PDA

View Full Version : Easel recommendations?

Spike the Creator
03-17-2018, 03:40 PM
I want to get a easel that i can use to paint and draw life size works 5 to 7feet tall and my price budget is up to 150$. I was looking at the blick h frame easels both the medium and heavy duty easels. My cielings are 82 inches high i was wondering if the bottom shelf lowered to allow for that or should i look elsewhere? Or does anyone have any easels that would allow me to work 6 feet and be able to fit that height

theBongolian
03-17-2018, 03:49 PM
Have you considered working against a wall. They make wall easels or you can easily come up with a way of your own (as I do) to hold the support against the wall.

Spike the Creator
03-17-2018, 03:59 PM
I havent thought of or seen those before... hmmm im intrigued

Spike the Creator
03-17-2018, 04:00 PM
I do pin papers up against my wall to work that big but was hoping i could for having people pose for me use a easel

DaneelOlivaw
03-17-2018, 05:12 PM
I really don't know, as I'm not in North Americas - I don't know what stock you have access to.

I have a huge h-frame easel that does this - it was made by a local artist, now unfortunately deceased. The children sold it to me for a song, as they thought their Dad would prefer another artist to have it.

The bar lowers right down, but I have high ceilings, so never really looked. I'd assume they all lower sufficiently, but you'd have to investigate... I'm so sorry I can't help you.

I think the wall is a good option, but, as you say, difficult when using a model.

cliff.kachinske
03-17-2018, 05:43 PM
I have used a 6 foot stepladder with a pair of clamps to support the painting at the bottom.

A wooden ladder should be easy to modify with a bit of ingenuity.

My current easel is from Blick's. Bought it at the confluence of a sale and a discount coupon.

Spike the Creator
03-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Im not very hand but i shall check out the art store and if it wont work i can try :)

talisman
03-17-2018, 07:31 PM
Here's a photo of a Rue Wall Easel.
You should be able to make a version of this for not too much money.

theBongolian
03-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Google around for various artists that paint big and virtually all paint against the wall. Many just set the support on a couple paint cans and lean it against the wall.

I think at a certain point for big paintings the easel becomes problematic. A very wide canvas usually requires two easels set up side by side.

Something I considered once, but haven't tried - take two spring-loaded poles - like they use for pole lamps and make an H easel out of them. That way you could move it anywhere (that has a ceiling).

Colorado_Ed
03-18-2018, 06:55 PM
Yes, just prop that thing up against the wall. You’d need two easels if your painting is too wide...

old_hobbyist
03-18-2018, 07:54 PM
Yrs ago I converted a discarded stepladder into an easel that would accommodate 4 x 8 hardboard (either portrait or landscape).

Spike the Creator
03-19-2018, 02:59 AM
Went to blick and they had amazing sales so im gonna get both a french and the medium duty h frame for 160 total

fedetony
03-19-2018, 08:56 AM
I built my own for it to fit any size up to 2 m... It has a couple of things I could improve in it, yet until now has been practical and functional. I've used it for all my canvas paintings...

I Just saw how the easel was constructed and made my own for the size I needed. :)

ddattler
03-22-2018, 05:07 PM
I have a double mast H-frame multi angle easel that tips to horizontal angle like a table. 7 foot is 84" so you definitely need the angle for a big canvas. There are numerous manufacturers online. I got mine for around $150 a couple years ago. Dickblick.com and jerrysartarama.com sells some. They have regular sales that might get the price into your range.