PDA

View Full Version : replacements in boxes of 4 to 6

bill hansen
03-04-2018, 10:08 AM
I've been using a few different kinds of soft and semi-hard pastels including Mungyo, Rembrandt, and a few sticks of Unison, Great American, etc. Recently I needed to order some replacement sticks, and I was surprised to see that for many brands, individual sticks are no longer available from Jarry's or Dakota. Other brands (Terry Ludwig, Schminke, Unison, etc) are available only as special sets, or in boxes of 4 to 6 sticks of an individual color. I wrote to Jerry's about this, and they wrote back that they will no longer sell individual sticks, but only boxes of multiple sticks "because that's the way they come through to us".

It's not so easy for an occasional pastelist to afford 4 to six sticks of each replacement (or additional) color they need. Am is missing something about how to order individual sticks?

I realize that from Blick, Rembrandts are still available as individual sticks, and other brands such as Mount Vision, Art Spectrum, and Caran d'Ache can be ordered individually. But just in the past few days, Rembrandt has been limited to boxes of 4 sticks of an individual color at Jerrys, so I'm wondering if all brands are going that way, from all distributors.

DAK723
03-04-2018, 10:35 AM
It looks like Dakota and Fine Art Store sell individual sticks and those have always been my go-to recommendations. You mention that Dakota no longer sells them. I didn't try to buy any, but the "buy individual stick" link seems to be active on each page of the brands they sell (except Ludwig, which needs to be purchased directly from Ludwig). FineArtStore.com has 15 brands listed under their "Open Stock" page. If you try Dakota, let us know if you have any luck buying open stock.

Don

bill hansen
03-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Thanks very much! Somehow, I completely missed this. I'll definitely order from Dakota.