PDA

View Full Version : Tectonic

Eraethil
02-19-2018, 02:41 AM
Tectonic, 12" x 12" mixed media on cradled wood panel.

Just a little one that I've been working on now and then for a long time. Finally finished it up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2018/104815-Tectonic_WEB.jpg

Katie Black
02-19-2018, 12:13 PM
Nice. Although I feel like the white plaster would benefit from being an off-white somehow. I do love the swirling reds underneath.

Eraethil
02-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Interesting thanks! Is that feeling due to it seeming unfinished or the high contrast between the darks and the white, or the difference in colour between the three whites I have used? The white in the swirling red passages has a warmer zinc white tone.

Katie Black
02-19-2018, 01:25 PM
I think it is because it looks unfinished to me.

La_
02-19-2018, 01:54 PM
strangely fascinating piece, rick
with your 'tectonic' title my mind tries hard to see an aerial perspective.
with your color choices (is that brown madder or aliz and burnt umber?) my mind leans into csi, organs, especially hearts and entrails. please take no offence to that, i'm not squeamish, rather, intrigued with that anatomy.

my fave part - top right corner
my least fave part - the contrast of smooth (paint) vs texture (non paint) is a bit of visual treat And conundrum, the conundrum is that the paint tries to look digital to me, a little too pasted on (this certainly could be the whole on line viewing experience thang).
the fix? what if - a bit of paint was drawn across the texture - perhaps in that 'river channel' between the grid square and the 'heart' to the left of it ... and what if that river of paint snuck ever so little under the bottom left corner of said grid and peeked gently out the other side.

or not, lol

la

jimwhalen
02-19-2018, 06:05 PM
Rick, I find the swirling reds to be interestingly beautiful, like strawberries and cream, but somehow the surrounding white leaves me wanting more, as if it's unfinished.

Artchrispy
02-19-2018, 07:31 PM
This is really great Rick. It reminds me of a collage due to the stark contrasts in color and texture. It makes me want to figure out if the paint skins were transferred or was the stucco /plaster applied over a finished pour? It's ok if you want to keep the process to yourself :) Great color/ limited palette.

Eraethil
02-19-2018, 11:51 PM
Thanks gang! This is a bit of a conundrum to me. I really enjoy the white textures, but I suspect many people react to it as an unfinished piece. Will have to think a bunch more on that, thanks. Great feedback.

Thanks Christopher. I'm not one to hold back "secrets". The texture was applied atop several small pours and then the cast acrylic grid applied on wet acrylic paste.

laf.art
02-20-2018, 04:41 AM
Cherry meringue - thats what I immediately thought - I want to take a fork and break up the meringue a bit

Boafamily
02-20-2018, 08:41 AM
This has plenty to feast the eyes upon Rick nicely executed my friend.

KreativeK
02-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Cherries and strawberries with cream, very delectable! Agree about the white texture.

Eraethil
02-20-2018, 10:11 PM
Thanks gals and guy, appreciate the comments. I'm going to have to think long and hard on this white thang. I love white... so I'll have to find ways to make it look finished even when it is a stark textured white.

cmallav
02-22-2018, 04:37 PM
Rick, I like it the way it is. So unique. It does not look unfinished to me

Eraethil
02-24-2018, 02:47 AM
Thanks Chaya.

Katie Black
02-24-2018, 09:19 AM
Oddly enough I looked at this on my mobile phone and it looked different, it looked okay, finished, whereas on my monitor it looks unfinished.

Not sure why that happens but maybe irl it looks finished.

Eraethil
02-26-2018, 12:36 AM
It's hard to say whether most people irl would feel it looks finished. I think it does look finished when viewed in the real, but it is great feedback to ponder for future texture-heavy work. Abs/Con is a great place to get feedback that can help you grow!