PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy scene

IsobelW
03-18-2018, 02:37 PM
I hope this is acceptable in this forum. It was heavily inspired by the Silmarillion. The wild traveler falls in love with the beautiful dancing elf woman. I have never tried this colour scheme before. The man is mostly earth colours, the woman shades of blue, the setting night. Do you think it works? Or would it be better keeping entirely to earth colours? Any suggestions welcome! Done in soft pastels.

birdhs
03-18-2018, 03:05 PM
this is a hard painting to critique:

first: I had to goargle to find what Silmarillion was. Then I also studied the images under that search. Interesting.

Overall I love the concept and the implied action between the two COIs.
The colors are not setting perfectly with me, I did not get the feeling of night.
The orange mass has too much chroma for a night scene, a wash of violet would tone it down. Does that mass have a purpose?
The arms of the wild traveler has oddly elongated arms, but that may be your intention.
A hint of the shape of a full moon might help set the night scene. Does the dancing elf woman emanate light? Is she luminescent? If so, then her glow would illuminate only the forest closest to her.

I really think this idea has great possibilities. Rather than try to change this, I would personally just start from scratch, and keep at it until it feels right.

All opinions are strictly mine, not as an expert, just as a comment from a fellow artist who respects the other artists here on WC

greggo

IsobelW
03-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Thanks Birdhs! I will probably have to try this one a few times:lol:. The arms man's arms are supposed to be quite long and thin, but I will try tone that down next time. I find night colours difficult, but the moon is a great idea! Might also consider a change of media.

KreativeK
03-19-2018, 09:02 AM
It's a good theme and composition idea and do agree the colors need changing.

IsobelW
03-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Thought I would give this one more try, and practice mixing colours while I was at it. Went for a more illustrative approach. Acrylic ink.

birdhs
03-29-2018, 05:58 PM
You should post this as a new thread. Quite often folks never look at a thread twice. I do, but I am retired with lots of time on my hands....

Speaking of hands, and arms, .... I like the way these arms and hands frame her approach. It is an old trick, but one rarely used.
There is an example somewhere of this trick, but it is lost in my old brain.
The strength of the vertical tree trunks and their darkness force the viewer to focus on her.
The colorful lower right quadrant balances her whiteness.
The only thing bothering me now is that bright white in the forest. It competes for attention. Perhaps if it was more of a full moon with that hint of a soft cheeze and shading. Being close to the horizon it would not be that white, observe the color of a low moon vs a high moon.

I like this now!

IsobelW
03-30-2018, 02:06 AM
Thanks Birdh. I was not sure about the moon. Maybe colouring it a very light gold/ochre/silver would help?

birdhs
03-30-2018, 08:10 AM
Yes, that is what I was thinking.

IsobelW
03-30-2018, 08:52 AM
Painted the moon with very thin ochre gouche. Had to change the colours on the computer slightly to get it to show, but not too much.

birdhs
03-30-2018, 01:03 PM
Perfect!