PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Abstract Landscape in OP xpost Oil Pastel Forum

SnapV
02-19-2018, 02:16 PM
Here is a quick little landscape I did to play a bit with my oil pastels as it had been a while I had used them and I still consider it a difficult media to work with (moreso than my Neocolor crayons or my colored pencils).

Not certain if this could actually be called abstract as I really donít know much about art theory but it certainly is not realistic :P (feel free to remove this post from the abstract forum if it doesnít qualify).

Itís done with mostly Mungyo Gallery Soft Oil Pastels with some Sennelier and Caran díAche (was testing them as I have gotten a few of each to compare) on Sennelier Oil Pastel Card 12x16 inches.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2018/1986145-SnapV_Abstract_Landscape_OP_resized.jpg

KreativeK
02-20-2018, 09:50 AM
I love your very bold colorful approach to a landscape, Virginie, and admire your efforts in trying out new media; definitely a contemporary piece with abstracted shapes and forms.

Katie Black
02-20-2018, 01:41 PM
It is what I would call a happy painting.:) I love your clouds and the mountains are really cool.

birdhs
02-20-2018, 03:28 PM
This the Abstract & Contemporary Forum, so, yes, this does belong here, and you could also cross-post it in the Landscape Forum, as well as the Pastels Forum.
You will get different responses in each Forum. That can be valuable for a beginner.
As for my 'critique":
the colors are quite bold, almost stained glass feel. If they are intended to be that bold, then you did good.
The green area could be reduced by 1/2 so as to not detract from the mountains, or something could be placed on it as a COI. As the composition stands, the well-rendered sunshine competes with the green for my attention.
Overall, I might suggest looking at 'atmospheric perspective', just to be familiar with the idea. If you are going for a bold contemporary look, it still could have some tonal differences for stronger effect.
Put this up on a wall and recreate it 10 different ways, experiment with the basic look and it will amaze you how the same composition can seem like 10 completely different paintings. And be sure to share your new works with us!

looking forward to seeing more from you

greggo

Boafamily
02-20-2018, 03:55 PM
Looks like an interactive show about to take place.

SnapV
02-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Thank you for the nice comments Kay and Katie.

Greggo Ė Actually the stained glass look is exactly what I was going for so Iím pretty happy it turned out this way. I really love working in super-bold colours in general.
I agree with you about the green area now that you mention it, I should have reduced it in size. Thank you for the suggestions as well I will try to work on all that and do some new versions of it to see how it goes!

Anthony Ė Could you please explain what you mean by interactive show? Iím not sure I understand.