PDA

View Full Version : Which picture of this work of mine is better?

Gerardo G.
02-02-2018, 01:46 PM
I have this two pictures of a work of mine: Sculpting a Crane. Can you please tell me which picture is better and why? It would be super helpful.

A.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2018/1984738-1984738-Work3.jpg

B.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2018/1984738-Sculpting-a-crane-4.jpg

La_
02-02-2018, 01:59 PM
neither photo shows the complete work

are you showcasing the work or the photography?

la

Gerardo G.
02-02-2018, 03:00 PM
Thank you la for your answer. It's a three-dimensional sculpture. In that sense, a picture simply can't show it completely.

I'm showcasing the picture. Now, I can't do that without presenting my piece through it; it's the subject of the picture.

La_
02-02-2018, 03:44 PM
If it's the photo you'd like to sell i think it's good, tho the format could be better as a square.
If it's the sculpture you'd like to sell i think you need more light in the photo and a glass cube to protect the sculpture from curious hands.
As a three dimensional sculpture, the photo certainly could show it more completely if you included a mirror ;)

la

Gerardo G.
02-02-2018, 08:15 PM
Thanks la, I appreciate your thoughts. You didn't answer: which one do you consider is better and why?

~JMW~
02-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Hard to say..I'd prefer more options..
one is too dark & one too light-seems faded or washed out looking..
I don't care for all the empty area with the positioning as it is..

The mirror idea could be very good to try out..mirror under or behind, on the side, or angled even.....try those with various lighting.. then post the best ones here..

Eraethil
02-03-2018, 12:10 AM
The first is a more dramatic composition. The broader value range makes it more exciting to look at. The second shows a little bit more of the subject, but not enough to make it worth losing the value range.

Gerardo G.
02-03-2018, 04:54 AM
Hard to say..I'd prefer more options..
one is too dark & one too light-seems faded or washed out looking..
I don't care for all the empty area with the positioning as it is..

The mirror idea could be very good to try out..mirror under or behind, on the side, or angled even.....try those with various lighting.. then post the best ones here.. Thanks JMW! Part of why I like that angle is that, thanks to the name of the piece, many tend to assume correctly how it looks from the other angles. For example, they correctly assume that the back consists of just two straight planes that meet in the corner.

The first is a more dramatic composition. The broader value range makes it more exciting to look at. The second shows a little bit more of the subject, but not enough to make it worth losing the value range.
That's a very concise and very clear explanation. Thank you so much. I'll definitely work on the first one and try to just a little more light where it's needed :).

Artchrispy
02-03-2018, 03:01 PM
I like them both but prefer a more square format for this subject. There is more detail in the shadows in the lower image but the light and the temperature contrast is obviously less dramatic.

Gerardo G.
02-04-2018, 04:58 PM
I see what you mean. There are different pros and cons to both pictures. Thanks Artchrispy.

cmallav
02-05-2018, 08:40 AM
I like the second as I can see more details and I like the gold color in it