PDA

View Full Version : Fluids and stay wet palettes

scmelik
03-19-2018, 07:35 PM
How well do fluids work in stay wet palettes? I want to start working more with acrylics while some of my oil pieces are drying. I have a bunch of fluids and thought about getting a stay wet just so I can keep mixed for use later rather than trying to remix all the time. Do fluids get watered down more than heavy bodies in a staywet?

Eraethil
03-20-2018, 02:17 AM
They do get more watered down. But even when you clean up the palette, the remnants of mixed colours remain on the paper, making them a bit easier to remix in a subsequent session.

Ellis Ammons
03-20-2018, 04:20 AM
Actually I've found that fluid acrylics have the least impact from getting wet. Some brands are highly pigmented and are made to be mixed down with water. They just turn into water color. Other types of acrylic turn into a streaky mess after you mix to much water.

I wouldn't try to keep it on a stay wet palette for a very long time due to mold and stuff. If I want to keep a color for a long time I put it into a large oral syringe, the kind without the needle and has a cap. I have some from last year that is the same as when i put it in. I promise myself I'm going to finish those paintings soon :angel:. I also keep them full of my primary colors instead of opening the big bottles over and over. It keeps everything nice and tidy.

Its simple enough to keep acrylics workable on a palette just mist them with water and cover them with something airtight. You have to get a feel for how much water and how much time it takes them to dry out.

contumacious
03-20-2018, 02:13 PM
I don't like misting my paints directly. It changes their consistency. With plenty of water in the yellow sponge to keep the top sheet moist I have found that I literally never need to mist my paints or my mixtures on a Masterson Stay Wet palette.

Soaking the top sheet in boiling water or pouring boiling water over it in a pan when you first use it plus at repeating that at least every other time you clean it, coupled with a few pennies under the yellow sponge, has totally eliminated mold on my acrylic paint palettes. The paints stay wet, stored in the refrigerator for months with no problems as long as there is plenty of moisture in the yellow sponge and none of the areas of the over sheet are allowed to separate from the sponge and thus dry out. Once a corner are area lifts up and / or is no longer wicking moisture from the yellow sponge you need to take care of it immediately. Don't forget to add water to the yellow sponge periodically as needed. I add it by lifting the top sheet or spritzing the bare areas of the top sheet with water, but as noted above never spritzing directly on the paints. If you are OK with watering down your paints, then spritzing directly on them should be fine.

old_hobbyist
03-20-2018, 02:51 PM
I found a white enamel baking sheet with a snap-on plastic lid. I fastened a sponge to the lid. I put my paints directly on the enameled sheet. When I want to save some paint, I slightly dampen the sponge. No worries about making the paints too wet...

Oh, and for storage of many colors, I use a deviled egg carrying container with a lid. But I rarely use that many colors.

scmelik
03-20-2018, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone. I will put the order in for it, I need to order some paint anyway. If it doesnít work I guess Iíll come up with another solution.

Dcam
03-20-2018, 09:24 PM
I use these little bottles I got from AC Moore (Michaels, Hobby Lobby). They have tight little plastic lids.....air tight.
I use Golden High Flow and Golden fluids, and Atelier Free flow.
I mix up interesting little batches of new colors in the bottles. Very handy.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Stencils-Craft-Paints/Paint-Containers/c/9-186-1421

scmelik
03-20-2018, 10:53 PM
I use these little bottles I got from AC Moore (Michaels, Hobby Lobby). They have tight little plastic lids.....air tight.
I use Golden High Flow and Golden fluids, and Atelier Free flow.
I mix up interesting little batches of new colors in the bottles. Very handy.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Stencils-Craft-Paints/Paint-Containers/c/9-186-1421

Derek I use those as well for my high flows and they work great I have paint in there that I put in there 8-9 months ago and itís still good. Slightly thicker than it was when I first put it in there but not bad at all. Thatís not a bad idea at all actually. I have been using a lot of Williamsburg neutral greys in my lil painting and I love it I may use those to mix up a set of greys for my acrylics.

fedetony
03-21-2018, 04:57 AM
I mostly work with fluid acrylics. They sell the same glass droplet jars where the paints come so you can mix and store the colors (when you need a lot). They will last the same as any fluid acrylic. I use these jars and poor on my palette the few drops I need in the moment to work, so I hardly waste any paint and I don't need my palette to be wet. When more is needed I just add some more drops ;)..

Eraethil
03-21-2018, 10:38 AM
So are most of us saying the same thing? The sponge-based palettes are good during a painting session, but we save our paint in air-tight containers between sessions?

scmelik
03-21-2018, 01:10 PM
So are most of us saying the same thing? The sponge-based palettes are good during a painting session, but we save our paint in air-tight containers between sessions?

What Iím getting from it is to not even worry about a stay wet palette with fluids. Get some small squeeze bottles mix your paints in them and squeeze out what you need when you need it.

Dcam
03-21-2018, 02:18 PM
Rick: not me......I still use a regular palette. I know just the amount of paint I need for the day and usually have little or no waste. But I do like the little containers for fluids.

Ellis Ammons
03-21-2018, 04:43 PM
What Iím getting from it is to not even worry about a stay wet palette with fluids. Get some small squeeze bottles mix your paints in them and squeeze out what you need when you need it. Long story short, if I had a stay wet palette I would use it. I've found using parchment paper over some moist paper towels is better than trying to mix on a glass palette. I've tried mixing in little jello shot cups and it gets tedious as well. But for some reason paint can stay workable a long time in the jello shot cups. Like days.. With no water.

But I paint small so I don't put much paint out at a time. If i don't use the parchment paper as a palette and use my glass palatte my paints dry within about 10 minutes. Whereas they stay workable on the parchment paper all day.
Just have to watch the moisture. To much on the towels and they will get to watered down. So usually just misting the underside of the paper enough to keep it stuck down is fine. It's not an exact science :). And if I try to mist them with water on the glass they will start having little bits of dried paint in the piles. So it's scrape'n mix constantly.

scmelik
03-21-2018, 05:36 PM
I agree Ellis before I put my acrylics away the last time I was using a glass palette and it sucked, spray the paint and it ran all over donít spray and it would dry super quick. I really like Derekís idea of using small lilttle sealable containers They are cheap so it shouldnít break the bank to try it first.

SunsetSue
03-23-2018, 10:48 AM
I love my stay wet palette and my 6 year old grandson is learning to paint but because of having school he can only paint on the weekends. He wanted my stay wet palette so I made him one using one of the Ferrero Rocher boxes we had after Christmas. I lined the bottom with felt and threw a couple pennies in the bottom. The felt s soaked in water and then a piece of the palette paper that I use in my stay wet palette is wet and placed on top. He loves this as his colors are still wet and ready to use on the weekend. I am thinking of making one just to throw his brushes in between proper cleanings as he sometimes forgets them after a session.

ddattler
03-24-2018, 03:33 AM
I use an Acryl-a-Miserô Air-Tight Palette System. Bought a couple at Jerry's Artarama years ago, and have been using them since. It's an airtight palette and has separate reservoirs for fluid paint. My paints stay moist for at least a week or two if I keep the silicone seal clean.