PDA

View Full Version : WIP Landscape

Katie Black
02-18-2018, 10:41 AM
Hi Folks, I thought I should post here before continuing on with this..

What are your thoughts? Does the sky need more work? Is it finished? Is it boring? It is acrylic 18" x 30" on board. I prefer honest feedback.

At this point I am just playing around trying to find what I like.

Katie Black
02-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Okay, sorry, here it is..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2018/620452-IMG_4637.JPG

KreativeK
02-18-2018, 12:20 PM
Your work is never boring, Katie, quite the opposite. To me it looks finished. It is nicely balanced with color and shapes. Love it as is.

trufflecat
02-18-2018, 01:54 PM
This is a lovely abstract landscape. The only suggestion I can think of is to add more of a focus somewhere. One idea would be to lighten/brighten the distant yellow between the hills (sunshine streaming through?) and/or emphasize the distant houses since that's a spot your eye is likely to travel to. The sky is a bit dark but that doesn't matter except that if a bit lighter it might go back more. Now it is a bit prominent, but maybe you want it that way.
I love those touches of red or magenta and white on the ground. Great colors everywhere.

it'sALLart
02-18-2018, 03:33 PM
I think this is a terrific start, Katie! I think the sky is the weakest part. I'd be tempted to get a big scraggly brush and just do some horizontal strokes of paint over it and get rid of the almost-traditional feel it has. For me, it doesn't do the rest of the painting justice. You've got this funky neo-traditional feel to the rest (which I'd love to see pushed further) and the sky isn't matching it. I also think the 2nd hill to the distance is so much the same tonality of the main hill that it's flattening out the composition.

My two cents, take what works and ignore the rest! :)

Artchrispy
02-18-2018, 03:40 PM
I thinks its beautiful Katy. There is a near mirror like symmetry between the top half and bottom half and the different color notes are echoed throughout the painting. Any added finer detail might detract.

Katie Black
02-18-2018, 04:17 PM
Kay..Thank you!

Truffle..I like the idea of bringing more focus somewhere by lightening the yellow area. I will give that a go.

ItsAllAr..Brilliant!! I have a good instinct for what looks right, and I knew something was wrong with the sky but I couldn't put it into words..thanks for that. I will look at defining the hill more as well.

Artcrispy..I agree. I will change the sky, lighten the yellow area on the left and leave it at that..thanks.

jimwhalen
02-18-2018, 05:25 PM
Been out of tow, so I'm late coming to this, but I agree wit Keith and Susan about the sky the rest of the piece looks finished to me and I like it very much.

birdhs
02-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Katy, I agree with the need for a gentle COI, and the other suggestions,
but
at first glance it
just seemed so peaceful and perfect.

john
02-18-2018, 09:54 PM
Sorry, I'm no help. Looks great as is.

Maybe a "road" to lead the eye back into the painting?

Cool painting.

Trier
02-18-2018, 11:06 PM
No help either, Katie, except to observe that the painting looks more natural to me upside down because of the values of the sky and water bands.

Very nice no matter which side is up!

Regards,
Trier

Eraethil
02-19-2018, 02:21 AM
I was going to suggest changing the sky colour, because that typical sky blue seems to be askew from the intriguing palette you have in the rest of the landscape. (almost too predictable to fit with the rest)

But I like Keith's suggestion even more.

It's close and doesn't need much. Cheers,

Katie Black
02-19-2018, 11:58 AM
Jim..yes, thanks, I'm going to alter the sky today.
greg..I'm not going to change it too much, but I think the sky needs some work and I like the idea of highlighting the yellow.
John..I sometimes take things too far and then spoil the painting, so I think I will just stick with the sky and the yellow highlights.:)
Trier..Yes, it appears to work upside down as well! thanks.
Rick..Yes, I think the sky is the main problem. I will repost when I have it changed.

La_
02-19-2018, 02:00 PM
i'll just vote that i Love the chaotic control of this piece, it has just the right amount of structure without over structuring and just the right amount of mess without over messing.

i'm out of my league to agree or contradict any of the specific suggestions above so i'll bow out and leave it at that :)

la

Katie Black
02-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Thanks La. Here it is then with the alterations..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2018/620452-IMG_4647.JPG

cmallav
02-22-2018, 04:35 PM
Katie, Beautiful. Just looking at the first post of the painting and I'm glad you took the focus away from the sky and onto the land!

Boafamily
02-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Katie I am feeling this one for sure.

~JMW~
02-22-2018, 07:43 PM
Could be photo /lighting /camera change, but I kind of liked the fresh look of the original ..

Katie Black
02-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Chaya..thanks, I agree that the focus now is more on the land.
Bo..Gracias
JMW...Thank you

laf.art
02-23-2018, 01:26 PM
You've brought it into much sharper focus with the changes Katie it really looks like you've painted a specific place

Katie Black
02-23-2018, 03:15 PM
Thanks!..I bet there is someplace just like that...out there somewhere.

it'sALLart
02-23-2018, 05:23 PM
Nice changes, love the layers now. Was hoping for a more ragged sky, but this works just as well. Love that you do ab-scapes, my favorite art form.

Katie Black
02-24-2018, 09:24 AM
itsAllart..When you pointed out the problem with the sky, I could see it needed correcting, but I had no real clue what to do, so I just did as little as I could. If you could show me an example of a ragged sky (I'm a visual person) then I would know what you were getting at, that would be great..if you don't have one no worries.

it'sALLart
02-24-2018, 10:30 AM
Katie, will PM you on this! :-)