PDA

View Full Version : Amish woman with scooter

john
03-12-2018, 12:05 AM
Just finished this. Might still tweak something after I look at it for a while.

Oil 9.5 x 11 inches on mdf

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2018/2494-amish_woman.jpg

La_
03-12-2018, 03:29 AM
the bottom right quadrant is phenomenal!

la

cmallav
03-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Very nice! If I may suggest can you add some contrast to her face or around it so that she stands out? At first glance I couldn't tell where the woman was...maybe it's my eyes.

KreativeK
03-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Very nice landscape with a figure scene and agree her face needs definition as its value is lost, melting into the surrounding colors of fence and grass.

Artchrispy
03-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Looking good John. That scooter looks like a hard subject. Nice touches adding the horse and black cat.

Katie Black
03-12-2018, 07:09 PM
It's lovely, I really like it.

john
03-14-2018, 01:09 AM
Thanks everyone.

Yeah the face.....partly because the Amish do not like photos of themselves.

partly because I've been into the Les Nabis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Nabis) movement, many of those faces are quite blank, and partly because the reference photo shows very little.

but for aesthetics it could use more definition and maybe some warming of the skin tone.

This is based on a photo I took during a tour of the Pennsylvania Amish country. One of those lucky catches. And the cat was there! The lower right quandrant wasn't. I had fun with this painting and with learning more about how to use oil. I'm pretty psyched about this oil paint stuff.

Thanks again guys.

birdhs
03-14-2018, 10:29 AM
I hesitated commenting on this piece because I actually am not fond of it.

But I thought I would my humble (and not professional) opinion.
The composition itself has fine elements, but they seem imbalanced, fighting with each other.
the colors are ok, but seem a bit too similar in chroma, each crying out for attention.
the fence color is too close to her face color, perhaps a weathered grayish might keep her in the COI.
Too blue a sea, a little more shading on the belly of the horse would help it stand out.
a bit of brightness/reflections on the glass panes might keep the eyes from being drawn to such a dark space.
The stone work on the barn is spectacular, as is the garden.
the grass seems a bit blackish.

This crit is based on a leaning for this to be a more realistic painting than perhaps you perceived. Traditional paintings, balanced and with a traditional COI are what I was wanting. Modern pieces often break rules. I am not sure which side of the Style this falls in to.

greggo

laf.art
03-14-2018, 12:39 PM
I can't decide what I want to say so I'll pop back later

john
03-14-2018, 03:33 PM
I hesitated commenting on this piece because I actually am not fond of it.

But I thought I would my humble (and not professional) opinion.
The composition itself has fine elements, but they seem imbalanced, fighting with each other.
the colors are ok, but seem a bit too similar in chroma, each crying out for attention.
the fence color is too close to her face color, perhaps a weathered grayish might keep her in the COI.
Too blue a sea, a little more shading on the belly of the horse would help it stand out.
a bit of brightness/reflections on the glass panes might keep the eyes from being drawn to such a dark space.
The stone work on the barn is spectacular, as is the garden.
the grass seems a bit blackish.

This crit is based on a leaning for this to be a more realistic painting than perhaps you perceived. Traditional paintings, balanced and with a traditional COI are what I was wanting. Modern pieces often break rules. I am not sure which side of the Style this falls in to.

greggo

Wow, thanks for the detailed crit greggo! I basically agree with everything you said. I must say that the colors are not as saturated and bright irl. That's the main problem I see on this posted pic. It is a little garish here.

The face and/or background of needs changing. The "sea" is distant hills saturated-up as per the impressionists. The window is supposed to draw attention. I meant to make an obvious cross - a Christian symbol, also echoed on the scooter. I wonder if anyone has seen that, or the possible butterfly the cat is looking at. I hope the earth on the bag is clear. The horse may be one step too far.

Your crit about the style, abstract vs realist is spot on and one reason that this painting is perhaps a little awkward. The Nabis made no attempt at realism so that way of looking was taken off of the table right away. On this one I sort of mixed it up a little which makes it a little disjointed and confusing as to style.

I would like this to be seen as modern and breaking rules while also pathetically paying some homage to the Nabis, symbolists and cloisonnists. Cloisonism in that each quadrant can be seen on it's own. Divided. Probably a better term. Divisionist?

Thanks for making me really think about it. I guess I should just do rock walls and flowers all over the painting :)

john
03-14-2018, 04:56 PM
I made some changes to her face, the fence, the horse and this is a taller crop which may or may not be better. And I think the colors are closer to real life now. Still too yellow. I guess I need to tackle photoshop.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2018/2494-amish-001.jpg

birdhs
03-14-2018, 09:55 PM
John, this looks much better. It seems more in balance.

I still read it as a "sea" because it is blue rather than the smoky misty gray-brownish-blue of the Blue Ridge Mountains around here.

Thanks for the explanations, I looked up Nabis and Cloissone, and I sense the influence. The woman is much clearer now. I actually like the painting now.

Please never take just one thing you think you did well, the lower quadrant, and stick with it. You would be a boring painter. Keep exploring and challenging yourself. You are a fine artist.

greggo

john
03-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Thanks greggo. Glad you like it now.

I'm starting to dislike the yellow house side. It's too aggressive and forward. I'm considering changing it. Maybe glazing some white over it.

birdhs
03-15-2018, 10:13 PM
I would glaze over it with purplishness, just to gently soften it down

HobbyG33k
03-15-2018, 11:11 PM
I don't knw a thing about Oil Painting and I just popped by testing out the Boards cause the first link didn't work.
So this is the very FIRST thing I've seen on WetCanvass here.
But this was just so Beautiful and Cute I just HAD to comment.
I LOVE the rocks that you did and the contrasting plants in front of the rocks that make up the house.
I also love the little kitty down in the middle of the picture, near the bottom.
And I also love the sort of tongue in cheek joke, an Amish Woman on a Scooter, of all things! lol!
Overall I probably shouldn't be commenting cause I have NO Clue about Oils, and Painting on Wood or MDF Board (I've heard of it, in my Art Catalogues) but it was so lovely and such a treat, I think you did an excellent job and I LOVE it. But that's just my opinion and not a critique which I'm not sure if you were looking for a critique or not. *blush!*

john
03-16-2018, 12:08 AM
Yeah that's a good idea Greggo. I had been thinking about that - purple as the compliment color to tone it down. But then I forgot about what I was thinking. Thanks for giving me the idea again. :)

HobbyG -Thanks so much! That makes me so happy to hear. :) Welcome to WC !

The scooter is not a joke but I can see how it might seem that way. They use specially made kick scooters with no motors. They consider even bicycles too modern/worldly as you probably know. The amazing thing is this woman went kicking to the store and back with these groceries on that scooter, and the store is pretty far away.

Thanks again, you made my day. :)