PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Storage (again): small wooden drawers

soap
11-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Hello
I am on the hunt for some serious pastel storage. I have had enough of tupperware boxes, shoe boxes, old trays and the boxes they came in. I want the forever, proper, professional solution.

I like the fold-open boxes such as Heilman, Dakota and Jacksonís (I am in the UK) do, but I donít need anything for travel.

I also like the small drawer units that shops do like in the pic.

I have little space and one long but narrow table (console table format). The small drawers would be more useful to me than the long fold-open box as I think I could get more pastels out in the drawers than in the box. (my table would fit one large Jacksonís box but probably about 5 drawers in a row)

Has anyone got experience with these sorts of drawers? before I spend a fortune on getting a few I want to make sure!
They all seem (I can only look online) a bit flimsy so hoping some are actually fine.... Seen brands such as Fife, Frisk and Jacksons own brand....

Thanks so much!

water girl
11-21-2017, 02:31 PM
I bought this box a long time ago. It was great for transporting pastels to class. Sturdy and easy to use. I now have many box of pastels stacked on a shelf. I tend to pull out what I think I'll need and place them in a plastic plate/tray with raised sides that came with take out food. I have another one with pastel pencils, erasers and a an awl to unclog my battery operated pencil sharpener. If I am working on 2 or 3 paintings at a time (I'm very attention deficit) I can keep the pastels and pencils I'm using on each painting together.

CM Neidhofer
11-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Hello
I am on the hunt for some serious pastel storage. I have had enough of tupperware boxes, shoe boxes, old trays and the boxes they came in. I want the forever, proper, professional solution.

I like the fold-open boxes such as Heilman, Dakota and Jacksonís (I am in the UK) do, but I donít need anything for travel.

I also like the small drawer units that shops do like in the pic.

I have little space and one long but narrow table (console table format). The small drawers would be more useful to me than the long fold-open box as I think I could get more pastels out in the drawers than in the box. (my table would fit one large Jacksonís box but probably about 5 drawers in a row)

Has anyone got experience with these sorts of drawers? before I spend a fortune on getting a few I want to make sure!
They all seem (I can only look online) a bit flimsy so hoping some are actually fine.... Seen brands such as Fife, Frisk and Jacksons own brand....

Thanks so much!

I have two sets of these holding almost all my pastels and pastel pencils. They are pretty sturdy, as mine have survived a few moves already. I'm happy with them and have had them for several years now.

JustinM
11-21-2017, 07:08 PM
I actually had mine custom made using that 3 drawer version as the inspiration.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2017/60943-16991965_10154080377211685_6221696316322056394_o.jpg

I like them because i tend to work via softness so I will pull one drawer out as a time (as well as randoms from the other drawers) and leave the rest tidily stored away.

I cant speak to the build quality of the kind you've shown but from a usability standpoint they work great for me.

bartc
11-22-2017, 01:46 PM
I recently bought a one drawer version, an el cheapo, on Amazon. While it does the trick, it isn't the best built piece I have, so had to do some reinforcement. But then I built out a complete pochade/easel system based on it, so it's functional for my needs. Had to line the drawer with felt to keep from deteriorating the pastels when transporting it.

soap
11-23-2017, 02:01 PM
Thank you so much for all the wonderful answers. Many shops do varieties of these drawer sets. I think some, indeed, are not the best of quality, but it is hard to guess about this via a computer screen. I am seriously tempted to buy the set Jacksons sell. Nice thing with drawers is you can extend...just plop another set on top..
Thanks again, good to know it works well for you all.

robertsloan2
12-05-2017, 10:40 PM
I've got three of those - a three drawer, two drawer and one drawer (the last was a gift that used to house a Winsor & Newton set). They are great if you need to really limit your space. Very handy. Not very portable compared to other types of boxes but they're awesome in the studio, especially if that's just a corner of a desk in the living room. They hold a lot of sticks, the drawers do come out easily and they're convenient for putting lots in easy reach.

One thing though - the very large fat pastels like Mount Vision or Richeson Hand Rolled will not fit in the shallow drawers. That was a problem when I stored random sample colors in it, the Richeson and the Mount Vision could not fit even in the deep bottom drawer. So I had to put those in something else. They're good for standard size sticks.

Justin, your custom setup is awesome and if I could do something like that I'd create a few drawers just for the big Mount Vision and Richeson Hand Rolled ones.

soap
12-07-2017, 05:15 AM
Good to know, thank you Robert!
I went ahead and got myself some drawers. https://www.instagram.com/p/BcXqmL_FbB3/?taken-by=s_ploeg

robertsloan2
12-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Nice! They are just like my drawers and yeah, that's their best feature. They stack. So a lot of pastels can go on a quite small desk all at the same time.

Right now since I'm living in a nook of the living room of my daughter's house, the pastels I have in those drawers are among the few I can actually reach! Most of the ones in boxes are stashed under the bed or in a stack of tubs. But those drawer boxes are all three stacked on top of the shelf on my desk and very easy to get into. So they rock for the very small space.

Of course once they build my cottage I'll get a huge table and spread out, but that stack will probably still reside very close to where I work or on top of the taboret.