PDA

View Full Version : associations, hooded WIP

ronsu18
03-15-2018, 09:07 AM
hi! another wip.

it's the hood.

once i've made a mistake, it's hard to see that place as neutral. the hood is a cover up attempt. there are impasto ridges that would melt in that round shape without effort.
in my mind the position of the head doesn't allow for interesting shapes, shadows, on the garment. it's difficult to experience the change in style that the hood brings. this is my version of a pastel by Odilon Redon, Le Cellule d'Or, if you don't know him think Modigliani.

this is called "Cobalt Mine".
what does the hood tell you? any associations? the size of it...?

this is a digi mock-up on a glare-infested photo. yes the moon is droopy i'll get to that and there's a weird stripe across the face, that's one ridge shaved. all pretty parts here are made by the camera matrix, all my good parts are destroyed by it. :o

KreativeK
03-15-2018, 10:11 AM
I like the primary colors in this mock up!

ronsu18
03-15-2018, 10:36 AM
hey thanks for commenting!
judging by your words the colors prevailed, no "anemic superhero" connotations or ick-slanted "portrait of a criminal" associations, or "yeayea spray cans just below frame" humour...
this should have been just simple, simple, simple and now i'm sketching neck seams in my head and contemplating fashion statements and who wears what and where.

Katie Black
03-15-2018, 11:54 AM
You have my attention :lol:

It's looking good and I'm curious to see your next move.

ronsu18
03-15-2018, 02:02 PM
:clear:
okay. two for two. no "cat burglar", no "...have to wash my plein air anorak".
beginning to feel the encouragement. puzzled encouragement.

thank you Katie Black!

La_
03-15-2018, 02:29 PM
bobsledder or skater praying/prepping for a race
[i don't watch the olympics, nor do i pray]
interps of story just are what they are
:)

la

ronsu18
03-15-2018, 03:02 PM
yes! thank you La!
it is there for some people, isn't it! a hood these days is not neutral.
for instance, "grown-ups only wear them when jogging".
the original inspiration by Redon is of the sacred and completely inward in meditation, mine is inward as in focus in the mundane but activity excluded.

2 - 1. hmm.

Bilateral
03-15-2018, 07:59 PM
A rapper, like Eminem, getting ready to rip. Taking a breath, lights at the side of the stage, hoping he doesn’t forget a verse....

ronsu18
03-15-2018, 08:53 PM
thank you Bilateral!
these words from another thread kept playing, "when in doubt trust your first instinct".
i had already decided to keep the horrific hair, which means sculpting a quarter of the image all over again. thanks for confirming!

Boafamily
03-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Looks like one getting ready for a nice run in the brisk air.

Eraethil
03-17-2018, 02:53 AM
Takes me to a fantasy place. The moon symbolizes magic for many, and the blue/green clothing looks to be a full length robe. Great start in terms of the shapes in the composition!

ronsu18
03-17-2018, 10:43 AM
thank you Boafamily, you add to something others pointed out that was new to me; there's a mood of preparation, moving forward, that comes with the hood.

thank you Eraethil! it's all about the large simple shapes and color, it felt good to hear them spoken about. i've spent my 10 000 hours three times over in all-consuming amateur film fanatics, actively and passively and that's showing. i can work with a frame, the challenge is everything else :)

graphicali
03-17-2018, 10:49 AM
As you can't see what is below the frame you could have many interpretations of the subject. It makes me think of someone who has suddenly realised how beautiful are the stones or leaves beneath their feet and is looking at them in wonder. I have often found myself doing just such a thing.

ronsu18
03-17-2018, 07:10 PM
graphicali humble thank you! it is a dream to be able to evoke compassion with this, you give me hope.

in reality :) work has started on the bad hair and its shape is now gone. the whole thing just took off, as per use in a beginner's hands. everything is shifting under corrections, the hair is completely glazed with bg red, face is temporarily out of shadow and suddenly looks like my aunt and so forth.
= endlessly exciting!