PDA

View Full Version : Fixative anyone? - X post from portraiture forum.

armada_setyadi
02-19-2018, 09:39 AM
I have posted this in portraiture but i think it's better to post here as pastel acts similar to charcoal (vine more precisely).

Do you spray your charcoal using fixative? 1). What brand do you recommend? 2). I'm a bit skeptical it's expensive in my country but can it really prevent from smudging or it just reduce the smudging to some extent? I do mostly vine charcoal, some charcoal pencil for strengthen the dark value, and sometimes white pastel for highlight when drawing on a toned paper.. 3). Does fixative change your drawing value? (Perhaps making it darker or anything like that). I ask because I'm worried if someday someone orders commision from other cities and I need to pack my drawing and somehow it smudges.

Thanks for sharing..

Donna T
02-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Armada, many of us have struggled with the fixative issue. Here are some links to discussions that might answer your questions:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1442626&highlight=fixative

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1422489&highlight=fixative

I hope this helps!

armada_setyadi
02-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately those don't answer my question. I still want to know how to ship and pack charcoal drawing on paper safely, preferably without the help of fixative, because it seems that fixative creates another complication like color dull and unwanted splattering..

Donna T
02-21-2018, 11:21 AM
Maybe glassine paper would help you. You could tape your drawing to a slightly larger size foam-core board with artist tape, then cover it with a layer of glassine and tape that as well. Another foam-core board would be placed on top (like a sandwich) and the boards are then taped together so there would be no possibility of shifting or rubbing. This method has worked for me when I ship a pastel and so far so good.

armada_setyadi
02-21-2018, 04:20 PM
Thank you Donna for the suggestion..