PDA

View Full Version : Critiques Requested

Laurelwood
01-30-2018, 07:26 AM
Hello, I'm brand new to abstract painting. I am typically a realist painter, but I'm finding that side of my brain doesn't want to work anymore...too much fussy detail. The exploration of abstract painting is so refreshing and enlivening, not sure I can even go back to realism. Please tell me what you think of these - the good, the bad, the ugly. :) Many thanks!

Materials used varies: acrylic paint, latex paint, gloss gel, flexible modeling paste, small amount of oil paint. All on acrylic primed stretched cotton canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2018/1975111-Winged_Flight_-_small.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2018/1975111-T_Cole_Does_Spring_-_small.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2018/1975111-Growing_Cliffside._-_small.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2018/1975111-pinklake2_-_small.jpg

KreativeK
01-30-2018, 08:09 AM
Wow, Laurel, all these are stunning! So freeing, spring-like, and happy! I do realism at times but not 100% as the detail attention is very tiring. Love your works!!!!!

Laurelwood
01-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Thank you so much, Kay. Your work is absolutely lovely - especially the scenes and florals on your website. Been experimenting with irises lately - bearded and ruffly, so much fun.

birdhs
01-30-2018, 11:45 AM
The way you captured the texture in the photographs really lets us see the depth.
These are very unique paintings and the colors are just right.

no criticism needed
perfect

greggo

jimwhalen
01-30-2018, 11:51 AM
I'm with you about realism being tedious and boring.

My thoughts on these:

They are captivating. I like the way you used the texture and how it interplays and in some places directs or dictates the color. I especially like the 2nd and the 4th one. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

ShawnD
01-30-2018, 01:13 PM
Wow...super unique and inspiring work! Thanks for sharing!

Katie Black
01-30-2018, 01:57 PM
Hi there, I particularly like the first one, but all have something which I like.

I like that you are using texture and strong colour....just keep on doing what you are doing because that's how you evolve and learn.

cmallav
01-30-2018, 04:25 PM
I see cityscapes in all of them except the first which is more abstract. As Katie said, keep painting and playing (as abstract painting is all play!) and you'll get better and better!

Artchrispy
01-30-2018, 07:52 PM
2 is my favorite. It does seem to want to be a pond or lake but still very abstract. The colors and contrasts in the thicknesses of paint really make it stand out. 1 has nice texture too. 3 and 4 seem to have less contrast of different elements, or at least the contrasting elements are too equally divided, if that makes sense. The last one also looks like a water scene with the horizon dead center and the lights and darks divided almost 50 /50. Sometimes when a painting is too 50/50 is seems more static. A realist painter Kreutz used to teach that tension in a painting is good and its created by pitting elements against each other ( light vs dark, grey vs color) and letting one the elements dominate.

trufflecat
01-31-2018, 10:53 AM
I would agree that 2 and 4 are the best. It might be instructive to think about why. My guess is that the reason is that they have a clear center of interest. Your eye travels 'into' the painting and lands in an interesting place. The others are good too but have less focus, in my opinion. Keep up the good work!

Boafamily
01-31-2018, 03:45 PM
Love the textures and movement of your pieces.

Laurelwood
02-01-2018, 06:31 AM
Thanks, all - I really appreciate your insights and observations...gives me a little bit to think about regarding center of interest and creating more tension. :wave:

hmshood5
02-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Is it me, or do I see Gene Kelly in the 2nd painting?

laf.art
02-11-2018, 10:30 AM
I particularly like the second but they are all good to look at

evebart
02-11-2018, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure which are my favoriteŚmaybe the first and the second? I think they're all really cool though (for what it's worthŚnot terribly experienced myself). Nice work branching out!