PDA

View Full Version : "Patoka View"

it'sALLart
03-09-2018, 09:58 AM
Hello... here's a small landscape, 16 x 20, acrylic... Cheers!

Grampy
03-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Lovely job.
Steve

Charlie's Mum
03-10-2018, 08:24 AM
It's interesting that you keep changing/exploring different styles Keith and wonder what, about a subject, makes you choose the style of painting.

I like this soft, impressionistic style of technique but with a more formal division of the picture plane as in Pointillism.

I do like the painting!:)

it'sALLart
03-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Thanks Steve, for checking this out!

Maureen, I have done quite a few in this pointillism/impressionism style, here is another one I painted a couple years back:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2018/29434-fishingcampWC.jpg

In general, I tend to circle back around thru about 5 styles overall: realism, what I call my "storybook" style, abstract, expressionist and this style.

I actually used to work in this style years ago and recently began doing it again, but with more square-tipped brushes for a more modern look. There's a certain amount of old-world "charm" that I think specific scenes call for. Both this painting and the Patoka are from my imagination, so when I start working out the painting, I make a decision for the style once the basic layout is done. Here's a pic of what the landscape started out like:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2018/29434-patoka1WC.jpg

As you can see, it's rather mundane, but I can "see" what I think might develop at this point and then it takes on a life of it's own. And you can see clearly the picture plane's division lines here as well, establishing foreground, mid-ground, lake, distant hills, sky... also establishing the tonality at the same time, which shows throw the paint strokes and gives the picture it's overall coloration. I generally start out very loose like this and let the picture show me where it wants to go. Thank you for your interest! :)

LavenderFrost
03-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Nice work. And interesting to see how you start.

it'sALLart
03-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Thank you so much, Michelle!

tmwilliams
03-10-2018, 04:38 PM
I like the impressionist feel - I may try something along these lines. Thanks for the inspiration!

it'sALLart
03-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Glad to have been an inspiration, TM! That's great! Hope to see what you create.

vmrs
03-10-2018, 07:21 PM
That's lovely!

Margaret 59
03-10-2018, 08:08 PM
The painting looks gentle and dreamy. I like this.