PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this?

AjatheArtist
07-12-2001, 08:51 AM
I have been experimenting with color pencil over acrylic washes lately. Has anyone tried something similar, and if so, what kind of results did you get? Are there any archival or technical reasons why this wouldn't work?
Here is an example of what I'm talking about (http://www.geocities.com/ajadr/page21.html)

T-Rex
07-13-2001, 07:59 AM
Hi Aja, welcome

I've done mixed media w/ink,watercolor and cp. I don't know about doing cp over acrylics, but it seems like it wax over plastic wouldn't want to adhere too well unless it were sealed some way....not sure....someone should be able to help tho, Good luck:D ........Karen

TeAnne
07-20-2001, 03:37 AM
WOW, I really love the artwork on your site. :D

AjatheArtist
07-20-2001, 09:41 AM
Thanks TeAnne! I just checked out your site. Very cool. Love the color pencil stuff. How do you like working on the black paper? I read an article in Artist's magazine recently about it.
Anywho... thanks for checking out my site!

Leaflin
07-20-2001, 05:22 PM
Hi Aja
I love your mangos :)
I agree with Karen, but this is a light wash, almost like watercolour so it probably will stay put.
I guess one way to find out is to try to get it to come off. :D
Great Site!

arlene
07-27-2001, 01:55 AM
why do you want to do a wash in acrylic as opposed to a gouache, colored pencil (then using turpenoid to make a wash) or watercolor?

AjatheArtist
07-27-2001, 01:26 PM
For the same reason any artist experiments, to see what happens. I wanted to try color pencils over a toned background and used what I had on hand.

arlene
07-28-2001, 12:44 AM
yep we do like to experiment. I was just curious if there was a specific reason, like in mixing the two to get special effects?

but if you're only after toned paper looks, i think you might be safer with using a paper that's
toned like canson mi-tientes, or using watercolor to wash the background.

AjatheArtist
07-28-2001, 09:03 AM
I agree, it is probably safer to use a watercolor wash. I use prismacolor pencils and love how well they blend. But they usually blend better on a smooth surface. I guess that was my thinking with the acrylic. So far, it seems to be sticking just fine. I used watercolor paper so most of the paint was absorbed by the paper, then I used a spray varnish over the whole thing when I was done. I guess only time will tell of its permanence. I will try the watercolor though. Thank you for the suggestions.