It is 30" tall, 11" deep and 24" long.
Painted with acrylics.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2001/dreamship2.jpg

the inside

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2001/dreamship3.jpg

sassybird
07-14-2001, 07:35 AM
leaflin

This is pushing the limits, gal, and I mean that in a GOOD way. Don't ever be afraid to experiment and take things as far as you want to go. I had 3 college art profs drill that into my head. It loosened me up and opened a whole new world for me with my art. You did a great job on this:clap: :clap: :clap:

Leaflin
07-14-2001, 09:51 AM
Thanks Sass.
Good advice :)
I don't know about you, but everytime I post a 'creation' I get a knot in my stomach. :D

mclaughlin
07-18-2001, 04:28 AM
I imagine that the old Baron Muenchhausen took his flight to the moon in this wonderful dreamship .

leaflin,...that is incredible.:clap:

This is pure Jules Verne

Leaflin
07-18-2001, 01:48 PM
Thank You Mclaughlin
I really had fun coming up with this. :)

TeAnne
07-20-2001, 03:50 AM
WOW Leaflady, this is great. What patience and insite you have. WOW :cat:

Leaflin
07-20-2001, 04:50 PM
Thank You TeAnne :)

SanDL
07-24-2001, 06:56 PM
I love this Leaflin, pleease describe the process...it's just wonderful. Can I go for a ride?:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Leaflin
07-25-2001, 04:16 PM
Thank you SanDL
I am going to make another one soon only this time take photos.
Maybe submit it to channels to go along with the Van Gogh demo I did.

The balloon part is a huge balloon covered with 8 to 10 layers of papier mache' strips.
The bottom part of the balloon is a butter tub, again covered with layers of srtips.
The ship is again papier mache' balloons cut into different shapes, attached, then machied together.
In the center is a dowel rod holding the whole thing together.
It goes from the outside bottom, through the balloon to the top where there is an eye hook secured to hang it from.
The floor is foamboard, papier mache'.
The trim around the balloon is reed from basket making, of course covered with papier mache'.
The sails are parts of papier mache' balloons.
Inside stairs are made from mat board.
I still have some to add to it.
Would like to make creatures to ride inside.
Glad you like it.

If you want to check out the Van Gogh Demo it tells what basic supplies to use.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/Leaflin/124/

Papier Mache' isn't what it used to be :)

StarGate
07-31-2001, 04:04 PM
Cool work leaflin - inspiring :-)
Are the colors you are using in Dreamship Iridescent colors?
John

Leaflin
07-31-2001, 09:14 PM
Thank You John :)

The paints I used are Palmer Prism Metals, Prism Pearls and Plaid Metallic Folk Art with a bit of glitter thrown in.
They are Iridescent but are not of the quality found in Golden Iridescent.
Golden makes a gold mica flake which would look great on something like this.
It doesn't come cheap and is hard to find.

Mich451
08-01-2001, 10:54 AM
Makes me wish I was an inch tall...

colorme
08-01-2001, 06:53 PM
leaflin, I love your dream ship!! metalic paints are the best:D Can't wait to see what else you make!

Leaflin
08-04-2001, 07:55 PM
Thank You Mich and colorme
Mich I am going to make "furniture" for it one day so when you shrink you'll have somewhere to rest your head :)

Allan Jameson
08-07-2001, 11:03 PM
Leaflin.....oh my gawd!!!!!.... this is absolutely stunning what a jewel of a creation,what imagination.... its just wow!!!

Leaflin
08-08-2001, 08:26 PM
Thanks Allan
I love doing fun art like this.
The more it sparkles the better :)

Allan Jameson
08-08-2001, 11:00 PM
After I saw your Dream ship yesterday I thought now would you put something like that,I thought about it all afternoon and then it hit me .....the childrens section of the library,it would look fantastic,here in Australia the Governments by pieces of art like yours for just that purpose.

paintfool
08-10-2001, 04:05 AM
And Fantasy lives on! What a wonderful thing that you've brought to my mind! Thank you!!!!
Cheryl

Sailing off on the 'Dream Ship'! :)

StarGate
08-10-2001, 06:02 PM
leaflin - DreamShip is really cool and inspiring and keeps my artistic muse thinking :-).
I have been thinking about your colors (iridesent) so I got a tube of Iridesent Pearl (fine - comes in course for a more texture) any brand should work as long as it is white - add a little color to the Iridesent Pearl (any transparent colors = they look metalic to me). I found that the Quinacridones and Phthalos worked best - some of the Earth colors used in small amounts gave pastel soft browns with a metalic shine (not a true matalic look)
John

Leaflin
08-12-2001, 01:30 PM
Allan...The childrens section of a library is a great idea!

I'm glad you like it Cheryl :) Thank you.

John...Thanks for the info.
It is amazing all the neat stuff that is out there.

Ruth
08-13-2001, 11:12 AM
Leaflin, I didn't know this was here until somebody posted a link in Acrylic forum. It's wonderful!

I used to do a lot of papier mache and loved it, haven't thought of it in years. Just might have to clean off a table top and try it again. Thanks for showing this.

Ruth

Leaflin
08-14-2001, 03:52 PM
Thanks Ruth
I think my whole house is turning into papier mache'
My husband made me a coffee table out of rough wood.
I got out my strips of mache' gave it 4 or 5 coats then put a finish on it.
It turned out great. :)

RonMarko
08-14-2001, 06:36 PM
Gorgeous work Leaflin - The background that you have this setting on makes the whole piece come together and appear as one large semi-abstract painting!
Beautiful.:clap:

PS. You can untie that knot in your stomach now!

-Ron

Leaflin
08-17-2001, 09:51 PM
Thank you Ron
The piece of material I used for the backdrop is called lame' which means cloth with metal threads running through it.

Knots are gone, just butterflies now :D

gsb
11-13-2001, 10:55 PM
Leaflin, this is splendid! Visions of super special Christmas-tree ornaments dance through my head!

Leaflin
11-22-2001, 08:52 AM
Thank you gsb :)

joemajury
11-24-2001, 07:40 PM
Leaflin - this takes my breath away, its wonderful, the colours the shape, just WONDERFUL!!!!!!

Joe
;) ;)

Leaflin
11-30-2001, 10:07 AM
Thanks Joe :D