PDA

View Full Version : spots on canvas

cem
03-25-2018, 04:04 PM
question.......I have been experiencing areas on my stretched primed canvases that won't take paint. I've tried gesso, thick paint.....the spots keep showing up. Am I doing something wrong or are these canvases just messed up? I thought maybe someone here could help answer the question or at least suggest something.

DaneelOlivaw
03-25-2018, 04:16 PM
I've had canvas like this, but they always took gesso, no problem... home made, with lots of tooth added.

Perhaps if the spot occurs after the first coat, sand it all back and wash the canvas with some dishwashing detergent and rinse well?

Is the spot a stain that comes through, or is it an actual separation and rejection of the paint entirely? Could there have been something oily on the canvas? Are they all from the same batch, bought at the same time?

Some of the canvas here is wholly paint repellent, and I usually fix it with gesso as I like toned grounds, however the washing idea occurred to me once or twice.

Dcam
03-25-2018, 04:25 PM
Hi Cindy: there is a primer that covers stains really well called KILZ. You can get it in water based or oil based formula. That stuff will keep just about anything from coming through. Home depot or lowes.
You can use either the oil based or water based for your acrylic painting.

cem
03-25-2018, 07:09 PM
I "gessoed" the canvas before starting the painting. The spots were not a problem until a lot of work had already been done on it. Grrrr. Thanks for your reply Daneel.
Derek, I am very familiar with KILZ. Have never tried it on canvas. Excellent idea. Easier than washing. Thanks for your expertise.

ddattler
03-28-2018, 08:30 PM
Another water base stain blocker that works well for me is Bulls Eye 1-2-3 primer by Zinsser". Waterbase would be my preference since I've had issues with acrylics peeling over oil based primers.

cliff.kachinske
03-30-2018, 10:39 AM
Is it possible that something oily touched or dripped onto the canvas?