta: Even without Dianna's clarification, it looked to me also a complete scene full of sins... well done, and the format also gives impact...
Fede: You must generate lust in the other female artist thinking on how creative you are in art (they imagine the other stuff)... The males must envy you and look at your image while devouring a potato chip bag lying in the sofa.In the end will be someone that wants to take your art and monetize it for his benefit, or the one is too enraged because of your good results. :lol:

Attalus
04-28-2018, 04:04 PM
Bill: Your Naive Pride looks to me as vanity... same si but vanity is deeper.. a show off of the romans... :lol:
Got it backwards, there, Fede. Satan has Pride, Paris Hilton has vanity. A much more superficial thing. "I am cute" vs. "Anything I do is right". :p

Margaretta
04-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Fedetony: Your self-critique made me smile!:)
These characterful puppies are a delight. If only each sin were this loveable.
I really admire your limited palette.

Attalus
04-28-2018, 05:58 PM
Fedetony: Your self-critique made me smile!:)
If only each sin were this loveable.

How about Don Blanding's fantasy: The second picture . . . a freakish thing . . .
Is gaudy and bright as a macaw’s wing,
An impressionist smear called “Sin”,
A nude on a striped zebra skin
By a Danish girl I knew in France.
My respectable friends will look askance
At the purple eyes and the scarlet hair,
At the pallid face and the evil stare
Of the sinister, beautiful vampire face.
I shouldn’t have it about the place,
But I like . . . while I loathe . . . the beastly thing,
And that’s the way that one feels about sin. -from "Vagabond House"

Margaretta
04-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Attalas: Crikey! That poem makes sin really exciting! Several members would grab that as a theme I think....:lol:

Charlie's Mum
04-29-2018, 11:22 AM
But isn't that why we sin Margretta - because it's usually 'naughty, but nice'?:lol:

Attalus
04-29-2018, 02:34 PM
Attalus: Crikey! That poem makes sin really exciting! Several members would grab that as a theme I think....:lol: I wanna see. I have always wanted to do that one, but I can't make the nude woman look evil enough. My "girls" all look nice. :( Woody W., take note!

SusietheModel
04-29-2018, 03:44 PM
*AHEM* https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pin-Up-Girl-Poster-11x17-nude-flapper-bear-skin-rug-fireplace-art-deco-/191827533414?roken=cUgayN

Attalus
04-29-2018, 06:31 PM
See, that's just what I mean. That girl doesn't look evil. She looks sweet. Making pretty girls look evil is hard.

bluefish
04-29-2018, 06:55 PM
tell them they look 'fat', then watch the 'evil' in their faces....:lol:

always 'helpful hints' on here.....:angel: :rolleyes:

SusietheModel
04-29-2018, 09:38 PM
*DOUBLE AHEM* Dare you to tell her she's fat, bluefish :p

http://i66.tinypic.com/x4ewph.jpg

Attalus
04-29-2018, 11:10 PM
Actually, Suze. you may have a point there. That face... Hmmm...

DaneelOlivaw
04-30-2018, 02:34 AM
My apologies all, I was on track, and then next door lost a pregnancy, and so... I've just dropped everything. They're just devastated.
I'll post it one day, if I finish it!
Love everybody's works - the whole gamut! Congrats all.

WoodyWelch
04-30-2018, 03:24 AM
I wanna see. I have always wanted to do that one, but I can't make the nude woman look evil enough. My "girls" all look nice. :( Woody W., take note!

Turning cute into evil? That's a pastime of mine.

WoodyWelch
04-30-2018, 03:36 AM
I also adore "full-bodied" girls and use them as models all the time....(Of course I only spend time with these ladies who have embraced their genetics and love life.)

WoodyWelch
04-30-2018, 03:39 AM
Hopefully I have NOT given anyone ideas for the next challenge....I don't want to see EVIL FAT GIRLS WEARING BRAS.....(or do I?????):rolleyes:

bluefish
04-30-2018, 06:00 AM
your choice, next challenge......as Woody stated..."EVIL FAT GIRLS WEARING BRAS" OR ''SMILING SKINNY GIRLS WITHOUT BRAS".....:lol: :clap: