PDA

View Full Version : Painter question

Elainepsq
11-10-2017, 06:18 PM
I stopped using painter years ago. It was too much of a ram hog, too many palettes, I just fell in love with art rage and found it so much less stressful, cleaner and more intuitive. Now, I've been approached by a photographer who wants me to collaborate with her, using Painter to get "painterly effects" I believe the work she showed me is using the cloning tool in Painter, she then prints it out, and wants to ads some dabs of water based oils to actually meld painting and photography. Is anyone out there doing this? The dabbing on of paint, I can handle, I just want to learn more about the cloning. I'm watching some tutorials on the corel site, but I'd like to get some advice from painter users on this.

ptrkgmc
02-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Painter is rather expensive, (to make it attractive?) It is not worth the bucks and I find that most artists are disappointed with it, I was.
SketchBook Pro, $30 per year, awesome tools, awesome app.
:)

Elainepsq
02-08-2018, 06:53 PM
I whole heartedly agree. But when you are doing freelance work, and someone asks for it to be done a certain way.....

ptrkgmc
02-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Sketchbook is awesome:

Elainepsq
02-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Yep, but again, when someone has it in their head that a certain person does it that way, so that's the only way to do it.

jow104
03-11-2018, 05:24 AM
Elaine, I recall an incident some years ago when a local art society disbarred a member who displayed a painting which sold at their annual exhibition for a large amount and later turned out to be oil/acrylic over the top of a photograph.
The society refunded the cost of item, so in answer to your original post, yes it does go on, painting over photographs.

ericu
04-16-2018, 12:59 PM
You can use photoshop. It will look better. In painter, it is done through an algorithm and will look like it was done by a computer. Photoshop has a brush that you actually do a manual by hand paint strokes to turn it into a painting.

L Skylar Brown
04-24-2018, 10:10 AM
To me, There is no advantage Painter. ArtRage(Which I use exclusively now) is much more Painterly. If you squeeze paint from a tube, you can spread it with a very realistic effect.

L Skylar Brown
04-24-2018, 10:41 AM
I thought about this some more - Why cant you do your work in ArtRage, and then pass the image thru Painter for the photographer. I do this type of thing all the time - using more than 1 program to achieve my goal.