PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry display trays for pastels

DBfarmgirl
01-20-2018, 01:05 PM
I may have come across a solution to an ongoing pastel storage problem.
I found these plastic, stacking trays and thought I'd try them for sorting my pastels in a flatfile drawer. They worked perfectly. The 1/2 size I used is 7.25x8.25x1. I had hoped to use them 5 across at the 8.25 side, ended up using the 7.25 dimension. I had thought of stacking them 2 high and putting my spare halves under, but ended up using some of the extra trays. I spread my colors out more than my previous trays so the greens are no longer in the same drawer.

I was able to fit my mount visions in with depth to spare. The trays have a sort of bellybutton from the mold, but I used felt on the bottom..

I bought a full sized, 8.25x14.75x1, with a flocked insert to use as my working palette in front of my easel. Photo below.

They sell these on eBay and Amazon, but I ordered mine from Gems on Display, they were less expensive even with the shipping. I also ordered some to organize my bottles of paint on my rolling cart, havent started on that project yet.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2018/215035-IMG_2607.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2018/215035-IMG_2605.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2018/215035-IMG_2606.jpg

Donna T
01-20-2018, 01:43 PM
Those trays are so nice! They look to be custom made for you and your gorgeous collection of pastels. Thanks for the photos!

DBfarmgirl
01-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Thanks Donna.

They also come in white, in depths of 1, 1.5, 2, and 3 inches. Some can be ordered with Lids, along with different inserts or just velvet for the bottom. They arent even that expensive. Endless possibilities. They wouldn't be good for travel, but for studio storage they work well.

I am still organizing the pastels. I was able to add my Ludwig to general population so now they will be much more convenient.

Sharen

water girl
01-20-2018, 02:57 PM
I like this idea!

Donna T
01-20-2018, 04:29 PM
I just checked out the Gems on Display site and they have so many trays to choose from! There is a new one with a wooden compartment liner. If I had known about these years ago I probably wouldn't have bought my medium Heilman box. I love it but I don't use it for travel and the extra money would have bought a lot more pastels! It's really helpful to know that the Mount Visions fit. Thanks again, Sharen.

DBfarmgirl
01-20-2018, 05:14 PM
You're welcome. I hope it can help others.

Here's the web site if anyone is interested
www.gemsondisplay.com/assorted-jewelry-trays-pl42

Mount visions are taking over my pastels, if they hadn't fit it would have been a deal breaker.

I looked at other sites but gems on display had what I needed, were reasonable, replied to my email quickly, and shipped quickly. One of the others had 1/3 and 1/4 size too, but their shipping was crazy. I wondered if people living in more civilized areas may get them directly from a jewelry wholesaler or store.

They are pretty sturdy, much less squirrely than my foamcore ones so I can move them around and rearrange easily.

Sharen

greengirlgreen
01-21-2018, 05:53 PM
You're welcome. I hope it can help others.

Here's the web site if anyone is interested
www.gemsondisplay.com/assorted-jewelry-trays-pl42

Mount visions are taking over my pastels, if they hadn't fit it would have been a deal breaker.

I looked at other sites but gems on display had what I needed, were reasonable, replied to my email quickly, and shipped quickly. One of the others had 1/3 and 1/4 size too, but their shipping was crazy. I wondered if people living in more civilized areas may get them directly from a jewelry wholesaler or store.

They are pretty sturdy, much less squirrely than my foamcore ones so I can move them around and rearrange easily.

Sharen

Thanks for sharing this Sharen. Iím going to take a serious look at them.
More importantly, however.....whatís that amazing looking shiny drawer system youíre using? I love it and want one!

DBfarmgirl
01-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Green- the shiny drawers are my flatfile. I have these boxes in one drawer, about hip high, and my unisons a drawer above that. My easel is beside it so all I have to do is open the drawers and I can start working. Safe and convenient.

stapeliad
01-22-2018, 11:42 AM
What a great idea! And your collection is beautiful.

greengirlgreen
01-23-2018, 01:35 AM
Green- the shiny drawers are my flatfile. I have these boxes in one drawer, about hip high, and my unisons a drawer above that. My easel is beside it so all I have to do is open the drawers and I can start working. Safe and convenient.

That sounds like a perfect setup, DBfarmgirl!

marksmomagain
01-23-2018, 07:31 PM
I love the jewelry trays. I love finding good uses of 'non-art' things for art supplies :).

I also have flatfiles, two wooden ones and a steel one. Every artist should have them, sooo handy.

robertsloan2
01-25-2018, 02:52 PM
Wow these are cool! I see how effective they are for pastels. Gorgeous and very tempting to use those. I particularly like the clear lids ones, those would be great for seeing what I have if I have them out somewhere. That tends to make me paint more often.

DBfarmgirl
01-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Thanks everyone.

My set up with the flat file works really well. I don't know what I would do without it (probably be less of a paper hoarder)

'Non-art' things always seem less expensive than 'art' things too.

Robert, I agree, being able to see all the lovely colors is a motivator. I liked the lidded ones too, since mine are in a drawer I didn't need them. They had carriers but i dont know how sturdy they would be, pastels are heavy. I like that they stack as long as I don't pile the pastels up too much. I will probably be tweaking things for a while.

I am still rearranging all my colors. The reds were way off, before my cataract surgery all of them looked the same, now I can see the differences. I kept buying red pastels looking for the right red not knowing I already had it. After I am done cleaning, I'm hoping to make a lot of new dust.
Sharen