PDA

View Full Version : The Way Home And Welcoming Embrace WIP

Trier
03-24-2018, 04:36 PM
This will continue to be a work in progress, but in a pause mode, while I figure out better techniques for correcting mistakes in this medium, (Oil Sticks), as it has taken far too much time at my present skill level.

The photo is not very close in showing the relative values of the bridge and the circular shape in the heavens, they are brighter IRL, so what.

19x12ins Shiva Oil Paintsticks on paper
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2018/89990-DSCN3582TheWayHomeWC.JPG

Sage advice & CC's more than welcome.

Regards,
Trier

Katie Black
03-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Trier, I love the composition.

At this stage of the WIP all I can say is that I wouldn't change the bottom right-hand quadrant at all.. because it is perfect.

cliff.kachinske
03-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Interesting compo. Tells a story, as the title suggests.

birdhs
03-24-2018, 09:18 PM
Captured long long ago
in a time no human can recall
waiting watching writhing
She has burst into the night sky
perhaps something cracked
a keeper croaked
the She has arisen
headed for the home She knew
not an explosion
it twas an occurence
an artist painting an old castle
was painting it again
he alone saw the Event
he alone painted it
even now
while the paint is still wet
She is gone
gone
gone

ronsu18
03-25-2018, 07:21 AM
oooo the transparencies are gorgeous! have to look into this media. can you compare it to oil pastels?
good composition, sort of free and compact at the same time, dynamic and clear.

Trier
03-30-2018, 05:14 PM
Thank you very much, Katie -

That comment is a great help in figuring out what I should do next with this.

Kindest Regards,
Trier

Trier
03-30-2018, 05:19 PM
Hey Cliff - Thanks a lot.
Unable to reply earlier.
See my reply to our resident poet and critic, Greggo, for the story you sensed.

Regards,
Trier

Trier
03-30-2018, 06:43 PM
Greggo -

I can't thank you enough for your beautiful, sensitive and poetic description of this; your words are a part of it now.

You have expressed an amazingly close resemblance to what was going through my mind as I painted.

I feel I must share the story behind the image so that you may compare for yourself.

The story and explanation of the painting 'The Way Home'.

This all came about while I was viewing an image of an Italian hill town on the TV show called 'Rick Steve's in Europe'.
I also found the same image, or another view, on the net and right here on Wet Canvas.
The name of the town is 'Civita Di Bagnoregio".

There was something about the image that deeply resonated with me even though I had never been there.
I felt inspired to paint the spiritual pilgrimage that she took, and that we all take, using the essential elements of this small town.

The bridge or causeway.
The bridge being for pedestrians only, lends itself well to represent or symbolize the beginning of a journey or pilgrimage.
I use it here to symbolize the birth of a human spirit. I also felt that it portrayed the beginning of human life passing over that chasm of the unborn and entry into human society.

The town or village is next on the path and I use it as a symbol of the human community or society.

The Roman arch or Gateway symbolizes the opening to further experience beyond mere human activity.

The tower could symbolize the elevation of understanding and enlightenment through study and reason as it rises up towards the heavens. It could be the tower of the Church, monastery and that of a secular college combined.
To me it also portrayed the limitations of attempting to reach complete understanding through study and reason alone, because, as a physical object it could not possibly rise high enough.

Next I wanted to show the passage and then the ascension rising up of her spirit, as all spirits, on the invincible power of love and goodness transcending the material world and rejoining with the Creator.

How to portray the spirit, which is immaterial, and the power and force of love seemed daunting and impossible to me with any of the symbols I knew of.
The human likenesses that Albrecht Dürer, the Renaissance masters and William Blake used seemed inappropriate for something as immaterial and abstract as the power and force of love and a spirit.

On sudden impulse, I just drew and painted the large pink teardrop shape powerfully ascending to meet a portion of the divine spirit, as represented by an abstract Angel that is drawing her spirit in with an equally powerful loving embrace.

The polestar that appears in the upper right is meant to symbolize the immensity and timelessness of the spiritual space that is the reality wherein all exists.

So much for a poorly worded verbal explanation.

I believe that what I wound up with was something that could be called a Symbolist or Allegorical painting, or whatever, it doesn't matter to me.
I believe that what an observer of this type of image sees is almost totally dependent on their cultural background and life experiences; therefore, any interpretation of this is as correct as another.

Sorry for the late reply, but things have been difficult lately.

Thanks again for the time and effort you took to compose the poetry.

Regards,
Trier

Trier
03-30-2018, 06:51 PM
Hey ronsu18 -

Thanks for the nice comment, blending is one of the chief attractions to me of using the Oil Sticks.

In my limited experience, they seem to handle very much the same as Oil Pastels, but they generally are not as soft, depends a lot on the brand I think.

Regards,
Trier

john
03-30-2018, 09:49 PM
Very cool. I like the design. Feels like a mythic dream of ascension. A striving toward the heavens.

birdhs
03-30-2018, 11:18 PM
In Response: Without great Art to inspire me, I could not create the words
Every piece of Art, even what appears to be a landscape, has a story behind it. I do not ask what the artist was thinking, I simply respond, with my life experiences, to the vision that comes to my fingers as I type.

I do not write about all the Art that presents here on WC. There simply isn't time. It is difficult to not write about some, but choices have to be made.

Trier
03-30-2018, 11:27 PM
Thanks John -

I am really gratified that you saw the striving I was trying to depict. Great!

Regards,
Trier

graphicali
03-31-2018, 02:44 AM
This is really beautiful, feelings of sorrow and joy all wrapped up together.

jimwhalen
03-31-2018, 06:38 AM
On first look I saw the symbolism of a crossing over and ascension to a higher plane or heaven. The sky is simply beautiful and my favorite part of the piece.

Greggo, thanks for your poem...your words are always inspiring.

Trier
03-31-2018, 06:23 PM
Alita, thank you so much; you know.

Jim - Thanks to you. Its great when someone sees what was sought to be expressed.
The Oil Sticks are great for blending, as in the sky, but a pain otherwise.

Regards,
Trier

Wilsonart
03-31-2018, 07:12 PM
Trier,
I see The Resurrection.

The richness in these colors really intensify
the composition. Awesome!

Trier
04-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Thank you [B]Babs[B], very much appreciated.

I was trying to show the power and force of the idea by using as intense colors as I could get out of the Oil Sticks.

Regards,
Trier

AnnieA
04-02-2018, 12:46 PM
I love the unusual tall format of the piece and the "s" curve composition works very well. Interesting story and symbolism too. Perhaps because of Easter just yesterday, I too see the Resurrection in it.

Trier
04-02-2018, 10:51 PM
Thank you AnnieA.

The initial thoughts on this were well before Easter, and it is just fortuitous that I am finishing it in the Easter season. The themes are so close that the thinking about Easter was bound to give added emphasis and clarity to what I was trying to say.

Your kind comments are very much appreciated.

Regards,
Trier