PDA

View Full Version : One Thing Leads to Another

Bilateral
03-18-2018, 11:17 PM
Acrylics on unstretched canvas, about 30" x 55" WIP

Still exploring rope. For this one, I used knotted rope stapled to quarter round baseboard trim (based on Rick's suggestion) and was trying to scale up an idea from a small part of Secret Message. It requires a focus on making bigger marks, something that is proving a challenge. It was all too comfortable to drill down into the canvas instead of staying big, but....... :lol:
C&C always helpful. There is some glare in the upper right and the orange is not as flat as it appears in the pic. Natural light will definitely improve the image.
Thanks for viewing :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2018/1982718-009_-_reduce_72.jpg

graphicali
03-19-2018, 02:47 AM
It is always difficult to get a good photo at this time of year in Scotland because it is often snowing or raining. I often resort to a trek to the greenhouse to try and get a photo. I don't know what the weather is like where you are but I sympathise.

I am liking those larger, vertical marks at the right, they give a good COI. It must be difficult to do the bigger marks. I keep trying to visualise the process.

KreativeK
03-19-2018, 08:52 AM
This one works well and the individual marks each have their powerful pull for the viewer. I can't imagine the process either.

Boafamily
03-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Red angry rope...nice

Katie Black
03-19-2018, 12:06 PM
I like it. I think it has all the hallmarks of what you do best.

ronsu18
03-19-2018, 09:13 PM
imagining the size, it'll be like throne in the room. it's accessible, almost hungry, don't know if this the right thing to say but i really like the composition, the strongest directions vs. the accompanying ones.

Bilateral
03-20-2018, 03:20 AM
I am liking those larger, vertical marks at the right, they give a good COI. It must be difficult to do the bigger marks. I keep trying to visualise the process.

Thanks so much. The larger marks are harder to make and to keep them from being too monochrome. These still need a little more dimension. But..then I changed everything :lol: see below.

Bilateral
03-20-2018, 03:25 AM
This one works well and the individual marks each have their powerful pull for the viewer. I can't imagine the process either.

Thanks Kay. Just imagine scrubbing a table top, front/back and side/side, with a very long skinny scrub brush and you will get the idea. The technique currently has some limitations, or more accurately phrased, I have some limitations on where I can take the technique. It is evolving.

Bilateral
03-20-2018, 03:26 AM
Red angry rope...nice

It depends on one's level of frustration at any given moment.:lol:

Bilateral
03-20-2018, 03:28 AM
imagining the size, it'll be like throne in the room. it's accessible, almost hungry, don't know if this the right thing to say but i really like the composition, the strongest directions vs. the accompanying ones.

Thank you Ronsu. This is a little smaller than what I usually work on, just because the colors and marks are quite aggressive. Hungry works:)

Bilateral
03-20-2018, 03:40 AM
I like it. I think it has all the hallmarks of what you do best.

Thanks so much Katie. It was still lacking for me. It had color and movement, but the knotted rope is better for making straight lines. Curves are possible, but not undulating, free form movement and shapes, which I like...a lot. To make a long story short, I became impetuous and what you see below is the result (flipped vertically). Included is an updated version of the original for comparison. I just let it rip and figured if it was a botch, there is always white gesso. I'm pondering.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2018/1982718-010_-_reduced.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2018/1982718-009_-_reduce_72.jpg

graphicali
03-20-2018, 03:47 AM
I like this, there is a much greater feeling of depth now. It is often best to just go with what your instinct is telling you.

jimwhalen
03-20-2018, 07:51 AM
I really like the depth you added with this top layer and the undulating shapes contrast the rope marks beautifully.

I would like to see the top layer a bit heavier, just a little bit less translucent, to enhance the separation and play more into the depth illusion.

ronsu18
03-20-2018, 04:26 PM
a complete surprise. did not see that coming.
it's even better, more complex, tangled.
the imaginarium of dr Bilateral.

Katie Black
03-20-2018, 08:35 PM
I do think its now far more interesting and complex. I can't help but feel that there is something missing though, something that is needed to tie it all together, bring unity.

I normally have an idea but not with this one..I wonder if you feel that too?

Bilateral
03-21-2018, 04:17 AM
Thanks Graphicali. Instinct always feels better.
Ronsu, I was surprised myself :) , glad the change seems a positive one.

I do think its now far more interesting and complex. I can't help but feel that there is something missing though, something that is needed to tie it all together, bring unity.

I normally have an idea but not with this one..I wonder if you feel that too?

Katie and Jim, Your combined comments lead to the same conclusion. It needs more. Jim, I agree the glaze layer should provide a tad more coverage. Katie, I think it might help to give that layer more dimension with very wispy hints of other colors glazed in here and there. The black lines might also need a little more weight. I'll play around with a few ideas and post an updated version soon. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

laf.art
03-22-2018, 06:14 AM
The one on the viewers left is much more complex and holds my eye a lot more than the simpler forms on the right

Bilateral
03-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Thanks, Laf. It was an interesting outcome and an idea I think Iíll use again in the future. This canvas has been a bit of a slog. I made the yellow area more opaque and it (surprisingly) took the composition in a direction Iím not as happy with. Major changes are underway. Will post updates in a day or two.

Eraethil
05-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Sorry I missed this and am now ressurecting a quiet thread but I am glad I found it late.

I really like the piece before, but even more after the addition of the biomorphic shapes. But I agree something is perhaps needed to resolve it fully. Perhaps a little bit of repetition or continuation of the string marks atop the yellow layer? Some marks could come up through the holes or one of the colours beneath could be added atop again to make the yellow field less a veil between the viewer and the action, and more a player in the game?

Regardless, I like the current finish a lot.

Bilateral
05-13-2018, 06:39 PM
Thanks Rick. I liked the idea too and am going to back to it on a subsequent piece. Your idea of threading together the amorphous shapes is a good one.

For this canvas, I made the mistake of subsequently glazing a little too much and obliterating what made it interesting. My boo-boo for sure, but live & learn.