PDA

View Full Version : AboveBelow, a rather large canvas...

SavoySuit
03-14-2018, 05:14 PM
"AboveBelow", 2018, 270 x 300cm, Oil on Linen

The title refers to the idea of abstraction and figuration each containing elements of the other.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2018/1983364-AboveBelow.jpg

and for size context (installed in gallery in Montreal)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2018/1983364-abovebelow1.jpg

Boafamily
03-14-2018, 05:24 PM
This is a very moving piece and I could look at it for hours.

cliff.kachinske
03-14-2018, 08:39 PM
That is just mesmerizing. I agree with Boafamily.

SavoySuit
03-14-2018, 09:32 PM
thank you both! I'm glad you found something resonating

graphicali
03-15-2018, 03:37 AM
Nice work!

cmallav
03-15-2018, 09:51 AM
Stunning!

jimwhalen
03-15-2018, 10:00 AM
A very impressive and beautiful piece. :clap:

Can you tell us a bit about your technique?

KreativeK
03-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Beautiful array of compelling colors and design elements!

Katie Black
03-15-2018, 11:56 AM
very nice. It looks digital and yet you say its oil. Can you explain why that is?

Thanks.

La_
03-15-2018, 01:09 PM
ever enthralled with your abilities toward fine line detail

lovely controlled colourful chaos kind of comp

la

SavoySuit
03-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Thank you for the nice comments!

First, a little about technique:

It is based on drawing and improvisation. A little bit on photography, though it's really pretty far removed from it. I start by making at least a dozen small loose abstract sketches... thinking about shapes, lines and so on. I incorporate bits and pieces from some photo sources as well. Crucially I use a semi-opaque piece of reflective mylar to provide inspiration for the weird looking distorted shapes... so I draw down what I see as I manipulate the mylar. I have, over time, created an extensive library of forms both on paper, in memory, and sometimes through photo documentation.
Eventually I get started on the large canvas, and base my drawing on the sketches. It's quite open ended and a lot of improvisation happens throughout the painting process. Some areas are quite textured, something that doesn't show in these photos. It's overall quite loose, not too finicky... thus allowing for a natural evolution of form.

As for the digital relation: A couple people here and there have mentioned some similarity to a digital look... I'm still not quite sure what they mean (I would have no idea how to do this digitally, but anyway. Mine is all created manually, so if you want... I seem to have manually made an accidentally digital looking work. Keep in mind that in person it won't look too digital (texture, brushstrokes ans so on). In all seriousness, this image can't exist digitally as the whole process is so layered and so completely based in painting itself... that any attempt would be quite different.

hmshood5
03-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Feeling warm on a cold day looking at this. Reminds me of a jungle scene!

Bilateral
03-15-2018, 07:50 PM
This is my favorite of the pieces you have posted. It has excellent balance and flow and the brushwork is exquisite. You have taken that “funhouse mirror”quality of yours and expanded it to the full canvas, while also giving it the feeling of paint pouring. All this in oils at a grand scale....superb.
My words are woefully inadequate.

SavoySuit
03-16-2018, 10:01 AM
thanks! There seems to be a lot of paint pouring going on these days. It's surely a pleasing effect, but the lack of control makes it feel less creative to me. I tend to want to structure my paintings in a way that's much more specific and intended... yet retaining some elements of surprise (such as what you might get in something poured)

Trier
03-16-2018, 05:21 PM
What a wonderful, intriguing work of art!

It must have a powerful presence in the gallery and be a joy to study the original at length.

Your description of your technique is very interesting and much appreciated.

I also agree with your thoughts on pouring.

Since you appear to be based,or near, Montreal where Kama Pigments is located, I wonder if you have ever given consideration to using their Oil Sticks in your works and what your thoughts about that are?

Thanks for posting this painting.

Regards,
Trier

john
03-16-2018, 09:32 PM
Amazing work. Like a landscape in a wormhole. A logical assemblage impossibly put together.

Thanks for sharing.

Eraethil
03-17-2018, 03:03 AM
A wonderfully dense and improvisational piece. Love it.

As someone who has used pouring techniques for a long time and will continue to use them, I actually agree with your comment about pouring. The key to really effective poured painting is developing techniques that provide means of control. (e.g. Bruce Riley, Arthur Brouthers)

SavoySuit
03-17-2018, 12:26 PM
What a wonderful, intriguing work of art!

It must have a powerful presence in the gallery and be a joy to study the original at length.

Your description of your technique is very interesting and much appreciated.

I also agree with your thoughts on pouring.

Since you appear to be based,or near, Montreal where Kama Pigments is located, I wonder if you have ever given consideration to using their Oil Sticks in your works and what your thoughts about that are?

Thanks for posting this painting.

Regards,
Trier

Hi, thanks!

Yes, I am based in Montreal and Kama is indeed the best store in the city. I haven't actually tried their oil sticks though... maybe I should? I've tried many of their other products...

Trier
03-19-2018, 07:14 PM
Hey SavoySuit -

Thanks for the reply -

You might find a really different experience if you give a few sticks of their Oils a try. Since you are able to pick up just two or three sticks at their store without the hassle and shipping expense of the on line ordering and minimums, it would be worth a try just to see how different they are.

I would bet that their imprecision would be a major handicap for your style of painting, judging by what you have posted so far. If you manage to cope with that, I would really like to know how you did it, or whatever.

I am trying them now, as you probably have guessed.

Regards,
Trier

SavoySuit
03-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Hey SavoySuit -

Thanks for the reply -

You might find a really different experience if you give a few sticks of their Oils a try. Since you are able to pick up just two or three sticks at their store without the hassle and shipping expense of the on line ordering and minimums, it would be worth a try just to see how different they are.

I would bet that their imprecision would be a major handicap for your style of painting, judging by what you have posted so far. If you manage to cope with that, I would really like to know how you did it, or whatever.

I am trying them now, as you probably have guessed.

Regards,
Trier

thanks! Handicaps are generally a good thing, I find. So I may very well give this a shot :)

trufflecat
03-22-2018, 03:44 PM
Somehow I missed this one before. Quite magnificent!

KramNos
03-22-2018, 11:42 PM
So impressive. Even in a photo on my phone. Wish I could see it in person.

Technical question: it looks like there’s a seam. Is it two canvases?

SavoySuit
03-24-2018, 11:57 AM
So impressive. Even in a photo on my phone. Wish I could see it in person.

Technical question: it looks like there’s a seam. Is it two canvases?

Yes, it's done on 2 canvases. It's really just for the sake of practicality.