PDA

View Full Version : An hour at the lagoon

literal
07-12-2001, 06:16 AM
On Saturday I took my daughter to the local lagoon for a run around. While she played on the swings I sketched a windmill accross the water and tonight, finished turning it into a painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2001/option2.jpg

I'm thinking of adding a person standing near the right hand side pole. What do you think?

Any other suggestions and comments would be appreciated. I learn from every one of them and I'm still reasonably new to painting.

Thanks

Mark

ps: Join my project "Places near your place" and share a bit of your world with the rest of us. I'd love to see you there.

Rod
07-12-2001, 06:34 AM
Nicely done, great reflections of the hills and windmill and you have the sky colours also reflected well. As far as a figure is concerned the size would be very small and would not really show.
Would have liked to have seen the windmill lighter in colour so that it contrasted more with the trees. Lightest light against darkest dark as the focal point.
Rod.

Javier
07-12-2001, 07:57 AM
Literal, what I like most about your painting, "An Hour at the Lagoon", is that it is at that magical point, that never, never land, between being so realistic that it is like a photograph, and being just a bunch of blobs of color that mean nothing to me. It lets me exercise my imagination but not stretch it beyond all hope. For me, "An Hour at the Lagoon" is a beautiful piece of work. If this is your 'style' I hope you continue with it.

As for the person standing by the pole -- I can all most see that person, there by that bush. ;) The person would only be about 1/4 the height of the windmill.

The Best,

j

Footnote: For anyone who feels offended by my remarks above, I wish to apologize to those who follow "Impressionism" for I was only talking about MY inabilities to understand the style.

BTW, as for me, as a retire engineer -- I paint photographs (It all I can do).

RuthT
07-12-2001, 09:03 AM
Love the soft blending of colours, and the reflections are beautifully done. I agree with Javier, you have a great style. :)

NorahT
07-12-2001, 01:15 PM
What lovely muted colours!! (If I tried that it would turn into mud :( ) A very peaceful scene. IMHO a figure would add something only if it was a muted incidental rather than a focal point.

literal
07-12-2001, 04:48 PM
Rod: - I expected the colour on the windmillt o dry lighter but it didn't lighten quite as expected. I suspect that it may be a charteristic of the paynes gray inthe mix.

Javier and Ruth: - Your comments tell me that I have achieved the 'feeling' that I was reaching for. Thanks. As I look at recent paintings and reflect the leaving of things to the imagination does seem to be a part of the 'style' I seem to be evolving. I'll see where it leads.

Norah: - I have decided not to add a person. In truth I'm worried that if I attempt to add one it will become the focal point and ruin the effect.

Keep the comments coming. They all help.

Mark

taghera
07-12-2001, 04:58 PM
Agree with Rods comment about the windmill, other than that its a great painting.

Leaflin
07-12-2001, 05:39 PM
A beautiful, restful painting and a lovely way to remember an outing with your daughter.
As for the person.
Cut one out of paper the size you desire. Paint it as if it were to go in your painting and play with the placement to see if you like it or not.
I have a multitute of 'little people' on my studio floor. :)

ameliajordan
07-12-2001, 06:27 PM
Beautiful colors - very painterly. I agree with Rod about the windmill but boy is it hard sometimes to tell how dark something will dry :) imho the poles don't really add anything and I think take away from the scene. If I was going to make changes maybe lift some color from the house and blend in the poles more. Then again I think it's a successful painting and you could just sign it :)

majaya
07-12-2001, 08:40 PM
Hi Literal.....I like the peace that you have created here and I agree that you should persue this style. I found that I was distracted by the poles though. At first I wondered what they were, and then I noticed how the end poles were the same distance from the edge of the paper and my mind fixed on them once again. They seemed to be demanding attention and I found it spoiled the serenity of the work. I wonder if blending them a little so that they weren't in such a contrast to the scene would help or perhaps just remove them. Mary

literal
07-13-2001, 03:47 AM
Leaflin: - a great idea - I'll cut some peple out as soon as I log off

Amelia and Majaya: - Interesting point about the poles. I hadn't considered that aspect. I think I'm inclined to consider blending them but I think Ill let it hang around for a day of two and when I've gotten to know it better make the decision then.

Mark

T-Rex
07-13-2001, 08:36 AM
Hi Literal,

Lots of suggestions here, plenty for you to think about. When I first looked at your wonderful work I too was impressed w/ the very wet style and considering it from that viewpoint I think you probably ought to leave it alone. That's a plus, the reflection is awesome and my eye went directly to the windmill, then the reflection ........I like it .....a lot:clap: .....Karen

daydreamer
07-13-2001, 10:47 AM
I think it works as is. I like the suggestion of the windmill. I mean, if you lightened it and made it come out more I think would change the mood.

I like the way the painting creates a kind of late afternoon sunset warmth.

Great reflection in the water.