PDA

View Full Version : Secret Message

Bilateral
03-09-2018, 08:06 PM
Acrylics on canvas, 40 x 60 inches, WIP C&C always welcomed.

More worked with knotted rope. This time small diameter hemp stapled onto an 18-inch length of quarter round baseboard trim, pushing and scrubbing at the paint in different directions. Sort of like the possibilities and think I can vary the marks more with how I lay down the blobs of paint on the canvas. Percolating on whether it is done or not.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2018/1982718-010_-_600.jpg

KreativeK
03-09-2018, 10:37 PM
It looks complete to me, very nice!

graphicali
03-10-2018, 05:14 AM
I like these colours. It is interesting watching your explorations of this technique. I wonder what effect you would get if you sprayed paint through a clump of string laid on the canvas or paper.

cmallav
03-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Pleasant to the eyes, great details, interesting technique. This looks done to me!

cliff.kachinske
03-10-2018, 12:59 PM
The marks interest me and I like the way the colors play.

The structure emerges when I step back a bit; it all comes together. That's not a criticism, just the way the painting works for me.

mudar
03-10-2018, 02:11 PM
I loved the name
I'm always looking for space when i look, but of course there is no space in your work, I do not know why i do that?, I'm not a critic but I think the reason is culture, my culture
I loved the colors and loved how they covered each other in a way that suggested vagueness

Bilateral
03-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Kay and Chaya, thanks very much. It is close, but something indefinable is missing. For now I've added a few salmon-ish colored bits to hopefully provide a little more dimension. Waiting for good natural light to see if that does the trick.

Bilateral
03-10-2018, 08:31 PM
I like these colours. It is interesting watching your explorations of this technique. I wonder what effect you would get if you sprayed paint through a clump of string laid on the canvas or paper.

Spraying would probably leave some very interesting marks.......yet undoubtedly I would feel compelled to "work" them somehow.... Definitely an experiment worth trying. Thanks for sharing the idea :).

Bilateral
03-10-2018, 08:34 PM
The marks interest me and I like the way the colors play.

The structure emerges when I step back a bit; it all comes together. That's not a criticism, just the way the painting works for me.

I agree, distance works. Thanks for noticing. It was backing off a ways and viewing that revealed the title.

Bilateral
03-10-2018, 08:37 PM
I loved the name
I'm always looking for space when i look, but of course there is no space in your work, I do not know why i do that?, I'm not a critic but I think the reason is culture, my culture
I loved the colors and loved how they covered each other in a way that suggested vagueness

Thank you very much. On the rare occasions where I leave space, invariably the work isn't completely satisfying and I go back at it. I notice you don't leave space in your work either. You fill the space with color and intensity. Very appealing.

Boafamily
03-11-2018, 08:08 AM
The dark areas look like an encoded message or phrase.😀

jimwhalen
03-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Distance makes this piece come together for me. I also see the dark area as asemic writing or glyphics which pulls me in to search for more hidden meaning. At 40x60 inches, this must be very impressive IRL.

ronsu18
03-11-2018, 09:38 AM
in this p h o t o
the low right is lighter, and pulls my eye in a way that is not serving the painting.
if you divide the painting evenly with two lines in both directions, the crossing lowest right is sort of beckoning me, but without payoff.
i'd dabble digitally if the thing even is there, this is so complete.

mudar
03-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Thank you very much. On the rare occasions where I leave space, invariably the work isn't completely satisfying and I go back at it. I notice you don't leave space in your work either. You fill the space with color and intensity. Very appealing.
ahh, I think the issue is psychological, even in the way how we see space or maybe your view is a contemporary view :wink2:

Katie Black
03-11-2018, 07:13 PM
I like it but I don't think it is quite there.

It doesn't have that eye-popping vibrancy and excitement which most of your work has.

Bilateral
03-12-2018, 06:02 PM
The dark areas look like an encoded message or phrase.😀

They do, or a number of messages, depending on the color one stares at. Alas, I have no translation.

Bilateral
03-12-2018, 06:05 PM
Distance makes this piece come together for me. I also see the dark area as asemic writing or glyphics which pulls me in to search for more hidden meaning. At 40x60 inches, this must be very impressive IRL.

Thanks Jim. As I was amping up some of the color, I made an effort to keep that feeling. The final version (famous last words) is further down this thread.
Definitely best IRL.

Bilateral
03-12-2018, 06:09 PM
in this p h o t o
the low right is lighter, and pulls my eye in a way that is not serving the painting.
if you divide the painting evenly with two lines in both directions, the crossing lowest right is sort of beckoning me, but without payoff.
i'd dabble digitally if the thing even is there, this is so complete.

Thanks Ronsu18. The variation is glare in the lower right due to location of the light source. IRL it isn't visible. Luckily :lol:

Bilateral
03-12-2018, 06:21 PM
I like it but I don't think it is quite there.

It doesn't have that eye-popping vibrancy and excitement which most of your work has.

Definitely agree Katie. The scrubbing technique pushes the paint out into very thin layers and the periwinkle blue-ish color cooled everything. Nothing was popping except the black. Tried salmon, but too insipid, so I went with a pyrrole orange in gel medium for more of an impasto look. Happier, but still thinking. Light changes this piece remarkably. Anyways...........here is where I'm at now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2018/1982718-012_-_600.jpg

ronsu18
03-14-2018, 08:44 PM
:clap:
it connected, no delay, all of it.

Katie Black
03-15-2018, 11:58 AM
You could easily stop here as in my opinion its good. But, I have seen what you are capable off and you could push it even further.

Bilateral
03-15-2018, 08:08 PM
You could easily stop here as in my opinion its good. But, I have seen what you are capable off and you could push it even further.

I will let sit for a while, because I do want to push, but am waiting to decide how. In the meantime, a small section of this gave me an idea that Iím working on. Might be ready to show in a few days.