PDA

View Full Version : Is a reptile an animal?

old_hobbyist
03-29-2018, 05:06 PM
In a month a local art gallery is displaying ANIMAL paintings. I was urged to enter. When I argued that I don't furry or feathering thingies but I would enter my succubus from last year's Halloween contest, the committee protested saying that succubi were not animals. After a couple of additional pleas, I agreed so long as the definition of animal is not restricted to the aforementioned creatures. They agreed. Here is my entry.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2018/214919-gecko_-_satanic_leaf-tailed.jpg

This is a gecko. No, not a cute cuddly Progressive Insurance Gecko with a Brit accent. It's a 3-inch tall SATANIC LEAF-TAILED GECKO from Madagascar. 16 x 20 on gallery wrap canbas.

gaykir
03-29-2018, 06:55 PM
I love him and you did a great job. And just for the record....

an∑i∑mal
ˈanəməl
noun
a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli.
"animals such as spiders"

DaneelOlivaw
03-29-2018, 09:34 PM
I fail to understand... did the rules say it had to be a 'real' animal? Or only the ones that they think are real?

I understand that there are many people in the world who believe that all sorts of creatures unknown to established scientific groups, are real. And then a scientist trips over one, gets bitten by one, or finds one in their sleeping bag... and then it 'becomes real'. I hope said scientist doesn't find a succubus in their sleeping bag.

I love the gecko, he's adorable... and also real.

If they reject that, file them under 'indiscriminate', and never go near them again.

ColinS
03-29-2018, 11:25 PM
Of course reptiles are animals. Even we are animals.

old_hobbyist
03-29-2018, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I knew reptiles were animals but I wasn't too sure about some of the judges. I really don't think they wanted to extend their definition to satanic beasts, real or otherwise. I think I'll call him "El Gecko" after that famous Greek painter what's-his-name..

Charlie's Mum
03-30-2018, 07:29 AM
I think I'll call him "El Gecko" after that famous Greek painter what's-his-name..
Good title!:lol: good painting!

DaneelOlivaw
03-30-2018, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I knew reptiles were animals but I wasn't too sure about some of the judges. I really don't think they wanted to extend their definition to satanic beasts, real or otherwise. I think I'll call him "El Gecko" after that famous Greek painter what's-his-name..

I was drinking tea! And then I read this, and laughed, and I snorted tea out my nose! You really shouldn't be allowed to be that funny... my husband thought I was dying! I sort of was...:lol: I kept saying 'El Gecko' after that. Hubby was tempted to call someone.

Satanic beasts... so the judges don't believe in themselves? Wow, that's really existentialist, man. So DaDa.

Previous post was a doppelganger so I deleted it.

talisman
03-30-2018, 08:58 AM
It like it and I'm glad they finally saw your point of view, I think it's great and the "El Gecko" is hilarious!

LavenderFrost
03-30-2018, 10:10 AM
Well, you know, it probably didn't occur to them that they needed to specify real animals. :lol:

That is an interesting creature there. You sure this exists? lol

Boafamily
03-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Nice entry and I like your style.

MeEmilee
03-30-2018, 11:24 AM
This is such a great painting, I love these geckos! Great texture. This might be a breath of fresh air after all the inevitable dogs/cats/horses that'll be entered.

musket
03-31-2018, 01:04 PM
I love him and you did a great job. And just for the record....

an∑i∑mal
ˈanəməl
noun
a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli.
"animals such as spiders"

It's a bit of a stretch to call a spider an animal, though in the broad sense of course it is a member of the Animal Kingdom. Generally speaking, when people refer to animals they mean mammals, reptiles and amphibians. Fish are animals, but very few think of them that way. Likewise for birds, which are actually reptiles (they're dinosaurs).

Vivien Maloney
03-31-2018, 05:44 PM
Aha! When is an animal not an animal? I think he's great and I like the title "El Gecko"! Good for you and I hope they let you enter him! Wonderful painting! :thumbsup:

DaneelOlivaw
04-01-2018, 07:09 AM
It's a bit of a stretch to call a spider an animal, though in the broad sense of course it is a member of the Animal Kingdom. Generally speaking, when people refer to animals they mean mammals, reptiles and amphibians. Fish are animals, but very few think of them that way. Likewise for birds, which are actually reptiles (they're dinosaurs).

I always thought of insects, fish, and the rest of us as animals. I don't think it's a stretch... I would never have said that very few people think of fish as animals - not in my experience of people in general, at all.

Colorado_Ed
04-01-2018, 01:57 PM
I always thought of insects, fish, and the rest of us as animals. I don't think it's a stretch... I would never have said that very few people think of fish as animals - not in my experience of people in general, at all.

If itís not a vegetable or a mineral, itís an animal. Either that or Iíve been playing Twenty Questions wrong my whole life. :lol:

DaneelOlivaw
04-01-2018, 05:03 PM
If itís not a vegetable or a mineral, itís an animal. Either that or Iíve been playing Twenty Questions wrong my whole life. :lol:

Absolutely! That's why I thought it was such an odd thing to not think of insects and fish as animals... where do we stand on viruses? Would have been awesome to enter a virus painting... if they kick at a succubus... hee-haw!

:lol:Playing twenty questions wrong:lol:

laf.art
04-02-2018, 04:41 AM
Love this Gecko

Eraethil
04-02-2018, 02:10 PM
People that think birds and fish (and insects and spiders and crustaceans and worms and jellyfish and urchins and sea stars and all the microscopic animals) aren't animals are cutting down the animal kingdom to a single phylum (Chordata) and a single subphylum (Vertebrata) and then to only three classes (Mammalia, Reptilia, Amphibia).

That whittles down the tree of animal species from over 2 million to just over 21 thousand, cutting out almost 99% of known species.

We should create a new subspecies of homo sapiens to classify these folks. :lol: Homo Ignoramus? :lol: :lol: :lol:

bluefish
04-02-2018, 04:26 PM
great painting and classy title....:thumbsup:

if you want to dig the judges a little you could call it ...."The Morning After".....:lol:

Eraethil
04-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Or "Neither Vegetable Nor Mineral" ;)

fedetony
04-04-2018, 05:15 AM
Lovely Gecko ... looks great :)...

JoL56
04-04-2018, 07:34 AM
Wonderful painting!

Joachim

Margaretta
04-05-2018, 08:39 AM
He looks feisty! Love his markings. Your posts often reveal 'feisty and grizzly' OH, so maybe he's a kindred spirit? Therefore an animal, a mammal? and therefore eligible for the exhibition. Maybe he and you can pounce on the judges when it's over?:lol:

musket
04-05-2018, 09:05 AM
People that think birds and fish (and insects and spiders and crustaceans and worms and jellyfish and urchins and sea stars and all the microscopic animals) aren't animals are cutting down the animal kingdom to a single phylum (Chordata) and a single subphylum (Vertebrata) and then to only three classes (Mammalia, Reptilia, Amphibia).

That whittles down the tree of animal species from over 2 million to just over 21 thousand, cutting out almost 99% of known species.

We should create a new subspecies of homo sapiens to classify these folks. :lol: Homo Ignoramus? :lol: :lol: :lol:

True.

old_hobbyist
04-05-2018, 11:49 AM
We should create a new subspecies of homo sapiens to classify these folks. Homo Ignoramus?

Can't. They're everywhere. They're already the dominant species!

Eraethil
04-08-2018, 12:24 AM
LOL

They're already the dominant species!