PDA

View Full Version : Glazed Skunk Cabbage

Eliz
07-12-2001, 08:22 PM
Here's a little glazing study I did (7x10). I'm nerving myself up to do a full sheet skunk cabbage, on Arches 300lb, and I'm trying to decide colors and technique.

Javier
07-12-2001, 08:51 PM
Eliz, in the painting, "Glazed Skunk Cabbage", I like the contrast between the subject and the background, and I very much like your choices of colors.

The Best,

majaya
07-12-2001, 09:00 PM
Beautiful colours. I like the way the light has drawn you into the centre of the cabbage behind the leaves and then up to the texture at the top. I thought the strip of light at the bottom pulled you out of the work and I preferred it when I drew a line at that point and eliminated that section. How did you create that texture by the way?? Mary

Eliz
07-13-2001, 02:28 AM
I agree the backlit triangle at the bottom is pulling attention away from the focal point. Since this was a study, I was trying to fit in every technique I would need in the full painting, even though it doesn't fit this composition. Now that I've seen how the backlighting turned out, I may darken the triangle.

I painted this in three main layers: azo yellow, permanent carmine, and cobalt blue, letting it dry between each color. (This gave some really weird looking intermediate stages :)) Then I fine-tuned particular leaves with additional glazes of these colors, plus a little viridian. For the rock, I mottled each layer with wet-on-wet, blotting, and a little dry brush. The over-lapping gave the odd textures.

I'm just starting a new study with a purple under painting, this should be fun!

Leaflin
07-13-2001, 07:52 AM
I love your colours!
This painting is almost dancing.

T-Rex
07-13-2001, 08:13 AM
Hi Eliz:)

Love this technique, you should be pleased w/ your final outcome it really glows....good for you! Guess you pretty much know a skunk cabbage inside and out (I remember the masa)......Karen

JeffG
07-13-2001, 09:15 AM
Finally skunk cabbage gets some respect. Nice painting.

Rod
07-13-2001, 05:25 PM
Great choice of colours and nice shapes in the composition, works well. The bottom triangular shape does distract from the main focal point as it is the lightest shade in the painting. Just glaze over and make that area darker than the focal point tone,
Rod.

Rosebud
07-13-2001, 08:56 PM
Beautiful !:clap:

Love that deep rich background.

Rosebud