PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on warm-up paintings?

bookat
03-13-2018, 09:24 PM
Hey! I'm wondering if anyone out there does warm-up paintings? If so, do you do them daily, or prior to working on a painting?

Bonus question...how do you store/maintain them? In a sketchbook? Canvas boards? Loose sheets of mixed-media or canvas paper?

:)

Mayfly
03-13-2018, 10:10 PM
Hi bookat - welcome too.

Yes at times, and wishing daily, I will try some warm up stuff with no intention of it going somewhere yet, as a result, I find myself having something to work with to the end. In some cases, I just throw left over paint on paper that yields some really interesting opportunities to further work as warm up. I am learning to not fear the bin which is good advice for a painter.
Check this out:

https://www.artistsnetwork.com/art-mediums/watercolor/getting-trashed/

As to storage, well that is my shortfall at the moment. I have multiple layers of mainly paper, some canvas, and few boards swarming around me in my painting area ready to attack. Not a pretty sight. So I will be interested to hear ideas.

Hope I answered in part your questions. Cheers

fedetony
03-14-2018, 05:15 AM
I'm always in warm-up mode :D... I experiment with many pieces, different styles and ways to use the materials, I normally have a parallel piece where I do this experiments when I am insecure to apply it directly to my work and in the end it becomes a piece of its own... :)

old_hobbyist
03-14-2018, 10:35 AM
all my ptgs are warm-ups and most are paint-overs!

talisman
03-14-2018, 10:51 AM
I don't do warm ups but I do experiments, sometimes.
I usually have 2-3 paintings going at a time, so working on rough fill or background on one and fine details on another.

bookat
03-14-2018, 08:59 PM
I'm always in warm-up mode :D... I experiment with many pieces, different styles and ways to use the materials, I normally have a parallel piece where I do this experiments when I am insecure to apply it directly to my work and in the end it becomes a piece of its own... :)

That's a really neat idea to have a "parallel" piece! Couldn't that get expensive tho...since you're kind of doing a duplicate of a painting? I guess the masters did lots of duplicates...I'm just too frugal for that I suppose! :lol:

I also love that idea of "always being in warm-up mode"! That's such a good attitude to have, and it takes a lot of the pressure off (pressure that it HAS to be perfect right off the bat).

thanks for the comments everyone.

talisman
03-14-2018, 10:26 PM
Every painting you learn something and you can bring that to the next one.

tiago.dagostini
03-15-2018, 05:25 AM
Usually do some sketching at newsprint with conté to warm up.

Colorado_Ed
03-15-2018, 12:39 PM
Like exercising, I should do warm-up paintings more...

cliff.kachinske
03-15-2018, 02:23 PM
Nope. Sometimes I will do a small preliminary study, but I'm usually just winging it.

oldnmartist
03-15-2018, 02:48 PM
I like to start somewhere that is not as critical when warming up, and tackle the more challenging areas when I have loosened up. I believe there is definitely a warm up period, just like almost anything else.

dave woody
03-15-2018, 08:08 PM
I never ever consider painting the same thing twice, trying to make another one that would be better..etc.

My friend Milton Grubert is an accomplished artist with history and reputation and I asked him, as a Pro, for his insight into why I only ever have the intent to paint just once.

His reply made perfect sense, suggesting that elaborating on a picture again and again is...... 'work'.
.....he was SO right. I paint for fun.....not for any other reason.

cliff.kachinske
03-15-2018, 09:00 PM
If you're after photo-realistic effects, it probably would be work. But if you're using the reference as a point of departure for a free interpretation, then subsequent works based on the same reference can be as much fun as the first.

dave woody
03-16-2018, 06:12 PM
If you're after photo-realistic effects, it probably would be work. But if you're using the reference as a point of departure for a free interpretation, then subsequent works based on the same reference can be as much fun as the first.

That makes sense.

talisman
03-17-2018, 07:48 PM
I haven't done any re-dos, yet.
However I have several ideas that I keep waiting for my skills to come up to the level that idea needs.

fedetony
03-18-2018, 07:34 AM
That's a really neat idea to have a "parallel" piece! Couldn't that get expensive tho...since you're kind of doing a duplicate of a painting? I guess the masters did lots of duplicates...I'm just too frugal for that I suppose! :lol:

I also love that idea of "always being in warm-up mode"! That's such a good attitude to have, and it takes a lot of the pressure off (pressure that it HAS to be perfect right off the bat).

thanks for the comments everyone.
I do not do a duplicate, I just try on it color mixes or blends, or if I need a sharp edge how to do it, so I do it properly on my piece. Is the same experimental one for different pieces, when is ready I finish it. For example instead of throwing away a mixed paint rest I have from the session, I just apply it in there, then I don't waste paint either :)...

BTW, its never going to be perfect, nature is perfect, mine is only a representation. So no pressure for that at all. We are making art :)

bookat
03-18-2018, 04:40 PM
I do not do a duplicate, I just try on it color mixes or blends, or if I need a sharp edge how to do it, so I do it properly on my piece. Is the same experimental one for different pieces, when is ready I finish it. For example instead of throwing away a mixed paint rest I have from the session, I just apply it in there, then I don't waste paint either :)...

BTW, its never going to be perfect, nature is perfect, mine is only a representation. So no pressure for that at all. We are making art :)

Cool. That's clever, and does take the pressure off. This week I set up a little canvas below my easel, mainly to scrape off the paint remains from my brush and palette, but I will explore using it as a practice/experimenting space.

Basteth
03-22-2018, 09:27 PM

This is just the answer I need right now. I have a piece that I'm a bit scared to work on at the moment, I'm worried I'll stuff it up but having a parallel piece could be the solution. I have a bunch of small mdf boards I glued fabric on as my practice boards but I haven't been using them lately as the last couple of practices I did I regretted not doing them on the larger proper canvases because I really liked them and couldn't replicate them exactly. So the next few I did straight on canvas but now I'm stuck so I think I might use some of them for this purpose as they are cheap enough to make.

So thank you so much for this idea!