PDA

View Full Version : mixed media encaustics

La_
03-18-2018, 02:28 PM
a weird and wonderful medium that really doesn't photograph well and contradicts the 'rule' of "Don't Touch" in that you're missing out on the full experience by not being able to feeeeeel the silky smoothness of the medium.

1. cove of islands - 11x14, plaster, white base primer, inked encaustic on masonite (smooth with roughness/sharpness in the plaster textures). the islands are broken lips from a failed group of casts made from a bedraggled bucket of pre-mixed wall plaster - apparently it's quite different from 'art' plaster.

2. fall - 11x14 ink, encaustic on masonite (super duper perfectly delicious smoooothness)

3. cliff - 12 x 20 ish, latex house paint, oils, encaustic on drywall (smooth). this one came from an attempt to seek the best colors to go with new accent wall paint (the wee dark angle at the top is all that remained).

4. workspace chaos, why not.

c&c always welcomed

la

laf.art
03-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Wow La super productive - I can hear the excitement in you words - really cool. I can almost feel the 2nd one reallygorgeous texture. The first one is full of fun and grabbed my attention and the 3rd is very La
Like your kitchen btw :)

birdhs
03-18-2018, 02:50 PM
cove .... a floating experience, seems to be moving. exactly right choices of palette. I almost feel it is a discovery of alien bones.... loving this look

fall .. a magical fogness, dreamscaping, the colors you see when listening to certain music. FINE Art

cliff ... we have crossed the great ocean, the first hint of land is a sharp high cliff, enveloped in a magical fog, unlike the bonnie shores we left behind us so many months ago.

how does one keep things looking so neat and clean?

greggo

graphicali
03-18-2018, 03:06 PM
I think that Fall is my favourite. You've really got the hang of this encaustic stuff.

ronsu18
03-18-2018, 05:01 PM
"oh wow!" was the first reaction here as well, it's a rock concert.
the cove gets me all silly thinking amphibian step chart for learning to dance oddsicle and aunt wilma's apron came loose and then what happened...
fall this one i like the best, there's elegance, warmth and the red showing through on the sides feels just sooo good, like the exactly right degree of hopeless longing. this must be amazing irl when you can experience the material 3d even if it's only by looking into it
cliff has the trees up there, makes me feel very small yet somehow significant, the way nature works

chaos - looking for it but, not really no?
and i second the opinion that your enthusiasm is contagious!
what an incredibly varied post, thank you!

Bilateral
03-18-2018, 07:36 PM
These are all fantastically different and "fall" really does make me want to touch it. The colors have so much character....translucent, but rich.
BTW, you are very tidy :). Love watching your process unfold.

La_
03-18-2018, 08:27 PM
wow, thanks guys n gals, love your enthusiasms and that you like some of the result :)
I have no idea how i'm going to display some of them, like the drywall piece, oi. April's turning into a big blow out inventory sale so here's hoping it can become somebody else's problem :angel: I simply Have to get rid of some artworks somehow. Recession, Alberta oil war, lol, wish me luck 'cause i'm not optimistic.

Thanks again for the encouragements, and don't be fooled by the glimmer pic i've shared of my kitchen, the dining table and other countertops are complete chaos that nobody but me needs to see :eek:

la

Eraethil
03-18-2018, 11:30 PM
Hope your sales are super La! Enjoying seeing how your experimentation is going. Cheers!

KreativeK
03-19-2018, 08:58 AM
Oooh la la, La! Lovelies, each one! Your kitchen has been taken over. The cliff is probably my favorite. Bravo! Best of luck with your inventory sale!

Katie Black
03-19-2018, 12:13 PM
It looks like you had fun. I particularly like the earthy tones of Fall.

La_
03-19-2018, 02:29 PM
thanks rick, kay, kate :)

la

jimwhalen
03-20-2018, 10:01 AM
I'm really enjoying seeing you working outside your usual medium. Your experimentation with encaustic is exciting to see.

La_
03-20-2018, 01:29 PM
thanks, jim, getting more supplies this weekend so ... beware ;)

la