PDA

View Full Version : Working Title: Love's Cosmic Dynamo

Eraethil
02-28-2018, 02:40 AM
Something new for me stylistically. Actually, I'm finding that nothing in the studio is going exactly where or how I want it to lately, so everything is new and not quite satisfying yet. This one is on the way to some nearby destination I think I am going to like. :crossfingers:

36" x 36" mixed media (mostly acrylic) on wood panel

I'm especially interested in hearing what you think isn't working or could be changed for the better, but hey, a balanced critique is fine too. Help me out folks and be honest!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2018/104815-WIP_2018-1_WEB.jpg

Boafamily
02-28-2018, 07:19 AM
Rick I don't like telling creatives how to do what is inside of them, so I will simply say I feel some darkness around the crescent moon lighter parts will really push the yellowish/orange areas even more if that is what you were shooting for in this piece.

KreativeK
02-28-2018, 09:21 AM
It's perfect Rick and would fit into any décor. No critique.

Katie Black
02-28-2018, 11:35 AM
I think it is looking very good.

The one area that I think is not really working well enough is the very top area. I'm thinking that the light blue daubs could do to be darker to support the rest of the painting.

Eraethil
02-28-2018, 08:36 PM
Thanks Anthony Kay and Katie. Appreciate your comments and critique very much. The line up with my own concerns, so thank you very much for the confirmation!

john
02-28-2018, 09:13 PM
I think it's great as is but Katie may be right about that top area. Tough call. Cool painting.

Eraethil
03-01-2018, 12:30 AM
Thanks John!

cmallav
03-01-2018, 08:35 AM
Rick, I like it the way it is. I would say revisit it after a few days and see if you still have the need to change

graphicali
03-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Difficult to judge without seeing it in real life. The top blue does look a tiny bit too bright, but it might just be because my tablet always seems to bump up the blue. It is only marginally brighter. The painting is very good and Chaya's advice is good, wait a couple of days and revisit it then.

Bilateral
03-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Love seeing new ideas and this is really moving in a great direction. Superb colors, interesting shapes. It is probably the area right around the crescent sunburst that distracts. The capsule shapes from above repeat, but very polite colors, almost like shadows. I'm not sure it fits, yet appreciate avoiding competition with the sunburst shape.
You will figure out where you want to go. I like the concept, completely :clap:

Artchrispy
03-03-2018, 09:43 AM
I like it. You have a lot of high contrast areas and a variety of colors and a break in the surface texture. The composition risked leading the eye out of the plane due to the center of the sun being cropped out down the center, but it doesn't do that and it worked out great. I like the 'wagon wheel' sun design.

trufflecat
03-03-2018, 10:44 AM
I like the color choices and balance, and the composition is very interesting. As to the wheel hub being over at the edge, I can't decide if that's disconcerting or good, as it would seem to act as the COI. I think it works!

Eraethil
03-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Thanks Chaya and Graphicali. Good advice!

Thanks Christopher. for your analysis. Much appreciated!

Thanks Susan! I decided yesterday that it isn't quite working yet. Will be shifting the viewer's eye around the painting a little more and toning down the visual interest above the white crescent if I am successful in studio today.

This forum is great for composition feedback. Thanks again everyone!