PDA

View Full Version : Glossy fluid acrylics

Richard P
03-08-2018, 06:45 PM
I have some Golden Fluid and High Flow acrylics, as well as some AV acrylic goache. The goache are very matte (as expected) whilst the Golden ones have a different level of matte-glossy based on the pigments used.

Is there a range of fluid acrylics that is glossy across all the colours? I like to use the matte and glossy ones for different purposes. :)

Thanks,
Richard

Richard P
03-09-2018, 12:28 PM
No one?

Dcam
03-09-2018, 02:12 PM
Hi Richard. I don't like the paint dictating how my surface will be whether matte, satin or gloss. I especially dislike a very glossy paint as very often it can cause a glare when I paint.
So how do I control my surface? It is all in the final varnish. It is, after all, the varnish that brings it all together visually as well as protecting.

theBongolian
03-09-2018, 02:12 PM
I have some Golden Fluid and High Flow acrylics, as well as some AV acrylic goache. The goache are very matte (as expected) whilst the Golden ones have a different level of matte-glossy based on the pigments used.

Is there a range of fluid acrylics that is glossy across all the colours? I like to use the matte and glossy ones for different purposes. :)

Thanks,
Richard
You can make matt colors glossy by adding gloss medium.

theBongolian
03-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Hi Richard. I don't like the paint dictating how my surface will be whether matte, satin or gloss. I especially dislike a very glossy paint as very often it can cause a glare when I paint.
So how do I control my surface? It is all in the final varnish. It is, after all, the varnish that brings it all together visually as well as protecting.
what product do you use as the final varnis?

Dcam
03-09-2018, 02:28 PM
I use liquitex, Golden, Atelier.
Sometimes soluvar spray. I have quite an arsenal.I really am an acrylic freak.

I remember entering a show and my painting was terribly glossy. I used liquitex matte varnish and was very pleased. The painting won an award.

Patrick1
03-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Richard,
Tri Art Finest Liquid are the glossiest acrylics I've ever come across. Their gloss level varies by pigment, but on average they seem to be even glossier than Golden Fluids. All the organic colors are high gloss from what I can tell. The heavy metal colors and earth colors are less glossy as you'd expect. Their pigmentation level is equally high as Golden Fluids but they are a bit thicker.

Sennelier Abstract acrylics also have a few colors in high gloss finish, but these are heavy body acrylics according to the description. I never tried them yet, so I can't vouch for their quality yet. Hope to soon.

I personally love the oil-like look I get using high gloss acrylics...whether the entire artwork, or with natural gloss variations within the artwork.

Richard P
03-09-2018, 06:47 PM
I use liquitex, Golden, Atelier.
Sometimes soluvar spray. I have quite an arsenal.I really am an acrylic freak.

I remember entering a show and my painting was terribly glossy. I used liquitex matte varnish and was very pleased. The painting won an award.

Thank you all for your answers. This is why I would like to use glossy paints because I can add one layer of matte or satin varnish at the end and not have layers of matt paints which have more colour shift when dry and all the layers of matting agents in the way.

Does that make sense? :)