PDA

View Full Version : Palette Knife Experiment

Artchrispy
02-25-2018, 09:55 AM
Hi The bridge , water and far bank were all done with a palette knife. The drawing part of the painting is atrocious but the relative thicknesses of the paint give in a nice 3d look irl. I've gone too far to correct, the paint skin is so rough I can't even add any defined line. I did learn a cool technique to do the water with a knife . This looks better from further away so please back up. crits welcome. thanks for looking
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Feb-2018/131690-22.jpg

saje
02-25-2018, 10:53 AM
excellent, quite expressive, like the depth

Hairy wolf
02-25-2018, 10:57 AM
Hey, unlike anything Iíve seen from you before. Very nicely done!
However, I think that the first arch (bottom left) is not drawn properly and makes the whole bridge seem angular.

Boafamily
02-25-2018, 11:57 AM
I love the textured build up 3D effect.

Katie Black
02-25-2018, 12:27 PM
Archcripsy...You are correct in that it looks even better from a distance. :thumbsup:

I love knife work and I think this is an excellent start/experiment, of which you are obviously a natural.

Perhaps with the next one it might be an idea to use your knife throughout the whole painting and not just in certain areas.

cliff.kachinske
02-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Good knife work. Good ellipses - hard to do.

birdhs
02-25-2018, 02:50 PM
As an experiment it is a great success.
What you learned is a valuable lesson.
no, the drawing and composition are flawed
BUT
the knife work is quite interesting and attractive.

My experiments with knife work taught me to start at the upper left and work across and down. Kept my hands cleaner.
Frequent pauses, to step back and analyse, gave me time to fix things before the acrylics hardened. Too late once it has set.

good stuff, eager to see more.

greggo

La_
02-25-2018, 05:54 PM
nice smoothness in the background, is this acrylics? if so you must have worked very quickly!

la

KreativeK
02-25-2018, 06:16 PM
It is nicely done and bravo to you for experimenting and learning.

Eraethil
02-26-2018, 12:41 AM
The knife work is doing a great job of pulling the foreground towards the viewer. Well done!

Artchrispy
02-26-2018, 07:38 AM
Thanks everyone. I must admit Ive used a knife before but only for small applications like roof lines, tree trunks, etc. Never for the majority of a painting

My experiments with knife work taught me to start at the upper left and work across and down. Kept my hands cleaner.
greggo
Great Tip Greggo. Ill keep that in mind.

Hey, unlike anything Iíve seen from you before. Very nicely done!
However, I think that the first arch (bottom left) is not drawn properly and makes the whole bridge seem angular.

I lost sight of the drawing early and then couldn't correct since the paint got so thick. Next time Ill slow down.

nice smoothness in the background, is this acrylics? if so you must have worked very quickly!

la

It is acrylics. The background is very watered down. It took about an hour after the drawing. It's small- 8x10

Thanks again!

jimwhalen
02-26-2018, 09:00 AM
Your knife work is wonderful, rich and thick and full of energy. The water is special. Looking forward to seeing more of your knife work.

cmallav
02-28-2018, 08:27 AM
The bridge looks soooo life like...like I want to touch it! Nice!

mudar
02-28-2018, 01:48 PM
i think you where successful when you work on the details at the bridge, witch give it that prominence.

john
02-28-2018, 04:08 PM
I like it. The imperfect perspective/drawing doesn't bother me at all. It's not realism. A cut above the ordinary.

Artchrispy
03-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Thanks Jim, Chaya, Mudar, and John. :)

graphicali
03-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Definitely looks 3d. I don't think it matters if the perspective is a little bit off. When you look at this you get the feeling of the mass of the structure, good bit of knife work!