PDA

View Full Version : Mame

Frankie Wolf
12-25-2017, 11:38 PM
It's been many a long year since I have been on Wetcanvas. I believe I joined in my early 30s and now I am in my early 50s. I am sure that I am only vaguely remembered, if at all. But one of the reasons I so enjoyed Wetcanvas all of those years ago was because I was inspired deeply by a fellow artist-member who went by Mame (Molly Hill).

We talked some here, but mostly I just admired her from the edges.

Even after life became... complicated... I would occasionally search for Molly and her work on the web to immerse myself again in the bountiful inspiration of her rich narrative paintings. They spoke to me in a thousand languages.

In 2016, to my horror, one of those searches informed me that Molly had died in a house fire in April of 2015. I hope to not bog down this post with the sequence of my reactions to that news, but ultimately, I did paint an homage.

It is a simple piece - using roughly the colors and style that I remember best as being a part of her visual vocabulary - with the red thread that for some reason, to me, always represented Molly and her work. The red thread that she might use in a painting to dangle eggs from a stick or to tie a bird-hat to a man's head. Only this thread dangles quiet and alone - spooled loosely on the floor - cut short by unyielding Atropos.

Molly - dear - this is for you, one of my great artistic influences. I hope you are happy and creating on the other side of the veil.

'Inspiratus' 2016 Frankie Wolf

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Dec-2017/4134-Inspiratus_Frankie_Wolf.jpg

Yorky
12-26-2017, 04:20 AM
I didn't know Molly Hill, but here is her website (http://www.mhillart.com/archive.html). She seemed to do mostly figures in a contemporary style. She last posted in 2013.

Doug

dupliKate
12-26-2017, 12:00 PM
I certainly remember Mame and am very sorry to hear of her untimely passing.
She created the most evocative and fascinating figurative work. I believe she was very active in the Debates forum as well. Rest in peace, Molly Hill.