PDA

View Full Version : How to drive yourself crazy...

graphicali
03-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Having had an interesting time yesterday playing with some mylar draughting film and acrylics, today I decided to try some Duralar film, which I had obtained from the same office clear out as the mylar and thought was similar stuff. It is clear rather than opaque but ended up being completely different.

Never again! It is very difficult to get layers down on this stuff. The paint does not want to stick at all, so it was a fairly silly exercise but I had to try! This is A3 size and was as far as I wanted to go.

So thumbs up for mylar draughting film, thumbs down for duralar. I can think of some interesting options just painting a single layer of paint but that is for another day.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2018/106950-20180328_154753-01.jpeg

KreativeK
03-28-2018, 11:29 AM
Beautiful colors and patterns!

laf.art
03-28-2018, 11:32 AM
You've covered the struggle well :) looks very good from here

Boafamily
03-28-2018, 12:10 PM
You have found a wonderful groove with these my friend. Texture, color, flow and composition....check times 4.:thumbsup:

Hairy wolf
03-28-2018, 12:17 PM
Your experiments are interesting. Had I gone the same way, I would have included blacks and dark blues to highten the expression by means of more contrasts. But thatís just me...

graphicali
03-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Thanks all, I probably would have included more darks too but by the time I reached that stage all it took was a slight tap in the wrong place and lumps of paint fell off, so I didn't take it any further.

I don't think that it would make sense using many layers of paint, the paint surface is very fragile and doesn't adhere very strongly. It does say "Simply wipe with a damp cloth for repeated use", on the packet! It would work well as a monoprint plate.

On the draughting film was much more difficult to move the dried paint, so I think that is where my experiments will continue. It produced a more sturdy outcome.

Bilateral
03-29-2018, 02:09 AM
It might have made you crazy, but I really like it. A lot of visual interest and it all works. Love the colors, too.

ronsu18
03-29-2018, 07:40 AM
i bet you had some kind of revelation while the bits of paint were exploding about? seeing the material formed into a 3D object or something like that, completely unrelated to the project at hand, so the new bud started forming in your mind.

graphicali
03-29-2018, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys, :)

I do have plans to try some 3d stuff but will probably use the draughting film!

graphicali
03-29-2018, 08:15 AM
I do have a small update on this but not sure if I should put it here or in a new thread.